What have you learned today?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
If you want to hear someone with brains actually talk about that kraken lawsuits, look up Opening Arguments podcast, or Cleanup on Aisle 45 podcast. Both of those have a lawyer (same guy), and he discusses various legal issues in the news, from the viewpoint of an actual lawyer, and explains it in more understandable, non-legal jargon. And he's been delighting the past month or so, in going over how fucking idiotic the kraken claims are.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Apparently there was a dentist in Ohio who practiced from 1922-1946 who was named Dr. Gay Hitler. That may possibly be one of the worst names anybody has ever had, retroactively.
Poor guy. The fact there's a Hitler road and Hitler park in that county is no doubt just a little awkward as well.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
That 6 % of deaths in low-income countries can be attributable to indoor air pollution.

I had never given the matter much thought in the past, other than thinking that burning wood for heat/lightning is very inefficient compared to electric ovens/electric lights which is enough of a concern. I never thought much about the fact that the smoke kills, and if I had to put a number on it I would've guessed for 1 % tops. 6 % on the other hand: that is a lot.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Today I learned via my ostensible brother-in-law (an avid music enthusiast, literally a walking Wikipedia of all things musical, particularly when he's drunk and no one wants to hear it) about Steel Panther, a rock band that has built it's entire reputation on immature and graphic subject matter in their lyrics. One song is funny, the second it's like "Okay, I get it," then the third, and your like "I'm not 14 years old; this is stupid." I thought the one song was a gag for shock purposes, but no, it's pretty much all they do. The musicians are talented, like they could legit be a respectable rock band, but when said talented is shouted over by love ballad-esque lyrics graphically referencing anal sex and/or blow jobs from a trailer park whore with STDs, one can't help but wonder who this "music" is for. After a few songs, I asked him to change it to literally anything else, and he thought I was offended. I had to assure him I wasn't; it was just that the obscene, the one-trick pony had overstayed its welcome; a guy can only take so many references to drug-addicted women covered in semen before a Beethoven sonata is in order to re-balance the mental state.
They sing - and sing well - precisely one song. And it’s a cover of “Don’t Stop Believing”.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
That 6 % of deaths in low-income countries can be attributable to indoor air pollution.

I had never given the matter much thought in the past, other than thinking that burning wood for heat/lightning is very inefficient compared to electric ovens/electric lights which is enough of a concern. I never thought much about the fact that the smoke kills, and if I had to put a number on it I would've guessed for 1 % tops. 6 % on the other hand: that is a lot.
Yes, there's quite a big drive to provide people, especially in rural areas, in developing countries with cleaner-burning stoves because of the health impact, particularly on women and young children, who're in the home all day.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Don't hide rocks behind your shed when you're 33; you'll have to move them when you're 40 and it's much, much harder.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That's Steven Tyler of Aerosmith's real last name is Tallarico, and that he's the cousin of Tommy Tallarico, one of the more notable video game music composers from the 90's to early 00's and the main guy behind the likely future commercial flop console Intellivision Amico (and also a huge douche).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Insert Guardians of the Galaxy meme of "Who?" here.
One of those lolcows from the early 2000's who became internet famous for writing an embarrassing self-insert fanfic/webcomic about a Sanic/Pikachu hybrid. Been arrested before, I think. That's all I have.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Jensen Huang and Lisa Su, respectively the ceo's of Nvidia and AMD, are related. His grandfather and her mother are siblings.