"What If It Sucks?"

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly.

If you did not grow up with the original trilogy, it's impossible to fathom the magnitude of the expectations I had. A feeling that could only be surpassed by the surreal amount of disappointment the game brought with it when it finally got released.

Also, Final Fantasy XIII, I suppose... But my hopes were already a bit crushed by FF X-2 and FF XII, so it's not like I didn't know I could very well expect a massive failure.

Though, I suppose, in hindsight, the disappointment was more massive than expected...

Oh!
And Legaia 2.
Waiting so long for a sequel to the original Legend of Legaia and then they deliver something with stale graphics, re-hashed music, a generic story with generic characters and a total lack of Seru. I mean, sure, they continued to expand on the awesome battle system from the first one, but that's it.

Not really anything I have high hopes for in the future... Perhaps GTA V? But we all know how that's going to end: nice graphics, nice soundtrack, tons of detail, big map, same old gameplay.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
If I follow a game's development I don't let myself get hyped up about it. Because no matter what if you are hyping yourself up for a game it will not live up to your expectations. It happened once with Prototype and I will never again let myself be taken away.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
The only game that ever fell short for me, was Dino Crisis 3. Anyone who has played all 3 of the dino crisis games will know what I mean.
Bhaalspawn said:
I don't really get hyped about games, the closest I've ever come to being The Old Republic, which I pre-ordered after playing the beta.

However, I did watch the hype surrounding Skyrim. I saw in the months leading up to it people calling it the game of the year. A few weeks after it came out, I recieved it as a gift from a fan of my show, so decided to try it out.

I knew that it was never going to be as good as people were making it out to be.

Not only was I right, I was Omniscient.

Skyrim now has it's place on my Top Twenty Worst Games of All Time
I don't think Omniscient is the word you were looking for. Also, skyrim has it's place in my heart as one of my top 5 best games of all times. Neither of our opinions means much to anyone else.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Hmm. I would be tempted to say Dead Island, but I didn't buy it, in part because I was fairly certain that no game could possibly live up to "that" trailer. And, gee, I was right.

(No offense to anyone who liked Dead Island; I understand the final, patched, official version is a perfectly decent game. It's just not a game that had a whole lot to do with the trailer.)

I rarely buy games before they're rigorously reviewed any more, so while I'm occasionally disappointed, I'm rarely out-and-out blindsided.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
Fappy said:
Has there ever been a game that you built up to incredible expectations only to have those expectations completely and utterly demolished?
Too Human.

The concept - an RPG about Norse Mythology in a cyberpunk setting employing a deep "devil may cry" like combat system.

The execution - one of the worst games ever made.

HOW DO YOU MESS THAT CONCEPT UP THAT BADLY?!
you too?

That game could have been good but somehow came out terrible.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I'll buy IT dinner! *badum bump, tss*

If I buy a game that sucks, so be it. Some developers do it for love and hope to get some money out of it, some others do it just for the money. In the end they both produce good and bad games. I sometimes go with the hype, sometimes I don't (I have yet to play any of the Batman games), but I always enjoy discovering good morsels of gaming fun, be it dialogue, story, gameplay, challenges, etc

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Fappy said:
As gamers obsessive enough to lurk obscure gaming forums all day it should come as no surprise that many (if not all of us) have at one time religiously followed the development of an upcoming game we were absolutely dying to get our hands on. From sequels of successful franchises to new and original IPs created by renowned developers, developers can pretty much calculate their projected revenue based on pre-sales alone these days.

So your standing in front of Gamestop at midnight (or on the east coast sitting in front of your PC waiting for the clock to strike 3, lol Steam) with fantasies of your future adventures in this new release filling your brain. But how many of you stop and ask the question, "What if it sucks?"

Has there ever been a game that you built up to incredible expectations only to have those expectations completely and utterly demolished? Are there any games that you are excited for, but deep-down know that they may possibly suck? Share!

I'll be honest here, I love the ME franchise but I am seriously worried about how their going to wrap up the trilogy.

Also, whoever gets where the thread's title comes from gets +300 cupcakes.
Fanboys, upon attending the Phantom Menace premiere. I imagine it's been answered by now, though.

OT: Yeah, I do get that a little. But it rarely comes to anything. I know what I like! :D

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The closest would have to be Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I watched from the time teasers were being rolled out of a nameless Sith pulling a Star Destroyer from orbit with awe and as time went by I felt more and, more excited about a game that would let me go balls out using only The Force and a Lightsaber. The game itself wasn't a great disappointment but it was a lot easier than I thought it would have been (which is saying something given the subject matter) and pretty short. I also wondered why the nameless woman wouldn't shut up and why Starkiller gave a damn when she got caught by the Empire. Like everyone else I found the Star Destroyer scene to be tedious and lacking the wonder of the original teaser.

Overall I liked The Force Unleashed but that could have been because of some light-side influence. The thing wasn't ruined until the sequel was announced and even then, once it was revealed that FU2 was a straight sequel instead of say, part 2 of a FU anthology, that's when I gave up and felt my soul get crushed somewhat. I still haven't played FU2 other than a short demo and I still refuse to accept it as part of Star Wars canon.

Joccaren said:
Games that sounded good originally, but turned out crap:
DNF
DA2
Skyrim (Not crap, but rather meh)
You know, you reminded me: Dragon Age 2. From day one of planning everyone was expecting another great (if not broadened so as to appease the masses) RPG taking place in the same world as the first 1 and a half. What we got instead (despite all of the footage before release that may have lead us to believe otherwise) was a beat-em-up. A beat-em-up wherein every male NPC EXCEPT Varric wanted to bed my male Hawke!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Spore.

If I could leave my post at that, I would. That's all it deserves, it was that bad.

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
Command & Conquer 3.

Though in fairness:
1. I was an idiot to trust EA even slightly in the first place.
2. My expectations had been gradually eroded over the previous weeks/months.

coolman9899

May 20, 2010
lewwatt said:
Amongst the many parts of my brain screaming to me that 'The Last of Us' will be even better than Uncharted 3 there's a small part of me saying what if? What if it's another zombie shooter and the only thing it has going for it is good console graphics and a tried and tested developer?

It happened with FO:NV too. I was so hyped (FO3 is my favourite game) and to my dismay it wasn't what I had expected, I expected bugs to be ironed out, a gripping story, better graphics and a more diverse landscape. Still a good game but a little lackluster in my opinion.

E: I also never preorder anymore, New Vegas was the first and last. I could've gotten it much cheaper had I waited.
LOL Simon from the yogscast made into a avatar xD

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
Eve Charm said:
Two worlds

It was suppose to be elder scrolls oblivion with co-op online play. Would have been the most awesome thing ever at the time, and I still have the collector's edition box on my shelve with the game played only once ever. I might go set it on fire now.
You too?

I remember my friend bought it and I played it over at his house for a day. The first day was enjoyable and I decided to pick it up for the co-op because Elder Scrolls still hasn't gotten around to it.

The luster wore off after the first day :/

MintberryCrunch

Aug 20, 2011
Fappy said:
From the film Fanboys, right at the end?
I got ninja'd but can I please at least have a few cupcakes anyway?

OT: yeah I have, during the wait for Skyrim I got really worried at one point that it'd just... suck. But it didn't, so I'm happy.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
MintberryCrunch said:
Fappy said:
From the film Fanboys, right at the end?
I got ninja'd but can I please at least have a few cupcakes anyway?

OT: yeah I have, during the wait for Skyrim I got really worried at one point that it'd just... suck. But it didn't, so I'm happy.
You and about five others got ninjed :O

You can have the leftovers.

targren

May 13, 2009
So many... I think I'm getting too old for gaming. I now assume the worst of EVERY game, thanks to being kicked in the goolies too many times in the past, both recent and distant.

Metroid: Other M. The return of Phantoon was a nice semi-easter egg, but otherwise, there was nothing good about it. The characterization was idiotic, the voice acting horrible, and the gameplay was pathetic. Too bad I didn't know ahead of time that the same putz who had directed the development of Metroid Fusion was in charge.

Castlevania LOD. More like "Castlevania GOW," amirite? Honestly, though, that one was my own fault. There has never and probably WILL never be a good 3D Castlevania game.

Final Fantasy X-2. Going back a ways, sure...but killed the series for me.

Zelda: SS. Assumed this one sucked, making it the first non-CDi Zelda game in 25 years that I haven't owned. I don't like motion controls, fuckers.

I am VERY wary of Guild Wars 2 (assuming it ever sees the light of day) and Borderlands 2, but I have an exception in place for Torchlight 2, since it's only 20 bucks. My big worry for that one is "what if they use Steam DRM?" instead

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
targren said:
So many... I think I'm getting too old for gaming. I now assume the worst of EVERY game, thanks to being kicked in the goolies too many times in the past, both recent and distant.

Metroid: Other M. The return of Phantoon was a nice semi-easter egg, but otherwise, there was nothing good about it. The characterization was idiotic, the voice acting horrible, and the gameplay was pathetic. Too bad I didn't know ahead of time that the same putz who had directed the development of Metroid Fusion was in charge.

Castlevania LOD. More like "Castlevania GOW," amirite? Honestly, though, that one was my own fault. There has never and probably WILL never be a good 3D Castlevania game.

Final Fantasy X-2. Going back a ways, sure...but killed the series for me.

Zelda: SS. Assumed this one sucked, making it the first non-CDi Zelda game in 25 years that I haven't owned. I don't like motion controls, fuckers.

I am VERY wary of Guild Wars 2 (assuming it ever sees the light of day) and Borderlands 2, but I have an exception in place for Torchlight 2, since it's only 20 bucks. My big worry for that one is "what if they use Steam DRM?" instead
Steam DRM isn't too bad assuming you don't switch computers often that don't have internet access for a quick profile checkup. Torchlight 2 will support offline LAN. That's all I care about.

targren

May 13, 2009
Fappy said:
Steam DRM isn't too bad assuming you don't switch computers often that don't have internet access for a quick profile checkup. Torchlight 2 will support offline LAN. That's all I care about.
I switch computers quite often (Desktop, Laptop, Work) and I don't trust Valve to control my access to my own games. I made an exception for my HIB4 games, since I have them downloaded at will and the steam DL was a bonus (they can't take my access away), but if Runic go that route, I probably won't buy it despite how long I've been waiting for it.

Evill_Bob

Nov 18, 2009
1.) Duke Nukem Forever: you'd think with 12 years to work on it that it would be better. Loved Duke 3D and while DNF have proper levels of boobs the gameplay and levels were crap. I was prepared for launch too, I was ready to spend all night and a good section of the next day playing it from start to end. Alas it was not to be after a few hours I quit and went to bed feeling that part of my childhood had died (yes I was raised on Duke Nukem, Doom, Wolfenstein until my parents got me a Nintendo 64).

2.) Metroid: Other M: after the Metroid Prime trilogy I thought Nintendo had evolved the epic side-scrolling shooter/platformer that revolved around exploration with an ever increasing array of weapons and gadgets into a first person shooter/platformer that revolved around exploration with an ever increasing array of weapons and gadgets. I thought Nintendo was gonna gear up for what ever Metroid came next. But they changed their minds about Samus being a badass inspired by Ripley from Alien and the gameplay evolution from side-scrolling shoot to first person shooter. Instead we were subjected to game that featured a monotone bimbo and gameplay seemed to be the bastard child of a Legos game and a Ninja Gaiden. This was a backslide, and I know a lot of people will whine that Metroid was never intended to be a FPS but in reality that was the logical evolution. Remember, just because it's a FPS doesn't mean it has to be Halo or Call of Duty.

3.) Killzone 3: Say hello to the final nail in the coffin that was me as a console gamer. Though I had been drifting away from consoles since Mechwarrior 3 (the reason why I foam when people call Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 as MW3). I loved the gameplay of Killzone 2, just didn't like the morons that composed my squad. So I picked up Killzone 3 expecting an evolved version of the previous game. I, however, got crap. They had the same formula but drilled into my head the importance of enviroment in a game. And the plot and characters were somehow more painful to endure than in the previous game.

4.) Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine: The singleplayer was up to par (except the final boss battle, QUICK TIME EVENT IS NOT GAMEPLAY) but the multiplayer fell flat. I was expecting the standard deathmatch and whatnot but I was expecting something like Last Stand from W40k: Dawn of War 2 or Space Hulk. Alas, niether. Grind for XP and try to unlock upgrades for your weapons through engaging in spacific amounts of kills with certain weapons in a certain amount of time. Lets not forget local servers hosted by a randomly selected player instead of a dedicated server.

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
Bhaalspawn said:
I don't really get hyped about games, the closest I've ever come to being The Old Republic, which I pre-ordered after playing the beta.

However, I did watch the hype surrounding Skyrim. I saw in the months leading up to it people calling it the game of the year. A few weeks after it came out, I recieved it as a gift from a fan of my show, so decided to try it out.

I knew that it was never going to be as good as people were making it out to be.

Not only was I right, I was Omniscient.

Skyrim now has it's place on my Top Twenty Worst Games of All Time
]

Realy what makes it so bad?
BTW what show do you do?

OT I am alive, I have waited so long for that game but deep down I know it wont live up to my expectations, still it's an arcade game so I will have to adjust expectations to meet price