What have you learned today?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If you are going to put NBC (or CBRN or whatever the kids are calling it these days), you may as well put air-con in there as well. I think they also have water coolers as well.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So apparently British Army Tanks have something called a boiling vessel inside that allows them to heat up water. While this is normally to allow them to have hot food and drink out in the field, apparently it's most often used to make....you guessed it, Hot Tea.

And that is the most stereotypically British thing I can imagine. Sitting in a Tank sipping on a cup of tea.
I'm pretty sure they did the same thing with water cooled machine guns in World War 1

But... why? An aircon in a fucking armored vehicle sounds hella reasonable.
Well, and this is conjecture based on small reading, most of the shit we took to Afghanistan was designed for a theoretical escalation of hostilities in Europe with an eventual march to Russia, which is full of fields and forests and most important, gets fucking cold and summers are comparatively temperate; a LAV-25 in a Belgian summer in the 1980s would be uncomfortable to be sure, but it wouldn't be dangerous. However, Australia is a hot and dry country and since our poor diggers have to train with these fuckers all the time, and I think the proving ground was in the Northern Territory which is just, disgustingly hot AND humid basically all the time, the Department of Defence probably figured an A/C unit was less money than inevitable bad press, lawsuits and parliamentary butt fucking from soldiers dying from heat stroke in these things.

So when we took ours to Afghanistan in 2001, all the climate proofing we'd done to them to make them usable in the training environment made them better suited to working in a desert.

If you are going to put NBC (or CBRN or whatever the kids are calling it these days), you may as well put air-con in there as well. I think they also have water coolers as well.
They do, but I think that also serves the practical purpose of being the mission water supply: some of these things are designed to allow their crew to operate for like, four days without returning to base for resupply.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
They do, but I think that also serves the practical purpose of being the mission water supply: some of these things are designed to allow their crew to operate for like, four days without returning to base for resupply.
Oh sure, but I meant more that it's not just a water supply, they cool it as well. But yeah, deserts and jungles and the like make that useful. IIRC, there was a highly publicised negligent discharge during a training accident some years back because it was hot and someone different follow weapon discipline before getting at the water.

By contrast, in the 70s and 80s I believe the British tankers had all sorts of issues with keep the crew warm.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Heard of this case before, but was a bit confused by it and never saw the interrogation footage till now. Especially when the police already had found on her phone footage she recorded of her particular type of chilling crime, and are questioning her as if they know nothing, letting her build a massive wall of obvious lies. Big warning they show that footage around the 1 hour mark and I'd recommend skipping as it's downright chilling: while not graphic, it is her drunkenly mocking the person who is literally trapped and calling for help who would be found deceased there later. The narrator provides clear ample warning beforehand too so it's not out of nowhere. She is a monster, who had no idea she'd already provided the police the exact undeniable evidence of her being a monster before her commited performance for their questioning.

Also, she used the "they're against me cos I'm white" excuse at some point, which by now is the biggest red flag for some dodgy shit being deflected away from.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Vasectomies take 15 minutes to actually perform and are less uncomfortable then you'd think. The worst part is wearing a cup all the time for a couple days afterwards.

Also, part of the post process is to "Clean the swimmers out of the pipes" to ensure no chance of fertility. Aprox 20x ejaculations and/or 10 weeks is the guideline I've been given. It's wierd when "Jerk off/Fuck someone" is a recommended part of the post process.

20 times? I don't know if I can handle that. /s

Source: Me, at the Urology clinic today.

Update: I'm wearing a jockstrap to protect the boys. It's more uncomfortable then the surgery was.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I learned that Robert Clary who plays Lebeau on Hogan’s Heroes survived an actual concentration camp, though twelve of his family did not. It’s why he never wore short sleeves or bared his arms: it was so his camp number wasn’t visible. And Leon Askin, who played General Burkhalter had a prominent scar on his face. In character it was a duelling scar but in life he got it having the shit kicked out of him by the real Gestapo; specifically he was struck in the face with a truncheon.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I learned that Robert Clary who plays Lebeau on Hogan’s Heroes survived an actual concentration camp, though twelve of his family did not. It’s why he never wore short sleeves or bared his arms: it was so his camp number wasn’t visible. And Leon Askin, who played General Burkhalter had a prominent scar on his face. In character it was a duelling scar but in life he got it having the shit kicked out of him by the real Gestapo; specifically he was struck in the face with a truncheon.
Werner Klemperer (Col. Klink) and John Banner (Sgt. Schultz) were both Jews who fled to America to escape the rise of Nazism (Klemperer was German; Banner, Austrian). Klemperer only took the role on the assurance that his character would be bumbling and ineffective, and that the Nazis would always be thwarted.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Werner Klemperer (Col. Klink) and John Banner (Sgt. Schultz) were both Jews who fled to America to escape the rise of Nazism (Klemperer was German; Banner, Austrian). Klemperer only took the role on the assurance that his character would be bumbling and ineffective, and that the Nazis would always be thwarted.
I've been rewatching the show, that's why I went looking for interesting trivia. I also look at it and for all its funny - and it is funny - I often wonder how it would have ended in the era of shows with actual resolutions.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that Melora Hardin (Jan from The Office) was initially cast as Marty McFly's girlfriend in Back To The Future, but was nixed because she was 3 inches taller than Michael J. Fox. They polled women on the set, and it was nigh unanimous that teenaged girls wouldn't date a guy shorter than them. Funny how this is a conversation no one in modern Hollywood would DARE to strike up. Maybe Hardin is due some reparations, lol?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that in 2003, a man's murder conviction was overturned when video footage from an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm corroborated his alibi that he was at a Dodgers game at the time of the murder. He just happened to be in the aisle Larry David and crew were filming, and could be seen clearly, with his daughter, not committing murder. Awesome.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Today I learned that in 2003, a man's murder conviction was overturned when video footage from an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm corroborated his alibi that he was at a Dodgers game at the time of the murder. He just happened to be in the aisle Larry David and crew were filming, and could be seen clearly, with his daughter, not committing murder. Awesome.
Wouldn't there have been lots of witnesses that would have seen him there?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Today I learned that Melora Hardin (Jan from The Office) was initially cast as Marty McFly's girlfriend in Back To The Future, but was nixed because she was 3 inches taller than Michael J. Fox. They polled women on the set, and it was nigh unanimous that teenaged girls wouldn't date a guy shorter than them. Funny how this is a conversation no one in modern Hollywood would DARE to strike up. Maybe Hardin is due some reparations, lol?
Not remotely the most asinine reason an actor or actress has been refused, or removed from, a role.

I mean shit, the casting agent for The Terminator rejected O.J. Simpson on the grounds he seemed “too nice” to play a murderous robot.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Wouldn't there have been lots of witnesses that would have seen him there?
Yes, likely dozens of witnesses. Would any of them have noted him and remembered clearly enough to testify or even realize he'd been arrested for murder and come to his aid? No.

Not remotely the most asinine reason an actor or actress has been refused, or removed from, a role.

I mean shit, the casting agent for The Terminator rejected O.J. Simpson on the grounds he seemed “too nice” to play a murderous robot.
To be clear, she had the role already and filming had begun, 6 weeks of filming, but Eric Stoltz cast as Marty McFly. He was then fired, and Fox re-cast in the role, and that's when it was determined Hardin was "too tall." It's one thing to not give someone a job because they don't fit particular criteria, but to take someone's job over a very niggling detail is bit harsher, and one I don't thing would fly in these hypersensitive days. They might invent a passable reason to swap her out, but I don't think overtly asking other women if they'd date a guy shorter than them, then firing the actress based on those responses would sit well.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Apparently the Emperor of Japan is only supposed to marry a woman shorter than him. I'm told this has inevitably led to shorter and shorter Emperors, but don't know if this is true.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Apparently the Emperor of Japan is only supposed to marry a woman shorter than him. I'm told this has inevitably led to shorter and shorter Emperors, but don't know if this is true.
I mean, if true then that's basically the only way it could go. Like how fishing/hunting makes populations smaller because you're removing the biggest specimens from the gene pool