"What If It Sucks?"

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
As gamers obsessive enough to lurk obscure gaming forums all day it should come as no surprise that many (if not all of us) have at one time religiously followed the development of an upcoming game we were absolutely dying to get our hands on. From sequels of successful franchises to new and original IPs created by renowned developers, developers can pretty much calculate their projected revenue based on pre-sales alone these days.

So your standing in front of Gamestop at midnight (or on the east coast sitting in front of your PC waiting for the clock to strike 3, lol Steam) with fantasies of your future adventures in this new release filling your brain. But how many of you stop and ask the question, "What if it sucks?"

Has there ever been a game that you built up to incredible expectations only to have those expectations completely and utterly demolished? Are there any games that you are excited for, but deep-down know that they may possibly suck? Share!

I'll be honest here, I love the ME franchise but I am seriously worried about how their going to wrap up the trilogy.

Also, whoever gets where the thread's title comes from gets +300 cupcakes.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I don't know that I've ever been crushed with disappointment as I'm generally very choosy about the games I decide to buy anyway. I won't buy something at all unless I know I'll at least like it. That said, there are definitely some minor disappointments that may be good but just don't live up to what I expected of them and/or wanted out of them.

My most recent one has to be Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I ate up every trailer and bit of info released for the game prior to launch and made sure to pick it up day one.. only to not really love it all that much. The supposed vast amount of playstyles basically ended up being play stealth and have easy mode or play anything else and beat your head against a wall. I also found the story much more intriguing in terms of idea than actual followthrough. Oh, and the fact you spent your entire time in Future Montreal stuck in a large building really annoyed me.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I once chose Rise of the Argonauts over Fallout 3. Because I was afraid I'd be too disappointed by the later.

...yep.

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]somebody hold me[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Fappy said:
Fanboys, right?

I actually spent most of Skyrim's hype time thinking this. Morrowind is a top 2 game of all time for me, and I really didn't care for Oblivion at all, in comparison. I was concerned about the direction the series would take. Fortunately there were more good moves than bad.

I almost never pre-order games because I just don't want to get burned like that.

I Stomp on Kittens

Don't let go!
Nov 3, 2008
The newest Deus Ex was sooooo disappointing to me.. I tried so hard to like it thinking "hey maybe next mission it will be better." Nope, it wasn't what I was expecting..

lewwatt

Dec 27, 2011
Amongst the many parts of my brain screaming to me that 'The Last of Us' will be even better than Uncharted 3 there's a small part of me saying what if? What if it's another zombie shooter and the only thing it has going for it is good console graphics and a tried and tested developer?

It happened with FO:NV too. I was so hyped (FO3 is my favourite game) and to my dismay it wasn't what I had expected, I expected bugs to be ironed out, a gripping story, better graphics and a more diverse landscape. Still a good game but a little lackluster in my opinion.

E: I also never preorder anymore, New Vegas was the first and last. I could've gotten it much cheaper had I waited.

Razor Z7

Nov 20, 2011
TES V: Skyrim. I can't do the quests without spiders. I can't get to Winterhold without the quests. So there I was succumbing to my fear of Spiders and Mudcrabs.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
LookingGlass said:
Fappy said:
Fanboys, right?

I actually spent most of Skyrim's hype time thinking this. Morrowind is a top 2 game of all time for me, and I really didn't care for Oblivion at all, in comparison. I was concerned about the direction the series would take. Fortunately there were more good moves than bad.

I almost never pre-order games because I just don't want to get burned like that.
You got it!

They couldn't have ended that movie any other way.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Other than Pokemon Diamond, not really.

<SO EXCITED! New Pokemon region with new Pokemon! I bet it'll be even better than Ruby/Sapphire!

<Cue disappointment at how awful the game was. Geodude and Zubat constantly screaming in the speakers, mostly seem to find old Pokemon for a supposedly new generation, and most of the new ones I was finding were totally stupid. This annoying blonde homosexual hipster kept showing up everywhere to battle me as well. The story of Team Plasma was utterly boring and I just felt like I was derping along without being invested in the game at all. About the fifth gym I was just like, "Let's finish this up and beat Cynthia so I can get this over with."

Never played any of the Sinnoh games again. Sold Diamond a few days after beating it.

Black and White on the other hand are probably the best Pokemon games I've played. That was totally unexpected.

Sirron Kcuch

Jan 3, 2012
Halo 3. Halo Reach. Then I learned. Now I find games more enjoyable if I don't follow their development process.

I mean, I knew every detail about the games before I bought them, which made those uninteresting. But I really liked acknowing the complexity that underlied in their process.

Now I try to have a deep understanding of games without following their development

Daaaaang my English is terrible

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
I didn't follow the development, but it was a niggling doubt behind Gears of War 3. Turned out to be enjoyable when I played it, and that's all I wanted, so I enjoyed it. The ending was pretty disappointing though.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Final fantasy X-2. Assassins creed Revelations. Dragon Age 2.

[HEADING=2]DUKE. NUKEM. FOR-FUCKING-EVER.[/HEADING]

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
The only thing that is gonna suck is that the series will be over. That truly sucks.

I actually have the weirdest feeling that ME3 will be as close to the perfect game that a game could get. The wait however might kill me.

On topic...
FF13
Fable 2
Force Unleashed 2.

FF13 being the most disappointing game ever created.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Smeggs said:
Other than Pokemon Diamond, not really.

<SO EXCITED! New Pokemon region with new Pokemon! I bet it'll be even better than Ruby/Sapphire!

<Cue disappointment at how awful the game was. Geodude and Zubat constantly screaming in the speakers, mostly seem to find old Pokemon for a supposedly new generation, and most of the new ones I was finding were totally stupid. This annoying blonde homosexual hipster kept showing up everywhere to battle me as well. The story of Team Plasma was utterly boring and I just felt like I was derping along without being invested in the game at all. About the fifth gym I was just like, "Let's finish this up and beat Cynthia so I can get this over with."

Never played any of the Sinnoh games again. Sold Diamond a few days after beating it.

Black and White on the other hand are probably the best Pokemon games I've played. That was totally unexpected.
I recommend Heartgold/SoulSilver. Now those are the best pokemon games since Gen 3.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
This has happened to me very, very few times. I'm just too damn easy to please and I've only gotten a handful of games on release day.

Aiedail256

Jan 21, 2011
Fappy said:
Has there ever been a game that you built up to incredible expectations only to have those expectations completely and utterly demolished?
This is a pixel-perfect description of my experience with Metroid: Other M. Its one redeeming quality was that you got to fight that one particular boss in 3D.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Brink.

Had been following the game since the first screenshots were released.

Oh god... the horror... the horror...