What have you learned today?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
On July 26, 1184, Henry VI, King of Germany, held court at Petersberg Citadel in Erfurt. The combined weight of the assembled nobles caused the wooden second story floor of the building to collapse and most of them fell through into the latrine cesspit below, where about 60 of them drowned in liquid shit.

It's called the Erfurter Latrinensturz, tho I prefer calling it Die Ausgleichende Gerechtigkeit

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
On July 26, 1184, Henry VI, King of Germany, held court at Petersberg Citadel in Erfurt. The combined weight of the assembled nobles caused the wooden second story floor of the building to collapse and most of them fell through into the latrine cesspit below, where about 60 of them drowned in liquid shit.

It's called the Erfurter Latrinensturz, tho I prefer calling it Die Ausgleichende Gerechtigkeit
Guy Fawkes was claimed to be the only man to enter Parliament with honest intentions. I'd say that Petersberg Citadel was the only parliament to be honest about its inhabitants.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Never heard Gary Oldman's real accent till last week when he was on a local interview. Was surprised to hear he is an extremely humble, softly spoken guy with a working-class London accent, more like an adorable kind uncle really. And that he directed Nil by Mouth which was a passion project he still is paying back these days.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Awkward.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I guess my question would be, what the hell are schools teaching if the ones that grew up around the most technology aren't learning what’s apparently needed.

Also cause, meet effect -

I had the crazy thought that affordable access to BC for women would be preferable to a bunch of innocent suffering, but that’s probably ironically sacrilegious or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Tulsi Gabbard is intrinsically connected to a cult called Science of Identity where she was born and raised, with her parents that are basically second in command to the main cult leader, who has the most offensive attempt at a neckbeard ever observed (and the competition is already fierce there)...

Oki, just wow, is really baffling how nobody bothered to vet Gabbard before she got into any power. Like, it's a known thing that anyone running for office has their whole past combed through for dirt to use against them in elections, usually prioritised over promoting any helpful policy too. But not even the republican press bothered! Wtf? The only way I can see that making sense is they saw that her dodgy (still relevant) connections with an anti-gay cult actually kinda lines up more neatly with their own grievances and ideology so saw her as a useful chip to cash in later.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I guess my question would be, what the hell are schools teaching if the ones that grew up around the most technology aren't learning what’s apparently needed.
Okay, a few things to unpack here. Just because you grow up using a technology doesn’t mean you understand their inner workings unless you make an effort to learn them. Plenty of people can use a computer, most of them cannot fix them

Second of all, technical problems on corporate devices aren’t the end users responsibility to fix and even if they can, group policy settings and basic IT security will mean that they can’t. And expecting them to is asinine when whole sections exist to provide that function and business continuity.

[/QUOTE]
Making scrambled egg in the microwave. Game changer.
Additional tip, cook the eggs to a point where there is still a little bit - need to eyeball it cos it varies on how many eggs were used - of uncooked egg and stir around the rest of the cooked bit through that, allowing the residual heat to cook the rest of the egg. And voila! Creamy and delicious microwave scrambled eggs.

Reactions: Baffle

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Okay, a few things to unpack here. Just because you grow up using a technology doesn’t mean you understand their inner workings unless you make an effort to learn them.
Learning what shit does and how to use it is generally the easy bit. Understanding how it does it all is when things can get really complicated. You don't need to know that heat (and light) are the by-products electrical resistance (let alone the actual formula for the conversion) to use an electric kettle. You don't need to understand how internal combustion works to drive a car. How many people can even explain what a semi-conductor is? Yet we get into all sorts of issues when there's a shortage of the buggers.

Second of all, technical problems on corporate devices aren’t the end users responsibility to fix and even if they can, group policy settings and basic IT security will mean that they can’t. And expecting them to is asinine when whole sections exist to provide that function and business continuity.
IT sections take a very dim view of people trying to fix things themselves as it almost invariably ends up taking them more time to sort things out than if they'd be handed the problem in the first place... OTOH, less of the IT section acting like utter cockdrops over every single matter would also help.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Learning what shit does and how to use it is generally the easy bit. Understanding how it does it all is when things can get really complicated. You don't need to know that heat (and light) are the by-products electrical resistance (let alone the actual formula for the conversion) to use an electric kettle. You don't need to understand how internal combustion works to drive a car. How many people can even explain what a semi-conductor is? Yet we get into all sorts of issues when there's a shortage of the buggers.

IT sections take a very dim view of people trying to fix things themselves as it almost invariably ends up taking them more time to sort things out than if they'd be handed the problem in the first place... OTOH, less of the IT section acting like utter cockdrops over every single matter would also help.
I agree; like you’re there to help the person. Be helpful, and maybe remember that they may not know how to repair a Word install or map a network drive as you do. But I’d bet dollars to donuts that if you tried doing their job, you’d be fucked.

As it were.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I agree; like you’re there to help the person. Be helpful, and maybe remember that they may not know how to repair a Word install or map a network drive as you do. But I’d bet dollars to donuts that if you tried doing their job, you’d be fucked.
You can alway guess which IT goblin is gonna end up running the show if they stay long enough.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Okay, a few things to unpack here. Just because you grow up using a technology doesn’t mean you understand their inner workings unless you make an effort to learn them. Plenty of people can use a computer, most of them cannot fix them

The article didn’t articulate very well as to where on the scale of tech savviness Gen Z is actually, and where are they expected to be. It mentions them growing up with technology that older generations “had to learn” by contrast, but the point still stands why they aren’t learning or even being taught what is apparently considered adequate is kind of baffling. While it’s unreasonable one should expect every Gen Z’er to innately know specialized IT training more than older peers, the problem sounds more fundamental than that.

Additional tip, cook the eggs to a point where there is still a little bit - need to eyeball it cos it varies on how many eggs were used - of uncooked egg and stir around the rest of the cooked bit through that, allowing the residual heat to cook the rest of the egg. And voila! Creamy and delicious microwave scrambled eggs.
Ever tried a tablespoon or so of mayonnaise? Hellmann’s even has a vegan option that makes eggs nice and fluffy. Not sure how much results would vary when microwaving, or if the fluffiness would perhaps be compounded. Might give it a whirl.