What have you learned today?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If you can't see while you are driving, you can stick your head out the window and listen for the sound of your tyres scraping against the curbs to steer.

Or so I am told.
When running deliveries in the snow one morning I was trying to pass a semi, which was causing white out conditions. No joke, I navigated using the driver side wheels and the rumble strip on the side of the interstate at 70 mph

Absolutely clear vision once I got around it

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Now this is propaganda I can get behind

Reactions: gorfias

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Now this is propaganda I can get behind
Well, I mean, we Americans only learn about other cultures in two ways: Simplistic, heavily-substituted, fattening versions of traditional cuisine, or military intervention. (Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's Day are exceptions, as we use them as justification for getting blind drunk outside of "my sports team won", "my sports team lost", or "this day of the week ends with a Y".)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Comment -

joesephcorey 3 days ago
I was stop-lossed into deploying there in April, 2003. My unit provided security for Bremer and his fellow "Ambassadors" in and around Baghdad. It was such an unorganized, chaotic environment. No one knew what was going on. Too many men and women died there for no reason. This deployment was only 6 months for me but it convinced me to not reenlist. This video is spot on.

History; gotta love it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That Cherami Leigh - recently V of Cyberpunk 2077 fame - has had a very considerable career prior to becoming my favourite genre protagonist that isn’t my own tabletop fuck up artist that walks like a man.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today, I learned what the Union Jack actually is. If I'm wrong, my UK friends please, correct me, because I'm spreading this information like wildfire. No one I've shown this to had any idea.

1693951214170.png

Reactions: gorfias and Absent

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Today, I learned what the Union Jack actually is. If I'm wrong, my UK friends please, correct me, because I'm spreading this information like wildfire. No one I've shown this to had any idea.

View attachment 9600
Well, there are 4 countries in the UK, but Wales isn't represented in the flag, because it was joined with England long before that sort of flag was a thing. But combining different symbols is an old tradition:
The English flag, at a time when England also had lots of little bits and pieces around the place that had their own flag, and they decided to patchwork quilt the thing

Also, the two crowns of Egypt come to mind. They used to have two kingdoms with two different crowns, one red and one white, but when they ended up as one kingdom:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
In the 1982 movie, The Thing, Running dog-Thing was played by Jed, a half wolf that neither growled nor barked. Richard Masur, who played the station dog handler, remembers how Jed would just give you “that look” when he grew uncomfortable on the set.

Being 1/2 wolf made the critter act differently than one would expect, making him appear all the more unworldly.

I found this out the hard way this AM.

Though insect repellent may not have a listed expiration date, the summer staple does lose its effectiveness over time

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
In the 1982 movie, The Thing, Running dog-Thing was played by Jed, a half wolf that neither growled nor barked. Richard Masur, who played the station dog handler, remembers how Jed would just give you “that look” when he grew uncomfortable on the set.
Yeah, I was very impressed by that dog, one of the coolest (and creepiest) actors in that film. And I had memorized the name of the dog owner/trainer from the end titles, but didn't have the dog's name.

Anyway. Today I learnt that I am mixing up Rebecca Ferguson and Ruth Wilson for a reason that eludes me completely.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Anyway. Today I learnt that I am mixing up Rebecca Ferguson and Ruth Wilson for a reason that eludes me completely.
I had a similar conundrum with Lauren Holly and Leslie Mann. I think it's a case of them looking just similar enough that remote or infrequent exposure to them allows the brain to blend them into a bland "hey, I recognize that actress" soup that I ultimately push to the back of my mental fridge only to occasionally peek at it to remember that it's there, but can't be bother to deal with it.

My gf hates it, because I'm constantly pointing out people who look like other people, but find myself unable to name who "they" look like, and then struggle to even recall where I saw "them." Probably twice a day, I'll point at someone on the screen and say, "oh, that's the guy from that one movie we watched 6 months ago!" She rolls her eyes, and I end up Googling obscure references in my phone. I know it's annoying, but damned if it's not satisfying when the mystery is solved.

Reactions: gorfias and Absent

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Probably twice a day, I'll point at someone on the screen and say, "oh, that's the guy from that one movie we watched 6 months ago!" She rolls her eyes, and I end up Googling obscure references in my phone. I know it's annoying, but damned if it's not satisfying when the mystery is solved.
You mean the person you are talking to rolls her eyes, not the person on the screen, right?

But yeah, I think everyone does the pointing and trying to remember-ing.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The French word for portmanteau isn't, hilariously, portmanteau. But I already forgot what it was instead.

EDIT: It's mot-valise.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah, I was very impressed by that dog, one of the coolest (and creepiest) actors in that film. And I had memorized the name of the dog owner/trainer from the end titles, but didn't have the dog's name.

I can see the resemblance.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I can see the resemblance.
I suspect it's also a resemblance of acting/attitude/demeanor/hardassery between Mission Impossible's Ilsa Faust and Luther's Alice Morgan.