What have you learned today?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Russia apparently has a long, dignified history of fucking up military operations in a way that comes across as a Dark Comedy. Notably the 2nd Pacific Squadron during the Russo-Japanese War.

I mean, they barely left the Baltic and almost started a war with the UK by "Accidently" shelling a fleet of British Fishing Trawlers and the only reason it wasn't worse is because they were such poor shots that most of the shells missed their targets. Except the few where they started shelling each other for some bizarre reason.

As a former US Sailor, I appreciate the sheer amount of fuckupery(I don't know if that was a word before but it is now) on display here especially knowing that as many times I fucked up in the US Navy, I could never outdo these guys. To be fair, I was middle Enlisted at best and not an Admiral with a screaming habit.
Perhaps it’s because they drink vodka like water over there, but that’s just a wild guess.

Na Zdorovie!

Anyways, this kinda adds a whole new meaning to the term “madness” -

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Apparently, we're 3D printing houses now, because that's what the world needs, right? Right? I mean, we needed an easier, more expensive way to build homes people won't be able to afford, right? Actually, I'd prefer a compromise and someone start 3D printing shanty towns for the homeless, but I guess 3D printed homes is a start.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Actually, I'd prefer a compromise and someone start 3D printing shanty towns for the homeless, but I guess 3D printed homes is a start.
I mean, we could do something with some of the sixteen million vacant dwellings in the US, but then next thing you know we're standing in bread lines under the hammer and sickle.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
On the one hand, that's some impressive scaling of the tech.

On the other hand... whuh? Fucking why?
The technology to make homes has advanced more quickly than our willingness to actually address homelessness. Along those same lines, all these billionaires coming out of the wood works with their space programs sending an advantaged few into orbit when that same money could be used to put millions of helpless people in a home, get them food, get them healthcare. I'll never understand this world beating its dick raw over what it can do versus what it should do.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Apparently, we're 3D printing houses now, because that's what the world needs, right? Right? I mean, we needed an easier, more expensive way to build homes people won't be able to afford, right? Actually, I'd prefer a compromise and someone start 3D printing shanty towns for the homeless, but I guess 3D printed homes is a start.

Seems like a modern, more technological advanced take on the kit houses Sears used to sell.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huh, saw Sears kit house on my FB recently. Anyhoo, a few years back they were talking about how robotic bricklayers will revolutionise the industry.

In the 50s in the US, they'd get a big hemisphere shaped balloon as a sorta mould and cover it with concrete, then deflate it when it set, so you'd get an instant dome. But then they realised that dome shaped houses weren't that practical.

thestor

Dec 19, 2007
The technology to make homes has advanced more quickly than our willingness to actually address homelessness. Along those same lines, all these billionaires coming out of the wood works with their space programs sending an advantaged few into orbit when that same money could be used to put millions of helpless people in a home, get them food, get them healthcare. I'll never understand this world beating its dick raw over what it can do versus what it should do.