What have you learned today?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Got my first jury summons, which was weird. Then found out that indeed green card holders can not be on a jury. Why send me the form? Disappointed.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Got my first jury summons, which was weird. Then found out that indeed green card holders can not be on a jury. Why send me the form? Disappointed.
They may not realize it. I think they just draw from a list of adults in the area randomly. That's why there's a bunch of exceptions listed, IIRC and you can always go in and plead you have circumstances that make it difficult for you to sit on a jury if applicable.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned about the FCF league, or Fan-Controlled Football. It's an American football league wherein fans pick players and select plays in real-time. Not sure how it works exactly, and it's likely a very casual "for fun" league, i.e.: don't suspect the NFL is actively scouting them, but it is an interesting idea.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Today I learned about the FCF league, or Fan-Controlled Football. It's an American football league wherein fans pick players and select plays in real-time. Not sure how it works exactly, and it's likely a very casual "for fun" league, i.e.: don't suspect the NFL is actively scouting them, but it is an interesting idea.
Had me at the fascinating idea, lost me with the NFTs. Kinda scared to check up on Blaseball

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Michael Caine spent 8 years trying to never blink while acting because of an acting book he once read.

Kind of reminds me of Robert Patrick, who similarly trained to not blink while firing a gun for the T-1000.

Patrick also held his breath during scenes when he wasn't speaking, for a more machine-like appearance.

My arteries: "Yeah, we out."
IIRC Arnold also did this for all his Terminator appearances

Anyways, this is both disturbing and intriguing, but more-so the former -

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh, had no idea NFTs were in any way involved. Not surprised. More disappointed that bullshit has infected an already bullshit outing.

Either way, I don't think any American football league outside of the NFL will every gain traction again; I'm actually quite curious why they keep trying. This FCF is at least different enough to garner some passing interest/morbid curiosity, but shit like the XFL and USFL need to just stop. I had a fleeting affair with the Canadian Football League (CFL; ) I picked the Ottawa Redblacks as my team to root for since red and black are my favorite colors... yeah, that's how interested I was. As long as the NFL produces the product it does, anyone who comes to run alongside shouting "WE'RE FOOTBALL TOO!" is destined to fail. This is the USFL's, what, 3rd attempt? It's like building a Walgreens next to a Walmart: put "failure" as the last bullet point on your business model.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Oh, had no idea NFTs were in any way involved. Not surprised. More disappointed that bullshit has infected an already bullshit outing.

Either way, I don't think any American football league outside of the NFL will every gain traction again; I'm actually quite curious why they keep trying. This FCF is at least different enough to garner some passing interest/morbid curiosity, but shit like the XFL and USFL need to just stop. I had a fleeting affair with the Canadian Football League (CFL; ) I picked the Ottawa Redblacks as my team to root for since red and black are my favorite colors... yeah, that's how interested I was. As long as the NFL produces the product it does, anyone who comes to run alongside shouting "WE'RE FOOTBALL TOO!" is destined to fail. This is the USFL's, what, 3rd attempt? It's like building a Walgreens next to a Walmart: put "failure" as the last bullet point on your business model.
Yeah, "just build your own league" doesn't quite work when there's a finite amount of talent for hire. Though that doesn't mean local leagues can't be a thing: the regional Single A Short Season baseball league where I live got cut loose from the MLB and are making an independent go at it. Absolutely zero chance at competing with Major League Baseball, but it doesn't have to and it's not trying.

Hilariously, the XFL spooked the NFL enough that the NFL finally started investing in better camera work.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, "just build your own league" doesn't quite work when there's a finite amount of talent for hire. Though that doesn't mean local leagues can't be a thing: the regional Single A Short Season baseball league where I live got cut loose from the MLB and are making an independent go at it. Absolutely zero chance at competing with Major League Baseball, but it doesn't have to and it's not trying.

Hilariously, the XFL spooked the NFL enough that the NFL finally started investing in better camera work.
I don't think the NFL was so much "spooked" as they simply usurped XFL ideas, like the Borg in Start Trek: "We are the [NFL]. Existence, as you know it, is over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."

But in either case, trying to gain relevance as a new football league when the NFL is overwhelmingly the most popular league in America is always going to be an uphill fight, particularly when your version of the sport is nigh indistinguishable from the NFL. USFL has 8 teams, and ALL games this season are being played in one of two stadiums in Birmingham, Alabama, so it's not even like potentially curious home team supporters will attend; they're banking on the same people showing up to every game. I watched a game last weekend, and the stadium was mostly empty; you probably could have snagged a ticket for like $15, and that's simply unsustainable, employing hundreds of people, transportation, equipment, etc., all to have no substantive viewership for your product? In all likelihood, the USFL has seen it's final season... again.

And I don't think the FCF even expects a another season, but at least it has employed a gimmick to make anyone want to turn their head during the NFL's off-season moves and draft week. I still don't expect it to last, but at least they're trying something different.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, so I'm watching an old thing about railway crossing safety in the US in the 70s (like you do), and it said that 1 in 3 collisions between trains and cars happen when the car crashes into the train. As it, the train is already going through the crossing when the drive of the car tries to.

Also, in some parts of California, they have to keep large stockpiles of spare gates, because people kept crashing into them in large numbers.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Ok, so I'm watching an old thing about railway crossing safety in the US in the 70s (like you do), and it said that 1 in 3 collisions between trains and cars happen when the car crashes into the train. As it, the train is already going through the crossing when the drive of the car tries to.

Also, in some parts of California, they have to keep large stockpiles of spare gates, because people kept crashing into them in large numbers.
It's because most people were, and still are, far too stupid and inattentive to be safely allowed to control a motor vehicle. And these people want flying cars?!

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I learned that Evil Roy was a movie. Now the avatar makes sense. I think I'll have to watch this some day.

Also one of the actors in the movie is named Pat Buttram. How does anybody end up with the name of Buttram? Tragic.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Also one of the actors in the movie is named Pat Buttram. How does anybody end up with the name of Buttram? Tragic.
I remember seeing a Nascar newscaster over a decade ago with the name "Dick Trickle." My family still has a giggle about it when we remember that was a thing

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I remember seeing a Nascar newscaster over a decade ago with the name "Dick Trickle." My family still has a giggle about it when we remember that was a thing
If Dick is short for Richard, he could have gone for Richie Trickle, which is embarassing, but less so and in a different way.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
If Dick is short for Richard, he could have gone for Richie Trickle, which is embarassing, but less so and in a different way.
Going by Richard could've avoided nearly all of the embarrassment as well. Going by Dick with a last name like that had to have been a very conscious choice