What have you learned today?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eek! OTOH, you seem to be typing ok, so even short term you seem fine, but that can't have been fun.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Jeez, what laptop do you own, the Razer Blade!?
I don't think it cut it like a blade, so much as the corner "caught" some of the skin in passing, and continued rapid movement of my hand put that skin under enough sudden stretch tension that it (and the odd layer of tissue underneath) split.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You know, not that long ago you could have been on TV as a warning about the dangerous of these new computer things corrupting our youth or that lefties are into.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Iteresting, but more importantly, does this also work for mosquitos and wasps?
Not quite. Dead wasps tend to trigger murderous vengeful frenzy among peers (occasionally mislead about the actual culprit, I must add). And mosquito corpses don't seem to trigger neither revenge nor depression, because mosquitos are twats.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Iteresting, but more importantly, does this also work for mosquitos and wasps?
Not even remotely. Mosquitos are servants of Satan, and they thrive on suffering. Be it the despair of their victims following a bite, or the death of their comrades upon a proper swatting, they love it all. All the mosquitos nearby rub their nipples out of lust and gluttony every time I curse out loud after having slapped my ankle to kill one of their fellowship. The picture below isn't under magnification; it was from about 4 feet away.

1692970327148.png

And wasps? If mosquitos are the servants of Satan, wasps are a militant hate group planning a coups in Hell because they believe they can do evil better than Satan.

Lastly, flies are the drunken uncles that you cut off and kicked out of the family barbecue an hour ago, yet you still find him hovering around the cooler of beer every 30 seconds.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In medieval mythology, it was believed that flies (probably include mosquitos) are the devil's version of bees, just as bats are the devil's birds and wolves the devil's dogs. Compare Tolkien with trolls being the evil ents and orcs being the evil elves.

Mosquitos are the greatest enemy that mankind has ever faced. It's only been within a few generations that the West has mostly stopped having to worry about them.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Mosquitos are the greatest enemy that mankind has ever faced. It's only been within a few generations that the West has mostly stopped having to worry about them.
Meanwhile, new cases of the mosquito-born West Nile virus are making news here in North Texas. Let me know when we can really stop worrying about mosquitos. Personally, it's the first frost when they're killed off for a few months; you'll find me outside like this:

Reactions: Kyrian007

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
In medieval mythology, it was believed that flies (probably include mosquitos) are the devil's version of bees, just as bats are the devil's birds and wolves the devil's dogs.
But but... why do the bats eat the mosquitoes ?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that Pirelli's full wet tires, at 300km/h, can displace a bathtub's-worth of water per second!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow may have been based on a true story.

That is, the story (about a person who has heard of a legend of a headless horseman and who was chased by a person pretending to be headless and throwing things at him) might have been based on someone who proposed to his sweetheart because otherwise some joker would keep pretending to be headless and throw things at him.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow may have been based on a true story.

That is, the story (about a person who has heard of a legend of a headless horseman and who was chased by a person pretending to be headless and throwing things at him) might have been based on someone who proposed to his sweetheart because otherwise some joker would keep pretending to be headless and throw things at him.
Man, where’s THAT period romantic comedy movie?

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
"NASA is developing a supersonic jet with Boeing that will be so polluting, that by the time you’re halfway to your ski resort, it would have already melted all snow on Earth." (paraphrasing)

Judging from the pictures, is should be able to accomodate two passengers and a half.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"NASA is developing a supersonic jet with Boeing that will be so polluting, that by the time you’re halfway to your ski resort, it would have already melted all snow on Earth." (paraphrasing)

Judging from the pictures, is should be able to accomodate two passengers and a half.
Not a concern, as NASA is only planning on developing it. They have to do something to look busy, they like planning for things that may or may not ever go past the planning stage.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If you can't see while you are driving, you can stick your head out the window and listen for the sound of your tyres scraping against the curbs to steer.

Or so I am told.

Reactions: gorfias