What have you learned today?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Octopuses have feelings.

Well, they have as many neurons as a dog, can use tools and recognize individual humans (and hold grudges against them), so this isn't a surprise. Of course, they're not as cute as dolphins, so some people won't care.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Today I learned that Vince McMahon recruited The Undertaker to abduct his own daughter and burn crosses on his lawn (Vince's lawn) in order to somehow take revenge on Steve Austin. And everybody bought it!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
...and burn crosses on his lawn (Vince's lawn) in order to somehow take revenge on Steve Austin.
What? I Googled and found out about the abduction/marriage which was all a part of the outlandish WWE story stuff, but can't corroborate this part. That seems a bit far for entertainment, like TOO far if true. I can't think of a single [legit] billion dollar industry that would associate itself with acts of terrorism akin to the likes of the Ku Klux Klan for entertainment. Source? I've not followed pro wrestling since I was a kid, so I'm not sure how desperate they've gotten for attention and relevance, but this seems to be extreme corporate suicide. South Park could do it, but athletic theater? Not so much.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Apparently there was a really weird incident at the very end of WW2 in Europe where part of the German Army was guarding some prisoners in an Austrian Castle, but since the Reich was crashing down the guards fled, the Waffen SS was basically running around killing people for the lols so some of the local German Soldiers allied with the prisoners and a group of nearby US soldiers to fight off an attack by the Waffen SS together. Honestly, if someone made a movie about this everyone would think it was fictional. Also, I'm shocked this isn't a movie. Someone needs to make this into a film.

Also, apparently Bram Stoker implied, knowingly or not, that that Dracula went to a Magic School run by the DEVIL himself that had it's own ridable weather controlling dragon And knowing that I feel the Dracula in Castlevania feels a little less outlandish now. I mean, really if Book drac went to Satan's Magic school and got to ride a weather dragon, then having a magical chaos castle and being pals with death who lives in his clock tower really isn't that far fetched considering.

Admittedly I read the book once a long time ago so I somehow missed that particular detail but that makes him sound a bit more interesting honestly....and explains a lot of Castlevania's lore, really.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Apparently there was a really weird incident at the very end of WW2 in Europe where part of the German Army was guarding some prisoners in an Austrian Castle, but since the Reich was crashing down the guards fled, the Waffen SS was basically running around killing people for the lols so some of the local German Soldiers allied with the prisoners and a group of nearby US soldiers to fight off an attack by the Waffen SS together. Honestly, if someone made a movie about this everyone would think it was fictional. Also, I'm shocked this isn't a movie. Someone needs to make this into a film.

I found out about this event because of this Sabaton song. It’s a fuckin’ wild ride.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
What? I Googled and found out about the abduction/marriage which was all a part of the outlandish WWE story stuff, but can't corroborate this part. That seems a bit far for entertainment, like TOO far if true. I can't think of a single [legit] billion dollar industry that would associate itself with acts of terrorism akin to the likes of the Ku Klux Klan for entertainment. Source? I've not followed pro wrestling since I was a kid, so I'm not sure how desperate they've gotten for attention and relevance, but this seems to be extreme corporate suicide. South Park could do it, but athletic theater? Not so much.
It wasn't a cross exactly:

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
That eating crab legs makes you gay.

Fucking ****** women, I swear, the stuff that comes out of their mouths...

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Today I learned that some crazy transformers fans are wrong when they claim to be right.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Today I learned that Vince McMahon recruited The Undertaker to abduct his own daughter and burn crosses on his lawn (Vince's lawn) in order to somehow take revenge on Steve Austin. And everybody bought it!
Good news. There was one time when his daughter was pregnant that Vince wanted to do a storyline where HE was the father. Obviously this was a terrible idea. So he suggested his son Shane instead. Also, thankfully rejected.

Then there's Katie Vick.

There's that time Mcmahon threatened (kayfabe) to have the undertaker's wife raped and children kidnapped.

Honestly don't know why people miss the attitude era so much. The wrestling was mediocre and the story lines were edgelord nonsense. Hardly anyone had the wrestling talent of Brett Hart, Mr. Perfect or Ricky Steamboat. And the few that had were either relegated to the mid card/jobbing or horribly badly booked because Vince didn't know how to handle someone who isn't just a mound of man meat.

The attitude era had big personalities I guess. Stone cold was a great performer and could go on the mic, the rock could go on the mic but was a bang average wrestler.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I can't think of a single [legit] billion dollar industry that would associate itself with acts of terrorism.
In the early 00's WWE had a character who was Afghani-American whose apparent storyline was "it's terrible that people act like all Muslims are terrorists."

The story culminated with him praying and a group of balaclava clad terrorist looking guys appeared and attacked the Undertaker. Also he was a white guy they browned up.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Honestly don't know why people miss the attitude era so much.
It was the late '90s, where "having an attitude" and telling all and sundry to fuck off as loudly as possible, preferably while wearing blue jeans and something emblazoned with a beer logo, was seen as "maximum American". I guess some people still identify with that.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Honestly don't know why people miss the attitude era so much. The wrestling was mediocre and the story lines were edgelord nonsense. Hardly anyone had the wrestling talent of Brett Hart, Mr. Perfect or Ricky Steamboat. And the few that had were either relegated to the mid card/jobbing or horribly badly booked because Vince didn't know how to handle someone who isn't just a mound of man meat.

The attitude era had big personalities I guess. Stone cold was a great performer and could go on the mic, the rock could go on the mic but was a bang average wrestler.
Vince has always had fetishes, and wasn't all that subtle about it.

I admit, i got more interested in Titan Tower's product during Attitude, but it was more because the era I loved of rassling, the Mid-South/JCP, WCCW, and Memphis shows, were dying out, especially since the morph into WcW that completely shit on it's legacy. I needed something to fill the gap and I hadn't much access to ECW or Japanese promotions yet. Soon as Ruthless Aggression era started, I tuned out.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Vince has always had fetishes, and wasn't all that subtle about it.

I admit, i got more interested in Titan Tower's product during Attitude, but it was more because the era I loved of rassling, the Mid-South/JCP, WCCW, and Memphis shows, were dying out, especially since the morph into WcW that completely shit on it's legacy. I needed something to fill the gap and I hadn't much access to ECW or Japanese promotions yet. Soon as Ruthless Aggression era started, I tuned out.
To be clear, I get why people liked it at the time. I was a kid and I loved it, I'm being a little bit of a hypocrite because a good chunk of my t-shirts are Mick Foley ones. What I don't get is how people miss it through a modern lense. Nostalgia I guess is the obvious answer.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
To be clear, I get why people liked it at the time. I was a kid and I loved it, I'm being a little bit of a hypocrite because a good chunk of my t-shirts are Mick Foley ones. What I don't get is how people miss it through a modern lense. Nostalgia I guess is the obvious answer.
I was actually in college when it hit. Again, my formative wrestling world was guys like Dusty Rhodes, The Road Warriors, Ric Flair, The Von Erichs, Midnight Express, you get the picture.

But if I can say one thing that they did right in the Attitude era that I miss was that they still weren't afraid to let the talent be "themselves", so to speak. Wrestling, even if it was partially scripted has never been more obnoxiously scripted as it is now.