What instrument do you play?

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
AnarchistFish said:
onewheeled999 said:
I learned pretty much everything on my own from tablature, without bothering to learn chords, theory, scales, and hell, I didn't even know the notes on a guitar fretboard until I took lessons a year or so into my playing. I beg of you, please don't try to get out of learning the basics just so you can play the specific things you want to play, like I did.
Any reason why?
The best way I can describe it is that if you only learn what you want to learn, then you will be extremely limited in your abilities. If you learn and expand on the basics over time, then you'll be much more versatile in what you're able to do with that instrument.

You know?

weker

May 27, 2009
I can play a mean nose trumpet... I jest, I have always tried to play an instrument, but much like drawing my fingers fail to find notes or cords with ease.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
I play Alto Saxophone and Bari Saxophone. I only had to learn Alto since both are in the same key. Other than that, I hope to get a melodica one of these days.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
The Alto Sax.

I never practice, I can't play 16th notes, and I don't play scales.
I'm the slackest alto player I know.

It's probably because the music we play is boring, above my level, etc.

I want to play the bagpipes. Thats what all bands need.
And less douchey people who think the guitar is the best instrament evars.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I played alto saxophone for around three years, switched to tuba for almost a year now. Never going to back to alto.

J03bot said:
The euphonium, which as far as I can tell, doesn't exist in the US - it's kind of a halfway stage between a tuba and a trumpet.
It exists, it just goes under another name, I usually hear it called a baritone. My sister plays one.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
i played trumpet, baritone, and euphonium (depending on what we needed for a piece) all four years in high school, but i quit since i started college to make time for studying.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
I played alto saxophone for around three years, switched to tuba for almost a year now. Never going to back to alto.

J03bot said:
The euphonium, which as far as I can tell, doesn't exist in the US - it's kind of a halfway stage between a tuba and a trumpet.
It exists, it just goes under another name, I usually hear it called a baritone. My sister plays one.
they are similar, but slightly different. i played euphonium in concert band, but used a marching baritone in marching band.

he's right; the euphonium isn't played very much in american pieces, but european (especially british) arrangements always come with a euphonium part. however, in the US they are (wrongly) considered interchangeable.

OrenjiJusu

Mar 24, 2009
I play the air guitar. And the air violin. And the air drums. And the air saxophone. And the air piano. But i don't play the air triangle.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
I played trombone for about half a year for school but I got too bored with it and quit. I am much more of a singer and have been told I have an amazing voice, and I would love to learn guitar or piano, but don't really have the money to spend on either instrument or lessons for them.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Guitar (and by extention of that bass) and piano mostly. Though I know a few basic drum basics.

skizoman333

Jan 14, 2011
I play guitar, violin and violin

I started guitar ages ago, but after i dropped ou of uni, moved to a new city and started working at a restaurant I tuned the old piano that had been in my house id rented, bought a violin and started learning to stop me self going insane 2 yrs ago. Im not very gd, but hell, it keeps me going.

Do not underestimate the power of teachers, the progress you make with knowledable help is 10x that which you get from teaching urself.

and to RAKtheUndead, maybe you should try learning to play music, the enjoyment from being able to finally play a song you love is unbelievable and well worth the effort. Your only as gd as the time you put in

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I've played cello for about eight years, and I would say that I am pretty good at it.

The biggest piece of advice I could give for any instrument would be to get lessons. Then you will be able to learn proper technique, be exposed to more music than you otherwise would find, and, perhaps most importantly, have motivation to keep playing, practicing, and improving.

Images

Apr 8, 2010
What do I play?

My dingaling.

My dingaling!

I want YOU to play with my dingaling!

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I pull the heart strings of beautiful women all across the world~!

Loooooove is my instrument, and i know how to tune my tone to fit any occasion~ My notes ring clear on women of all ages~ None are safe of the soothing melody that flows forth from the lute that is my speech! And as such, im a true artisan of the instrument called "Conversation"~

Ok, i dont play any instruments, nor can i sing ((though the 100%s i get on Rockband 2 say differently)), but i can be quite the charmer. Ive swooned many of the fine ladies in my younger years and i think i still have the talent for it.

So, while i many not have a "traditional" instrument, i use my words as one. :D That counts right?