What is a Chav?

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
You know it's really racist to use terms like "pikey" and "gyppo", right?

If you mean Irish travellers or Roma, say so.
Unfortuntley i don't, as we don't have any troubles from the travellers or realy roma, they are different from pikeys and gypos, they don't cause trouble really. I can appreciate the term being racist but unfortuntley its the way it is around here :(

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
They wear tracksuits, listen to loud, bad music they call 'tuneage', Go round randomly attacking people. They can't say a sentence without saying fuck at least 5 times, their main phrases are "y' what mate?" and "I'l bang you out mate". Most of them are benefit scroungers. They like to mod their cars with massive speakers and sometimes spoilers and bad paint jobs.

They are a subculture for now but a very big one and every year the % of young people who are Chavs gets higher.

The other thing is that none of them know that they are a Chav, they call other people Chavs and won't admit that they are one.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
That's actually a common misconception, the origin of the word was, (if I remember my A-level English correctly) a gypsy slang term that came into common use. The acronym thing isnt true, people have just made that up later on.
Very true! :) although it has commonly been accepted to stand for that in somerset although to be honest we have more trouble with pikeys and gypos stealing anything that isn't nailed down lol

how can it be racist if they aren't a race? Last I checked, their White, right?

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
That's actually a common misconception, the origin of the word was, (if I remember my A-level English correctly) a gypsy slang term that came into common use. The acronym thing isnt true, people have just made that up later on.
Very true! :) although it has commonly been accepted to stand for that in somerset although to be honest we have more trouble with pikeys and gypos stealing anything that isn't nailed down lol

Well this is the thing alot of these guys and girls are often british and just like the lifestyle, it's abit of a politically correct minefield

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Rastien said:
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:

Well this is the thing alot of these guys and girls are often british and just like the lifestyle, it's abit of a politically correct minefield
By British do you mean English? Because I haven't heard about Chavs being in Scotland. If you do mean English, why do people care if its pc or not? The US doesn't care if people look down or insult rednecks, skin head, wiggers, ect.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Hehe well getting called out on it in a previous post i thought i would try and make that clear :p but yeah you get Chavs in scotland as well as ireland and whales :)

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Volf99 said:
By British do you mean English? Because I haven't heard about Chavs being in Scotland. If you do mean English, why do people care if its pc or not? The US doesn't care if people look down or insult rednecks, skin head, wiggers, ect.
The only reason you've not heard of chavs in Scotland is because they're called Neds up there, as they're called Charvers in other bits of England.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
thylasos said:
Volf99 said:
The only reason you've not heard of chavs in Scotland is because they're called Neds up there, as they're called Charvers in other bits of England.
so are neds the ones that are infamous for giving people a Glasgow smile? Or is that a different group of people?

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
Council
House
And
Violent

To answer your question, chavs generally arent viewed as a sub culture exactly... it's more often used as a blanket term for young people who cause trouble. And from what I've seen, this word is starting to fall out of use a lot more. At least where I live, anyway.
Actually Chav comes from ancient Greek. It was 'Chavvi' which meant disruptive child. I do however agree with your second paragraph :p

Chavs aren't so much a thing in Britain anymore, they seem to have died out at the turn of the decade and have been replaced with another sub-cultured blanket society. It's still 2011, so they haven't got a name or been properly recognized yet. But basically, it's very much considered incredibly hilarious in this country if you are a chav, it's an object for being humiliated. Which is a very, very good thing.

KLJT

Sep 15, 2010
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:

Roma are a Race of people from modern day Iran or Turkey and were treated worse then the Jews during the holocaust, they are still hated all across Europe because of the negative stereotypes that surround them

mayney93

Aug 3, 2009
Rastien said:
Harry Brown is an extreme example of them but thats pretty much it. Chav is also an acronym see below.

Council
House
And
Violent

God knows why its become populour but they are just a nightmare majority of the time. To become a chav you must have complete distate for any form of authority wether it be school, police or your potential employer whilst feeling the world owes you something.

Needless to say the majority seem to have a massive chip on their shoulder for some reason.
this man knows what he's talking about, i can't put it in words better, you know whats worse than a chav? having to live with one, especially when they're a family member, the feeling of disgust that we come from the same gene pool explains america

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
KLJT said:
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:

Roma are a Race of people from modern day Iran or Turkey and were treated worse then the Jews during the holocaust, they are still hated all across Europe because of the negative stereotypes that surround them
I hate to nitpick but I think you mean ethnic group, not race.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I'm gonna point this out, just so people aren't demonising the wrong people.

Chavs and the working class are not the same thing, nor are all chavs from the working class. Sadly a 'documentary' about chavs decided that the word was just a euphemism for the working class and proceeded to attack the upper classes for discrimination.

Chavs can be from any class. They are, for the most part, people who think swearing all the time, drinking crap booze and fighting is great.

In short, they're idiots but not necessarily poor idiots. I've seen chavs who have spent thousands of pounds on souping up cars a la Fast & the Furious, then proceeding to crash said cars in short order.

They like top-shelf magazines and have no real interest in improving themselves or their situation.

I want to repeat, they are not the same as the working class, that's insulting to the working class. People from the working class are, for the most of those I've met, pleasant and good people.

Chavs are not.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
this man knows what he's talking about, i can't put it in words better, you know whats worse than a chav? having to live with one, especially when they're a family member, the feeling of disgust that we come from the same gene pool explains america
/brofist i feel for you man, my youngest sister was abit chavy but she grew out of that phase thank fook lol

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
Chavs are the British underclass. Generally its several generations of the same family who haven't worked and feel no need to work as benefits give them enough to buy cheap cider and ale. If they do any graft its generally the dodgy stuff, cash in hand style of work, not necessarily illegal but the revenue never sees tax for it.

There generally poorly educated because teachers generally give up on them and their parents (themselves first or second generation chavs) never provide the push necessary for them to actually start fulfilling their potential. If they ever land a job it won't last for long as they don't have a work ethic, they think that everything should be done for them and if its not they certainly won't try and do it themselves. They'll generally palm their work off on somebody else or take the easy tasks which they won't do well and will require you to do it again latter.

I do have to say that the system has failed them, the Thatcherite reforms not only broke the back of the unions it also destroyed the workers pride necessary to have a good work ethic amongst the working class. We've now gotten to the stage where the children of those who lost their jobs during the 80's and where unable to get one again, have never worked and they themselves are bringing up children who see there parents and grandparents sitting on there arses watching Jeremy Kyle and decide that there really isant much more to life than drinking, fighting and fucking, there no point to trying to improve yourself and becoming a glamour model or reality TV star is the height of ambition. The country really needs to invest in giving them something to be proud off and something that will give them self worth. Without it where just going to end up giving all our grimey jobs to the Poles and watch as another generation is failed.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
They are a blight upon our society which needs to be purged and I don't get where these other people are coming from claiming their numbers have abated, I'm still seeing plenty of the fuckers infesting the streets.