What instrument do you play?

Grog289

Sep 1, 2011
Hello Escapists,
my parents have convinced me to take up an instrument so tomorrow I'm gonna go pick up a banjo. A lot of people see it as a hick/country instrument but I've heard some pretty badass banjo music from the likes of Mumford and Sons and Flogging Molly. So what instrument(s) do you play? any advice for someone learning an instrument for the first time?

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
I play electric guitar and bass. Although it isn't what I learned first, I much prefer bass. Not because it has two less strings, mind you, but I love the sound and versatility of it. And my girlfriend loves it, that helps, too.

As for learning a new instrument, DO NOT do what I did with guitar. I learned pretty much everything on my own from tablature, without bothering to learn chords, theory, scales, and hell, I didn't even know the notes on a guitar fretboard until I took lessons a year or so into my playing. I beg of you, please don't try to get out of learning the basics just so you can play the specific things you want to play, like I did.

Apr 24, 2008
I play the guitar, just like everybody else does.

Thankfully, nobody ever told me I was special, so I'm not disappointed with how things are turning out.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I'm a classical pianist, and growing up I also played the violin in school and learned the pipe organ. And some of that mallet percussion crap. I still play the piano, but haven't played the other ones in about ten years. :C

Don't really have much specific advice, but if you make it a point to really study and understand music theory, it will help your ability greatly.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
I own a bass guitar and i do play it occationally but i wouldnt say im a bassist

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Guitar, keyboard, trumpet, and metal screaming.

The key is absolutely practice. And disregard anyone who tells you that you don't need to learn music theory. Learn what the modes are, and remember the patterns for all the widely used scales. You can then choose to break these rules, but learning them first will make your music sound much better.

Charles McGuffin

Aug 4, 2011
Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Electric Bassguitar, Piano, Violin.

Nothing very well, because I taught everything myself.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
The euphonium, which as far as I can tell, doesn't exist in the US - it's kind of a halfway stage between a tuba and a trumpet.

Razzigyrl

Mar 22, 2011
I say banjo is nifty. I have access to a 6-string banjo tuned like a guitar, and I also play piano and my acoustic guitar. My advice is that practice is desperately important, and it would serve you well to find someone who can coach you. Yes, being good and being self-taught are entirely possible, and yes, formal lessons can cost money, but it's extraordinarily helpful to have someone who knows what they're talking about give you pointers when you get stuck. Learning to read music is a good idea, allows you freedom from being limited to tablature. Also, don't be afraid to listen to old music, slow music, country, gospel, classical, rock, ethnic music of any sort you can find. Take in all the music you can, and listen before you decide you hate it or like it, because every genre shows you something different you might someday try. Don't be afraid of plateaus and getting stuck, just keep practicing.

And have fun, of course, but that should go without saying.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
onewheeled999 said:
I learned pretty much everything on my own from tablature, without bothering to learn chords, theory, scales, and hell, I didn't even know the notes on a guitar fretboard until I took lessons a year or so into my playing. I beg of you, please don't try to get out of learning the basics just so you can play the specific things you want to play, like I did.
Any reason why?

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
I play bass, I've been playing now for over 4 years, I wouldn't call myself good...but I can defent myself with it.

The key to every insturment is practice and patience. If at first you don't succeed, try again until you do. Also, take classes from someone who knows, so that you can get the basics right. By basics I mean theory, how to, and basically getting to know your instrument.

Also, there's a group which is neither folk-rock or country/Hick with a badass banjo called "Bella Fleck and the Flecktones" (not sure if spelled correctly). I'd encourage you to check them out. They're kind of a mix between bluegrass and jazz.

Best of luck with your banjo!! =)

rdwp

Jan 2, 2012
Yeah, I learned to play banjo too for my friend's bluegrass group (not my favorite type of music, but it's fun to jam on).

I also play guitar, bass, ukulele, piano, mandolin, and theremin, and I taught myself all of them. Really, it all comes down to practice. Teach yourself the basic major chords, learn where all the notes are on the neck, and it wouldn't hurt to learn some basic music theory. Be patient with it. You're not gonna be able to play, like, Pony Express the first time you pick up the instrument.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I've been playing Piano since 2002, I would love to learn drums and just thrash out on them and actually make my thrashing sound listen-able.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'm not really proficient with any instrument, but I do enjoy singing. It's not like I'm an expert or even have great vocals, I just know songs and sing them as proficiently as I can.

Essentially, I enjoy being the guy on the Mic when playing Guitar Hero or Rock Band, because I know the songs, I always get to play, and my proficiency lies with how well I know the lyrics and the song in general.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I own two guitars and a bass guitar. I also sing quite a bit.
Recorded lots of songs for fun, but I never practise on the instruments, so in spite of playing for over six years I'm still not that much better than beginners. I'd say I'm a pretty good singer, though I don't have much confidence in my clear song. Tend to do harsh vocals instead.

Hard to give tips since I'm pretty fail myself. Patience isn't my best virtue.
When I begun with the guitar I checked up easy tabs and tried to play them. Should be some banjo dedicated tab sites out there.

Just for you, OP;