Many buckets of paint
Stud finder
Laser level
The services of a plumber, electrician, and handyman
New locks
A shitload of cleaning supplies

Owning a house is expensive.
Yes, yes it fuckin’ is……..

Anyway, I got a wired controller for my Switch - but I might replace it since I can’t wake the damn thing up with it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ikea came to our country recently, so we ordered a bunch of stuff, all the while exclaiming how cheap it was. The order arrived the other day, wow what a bunch of garbage. Basically anything plastic felt cheap as shit, which I guess I should have expected. We still have plastic cups, bowls, and utensils from Ikea in the US, some have been with us for for literally more than a decade and are in great condition. Sad to see even Ikea couldn't maintain their quality.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Ikea came to our country recently, so we ordered a bunch of stuff, all the while exclaiming how cheap it was. The order arrived the other day, wow what a bunch of garbage. Basically anything plastic felt cheap as shit, which I guess I should have expected. We still have plastic cups, bowls, and utensils from Ikea in the US, some have been with us for for literally more than a decade and are in great condition. Sad to see even Ikea couldn't maintain their quality.
Ikea is one of those places where you really do get what you pay for.

I have a really nice leather loveseat that I got at ikea that I absolutely love, but it was also like $1000, so not exactly cheap. I also got some utensils that I really like because they're heavy and have a nice balance.

One the other hand all of the glassware that I bought was complete crap, and wooden cutting board that I got started splintering within like a week, and any of their furniture that's made of particle board should be avoided at all costs.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Edited for total truth. Particleboard has limited uses in furniture. I personally avoid it like the fucking plague because I know it'll just fold like a shitty suit at the first sign of any trouble.
I call particleboard "disposable furniture." Any time I've moved, pb stuff goes straight to the trash.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Edited for total truth. Particleboard has limited uses in furniture. I personally avoid it like the fucking plague because I know it'll just fold like a shitty suit at the first sign of any trouble.
Particle board furniture can be good for people who move a lot. It's light weight so it's easier to move, and since it's cheap you feel less bad if it gets damaged during the move since it's more easily replaceable. It's tragic if a nice piece of furniture gets scuffed up in the moving truck or gets banged against a wall while you're carrying it inside.

That said, I think a lot of the particle board furniture that Ikea carries is especially cheap and shoddy, even among cheap and shoddy furniture. Maybe good enough as temporary furniture for a dorm room but not much else.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
So I learned that the model of the IKEA display case I have had a habit of exploding. Not breaking or falling over but the back glass panel randomly exploding without warning. I was perplexed at first but some theories suggested too much tension on the glass from the top screws being tight. I've had mine for years so I'm guessing my laziness in putting the thing together saved me from disaster

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So I learned that the model of the IKEA display case I have had a habit of exploding. Not breaking or falling over but the back glass panel randomly exploding without warning. I was perplexed at first but some theories suggested too much tension on the glass from the top screws being tight. I've had mine for years so I'm guessing my laziness in putting the thing together saved me from disaster
I had a glass top office desk where the glass top randomly exploded and ended up destroying the 32" monitor that was on top of it. I was lucky I had been too lazy to cable manage properly or it would have knocked over my PC as well.

The glass was sandwiched between 2 pieces of wood on the left and right side. Looked great, felt great, then one day the wood swelled a little and pressure on the glass caused it to shatter. I'd had the desk for like 3 years at that point and had never had a problem. 2 and a half years later I still pick tiny shards of glass out of the carpet in that room occasionally.

Reactions: Vault101

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
The glass was sandwiched between 2 pieces of wood on the left and right side. Looked great, felt great, then one day the wood swelled a little and pressure on the glass caused it to shatter.
Yeesh, note to self for any potential build ideas I come up with...

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Queen size flat black bed sheet. I'm gonna nail it behind my TV, front speakers and TV cabinet.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Why? Like is it a streaming thing so people can't see outside windows? Or like a sound baffle?
So that when I'm watching movies in darkness and there are brighter scenes, the white of the wall doesn't stick out. Maybe the black bars will fade slightly into the bedsheet as well. I don't know. But I'm excited to find out if it enhances the visual experience.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kong versus Godzilla. They had it on sale earlier this week for $11.99 on Blu-ray/DVD combo at Best Buy.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
The lowest tier of the Big Music 2 bundle at Humble Bundle.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Really wanted the leather bound edition but was sold out, and I won’t be paying an exorbitant price for one on eBay.

Also, more reasonable -

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Bought a new phone. Nothing Fancy, totally utilitarian purchase. But after enduring so many hand me downs it feels great. Especally nota having to deal with storage issues anymore.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Its my birthday coming up soon, so my girlfriend contributed significantly towards a new desk chair, and I paid for the rest.

I've been hearing a lot of great stuff from Secretlab, and their chairs came strongly recommended from a friend of mine, so I went for their large model, in grey fabric.

That should arrive, fingers crossed, in time for my birthday in April.
So last year for my birthday, I got a brand-new chair to replace my old one.

I'm not a big fan of the racing style chairs. I honestly think you're better off with a standard office chair unless you care about the aesthetics more than about general comfort and back support. Basically all of the racing chairs are the same and come from the same couple of factories in China and just get different colors/branding. Gamers Nexus did a great video about it.
I then got this reply, which I immediately shrugged off because I thought that 1) It was already purchased, so I couldn't exactly do much about it anyway, and 2) Because I had heard literally nothing but good things about Secretlab, so I assumed it would be different.

Well, I guess I was wrong about No. 2, because today, one of the armrests fell off.

The metal plate that held the arm rest onto the chair had completely been sheared off, at all four joints!

Luckily, I am still covered under warranty (5 years), so I can hopefully get a replacement, but it still stings having a £400 chair failing after not even a year.

So yeah, don't be me, take @Dirty Hipsters advice, and get a good-quality office chair instead.

Last edited: