What if Ganon kidnapped Link instead of Zelda?

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
I guess it could work if Link hasn't gotten the Master Sword yet, but this brings up the issue of why Ganondorf doesn't kill Link once he has him in his clutches. I guess he could use him as bait for Zelda, but he's kidnapped Zelda before with minimal problems. If he's got Link already, why not kidnap Zelda too and be done with it?

kidd25

Jun 13, 2011
oh no the noise is back, zelda saving the world why WHY IS THE NOISE BACK. help help its horrible.

in4ser

Mar 27, 2009
Personally I'd like a different twist to it. Play as a weakened Ganondorf newly resurrected or freed, who progressively regains strength by corrupting Guardians and relics all over Hyrule. Maybe sidequests recruiting or building an army with Moblins and other mobs or what not, which would pop in to help you invade Hyrule Castle. The final level would be you invading Hyrule Castle, fighting off the Hyrulian Army and matching up against Zelda or slaying the King or soemthing.

Having a fun easter egg would be a battle with Link which you win if you "kill him" and a fairy rezes him or soemthing.

Of-the-Lion

Feb 18, 2010
I would love to see nintendo do this, but with a twist: it's an FPS.
That's right, Samus won't be the only Nintendo girl blowing away monsters from a first person perspective.
Or to go another route...
The Legend of Link. A 2-D sidescroller that plays like a combination between Zelda 2 and Kirby. I say 'Kirby' in reference to Kirby's mobility. Those who have played Zelda 2 can attest to Link's lack of agility while not under the effects of performance enhancing spells. The biggest question would be the matter of attacking. Zelda could wield a sword like Link and cast spells which require refillable ammo, or she could cast spells as a sole form of attack. When she runs out of magic, she can only use one or two low level spells.

If they do ever make another game where you play as Zelda (And let's face it: THEY WON'T) I only hope that it is not a clone of the other Zelda games. I love seeing side characters get their own innovative, not-another-fucking-tetris-clone, games. I still rank "Luigi's Mansion" higher than any cannon Mario game. Why? Because it was fresh. Because I had never played a game with an approach to gameplay like that. And more importantly, it gave the biggest blind spot in Nintendo's ranks a chance to shine. I would love to see a Zelda game starring Zelda, and I think that somewhere deep inside Nintendo, is that same desire. Zelda's transformation to Sheik was an opportunity for Nintendo to develop her character from Bruce Wayne to Batman. But they didn't. Instead, we've been watching the same person that once dressed like a ninja with a badass harp, get captured over and over by a pig no stronger than a child. I feel like the time for a princess Zelda game has passed. Her character has been too reinforced through the rest of the series. Suddenly changing her character into a self-reliant, independent woman would yield similar results to the whole "Other M" issue. You can't sell someone 5 Rambo movies in a row showing John Rambo as an indestructible killing machine with deep emotional scars, and then in the sixth installment he decides to run a shelter for lost kittens out of his garage.

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
Well, provided Zelda was a telepathic magic-user (like she is depicted in the actual games) and the game was more puzzle oriented I can't see how this would be fucked up.

Course, another option no one has mentioned is maybe the game is Link escaping. Maybe its a stealth game where Link has o sneak out of his cell, gradually regain any gear he might have lost, and ultimately kill Ganon anyways.

Who said we still couldn't play as Link?

Zeikcied

May 24, 2010
mocruz1200 said:
who would gannon know to kidnap, if link never knows he is the hero of time at the beginning of any of the games? the discovery that he is the hero of time usually happens around the halfway point of the game.
This is more or less the most accurate post in the thread.

In every Zelda game, Link is just an everyman. He's just a common villager. Ganon/Ganondorf doesn't even know he exists until after Zelda is kidnapped and Link answers the call to rescue her. Ganon at least knows that Zelda is not only a princess but also from a bloodline linked to the Triforce. Link is a nobody until he starts posing a threat.

So it's just not plausible for Ganon to even know to capture Link instead. But if he did, why only get one? Why not capture both Link and Zelda? Hold them in separate cells in completely different prisons so that there's no chance of them teaming up to escape.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
No. Interesting concept, but don't you change the series that has climbed head and shoulders above all others to claim number one to me. I mean, it COULD be good, but there would be no logic to it. He goes after Zelda because she is known to have the Triforce of Wisdom and except for Wind Waker, you can always find her. Link is the unknown, since he starts as some kid/teen in backwater Hyrule who sees his calling and accepts his fate.

Crazed_Puppeteer

Jan 15, 2011
Hmm...how about this.

Zelda and Link are childhood friends from a random village, Link is kidnapped by a time traveler to get rid of a "hero clad in green", and she trains with the village ninja master to go on a quest to find him. A quest ensues, filled with the normal Zelda schtick modified for a ninja. As her quest goes along, she learns about what SHOULD have happened over the last few years. How SHE should have been the kidnapped one, how HE was supposed to be the hero, and right before the final castle, Ganon conquers all of Hyrule and essentially wins. Zelda finds out, however, that Link never aged due to effects of Ganon's time travel. She rescues him, steals Ganon's time travel thing (she is a ninja), gets Link back to the right time period, and battles Ganon in the past wearing green. Ganon dies, Sheik is mortally wounded, and ends up giving Link the sword he'll need for his future and dies.

Hey, why not? I'd play that.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
If I could play as zelda and use all of her sheik/ninja skills and magical abilities, then I would most definitely look forward to that game.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well you could always make a game where halfway through one of his "Defeat Ganon, save the world" quests, have Link be captured by Ganon. This would mean that Zelda is probably aware of Link's disappearance (him being the Hero of [Insert Relevant Thing Here]) and so she could go out and save him. Although that's kind of what happens during OoT. Link disappears, Ganon takes over, and Zelda creates the persona of Sheik to help resist Ganon. Now it isn't necessarily he saving the world, but it's similar.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
The title of the series would finally make sense. I remember thinking Link was Zelda back on the original because all my cousin gave me was the cartridge and the NES without any manual to explain what was going on.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
I don't think Link would be able to sit down properly for a while.
I mean, why else would Ganon kidnap someone?

Vrud

Mar 11, 2009
Sounds like the only motive we need is a prophecy. You know, "that boy is the key to saving the land" sort of thing. I'm pretty sure that would get a princess's attention.