What is a Chav?

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
ManThatYouFear said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
That's actually a common misconception, the origin of the word was, (if I remember my A-level English correctly) a gypsy slang term that came into common use. The acronym thing isnt true, people have just made that up later on.
Very true! :) although it has commonly been accepted to stand for that in somerset although to be honest we have more trouble with pikeys and gypos stealing anything that isn't nailed down lol
You know it's really racist to use terms like "pikey" and "gyppo", right?

If you mean Irish travellers or Roma, say so.
Are you serious?.. there fucking scum, the original gypos of old no longer exist, there thieving dirty little bastards who should be ques up next to the chavs for the firing line, and for you to say its racist? your either one of them or never dealt with them.. ever.
Correct. There is not a single decent person of Roma descent existing in the world today. I'll quit university and go steal things, since you insist. Likewise, nobody without a fixed residence is fully human.

/sarcasm

And 'never dealt with them'? Who did you deal with. Because unless the Roma became a hive mind while I wasn't looking, you dealt with a group of individual assholes. Meet some pricks. Pricks belong to a group. Entire group consists only of pricks. Where the hell does the logic in that come from?

Honestly, I think a lot of the modern incarnation is tax-dodging, law-avoiding nonsense. But condemning an entire subculture or ethnic group is just ignorant and hateful. Both of which I believe are good attributes for the firing line.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
The origin of the word is disputed. In here in the sleepy county of Gloucestershire we claim Chav derives from the term "Cheltenham average", which was used by kids in the many many private schools in the town to describe the less than pleasant members of the town. This however is probably not true, though I do believe one the earliest mentions of the word is from Cheltenham.

But in general it is a term for the British underclass. I actually have a number of chavs in my family, its safe to say I'm not from the best stock.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
This is the thing dude, alot of the gypos (at least in the southwest) have no drop of romany blood in them...

It's all well and good taking the moral high ground but having grew up on a farm i can assure you having an entire group of these people decend upon your land and trash it is not fun :/.

Unfortuntley the behaviour of them in the south west has really not painted them in a favourable light.

But i'm not here to debate wether im PC or not, really in this case i really don't mind, my past experiences with them hasn't painted them in a un-favourable light :/.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
iFail69 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

They make England more comical, gives the rest of us something to laugh at, constantly.

They hang out on street corners, drinking cheap alcohol, making noise, and generally being an idiotic nuisance.
So they are similar to the wannabe gangsters that hang around North america then :p

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
I agree, most, at least that I've heard of, sound like they need to be locked up and only get away by playing the 'intolerance' card. Claiming a different culture doesn't give any right to be exempt from tax or the same planning laws the rest of us have to follow. As for blood, it's not really that important... just a way of finding which side of the race/culture line someone is on. It just irks me to see a whole group - especially one that you can be born into, whether you like it or not - casually slated for execution just because 'they're scum'.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
this isnt my name said:
Still plenty of the bastrds in south Wales.
Yes there are, the worthless arseholes.

Think of a combination between a frat boy, white trash redneck and wannabe "gangsta", and then take away any legitimate money and physical strength.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
...also, contrary to popular belief, they don't gain superpowers when exposed to freak weather

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Volf99 said:
Rastien said:
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
That's actually a common misconception, the origin of the word was, (if I remember my A-level English correctly) a gypsy slang term that came into common use. The acronym thing isnt true, people have just made that up later on.
Very true! :) although it has commonly been accepted to stand for that in somerset although to be honest we have more trouble with pikeys and gypos stealing anything that isn't nailed down lol
You know it's really racist to use terms like "pikey" and "gyppo", right?

If you mean Irish travellers or Roma, say so.
how can it be racist if they aren't a race? Last I checked, their White, right?
Well this is the thing alot of these guys and girls are often british and just like the lifestyle, it's abit of a politically correct minefield
By British do you mean English? Because I haven't heard about Chavs being in Scotland. If you do mean English, why do people care if its pc or not? The US doesn't care if people look down or insult rednecks, skin head, wiggers, ect.
In Scotland we have neds... (Non-Educated Delinquent), but it's basically the same thing... maybe with slightly less fashion sense.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
LordFisheh said:
I agree, most, at least that I've heard of, sound like they need to be locked up and only get away by playing the 'intolerance' card. Claiming a different culture doesn't give any right to be exempt from tax or the same planning laws the rest of us have to follow. As for blood, it's not really that important... just a way of finding which side of the race/culture line someone is on. It just irks me to see a whole group - especially one that you can be born into, whether you like it or not - casually slated for execution just because 'they're scum'.
Fair shout man. :)just the way it is unfortuntley we fall into being un-pc just by using labels :(

ignore this post, my computer is messed up
Lies you were bigging up the gorillaz avatars /brofist ;D

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Rastien said:
LordFisheh said:
Fair shout man. :)just the way it is unfortuntley we fall into being un-pc just by using labels :(

ignore this post, my computer is messed up
Lies you were bigging up the gorillaz avatars /brofist ;D
lol, yeah I don't know how to quote two people at once though. Btw 2D is my favorite, especially after see the short cartoon cuts with him and Russel.

StANDY1338

Sep 25, 2006
surg3n said:
In Scotland we have neds... (Non-Educated Delinquent), but it's basically the same thing... maybe with slightly less fashion sense.
berghaus is clearly in this season and burbery is out.

addidas trackies are the new black though don't you know.

Shinclone

Nov 20, 2011
I've always described them as the biggest wiggers you can imagine, mixed with the dumbest, inbred hillbillies. They are oxygen thieves the lot of them.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
this isnt my name said:
Robert Ewing said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
Council
House
And
Violent

To answer your question, chavs generally arent viewed as a sub culture exactly... it's more often used as a blanket term for young people who cause trouble. And from what I've seen, this word is starting to fall out of use a lot more. At least where I live, anyway.
Actually Chav comes from ancient Greek. It was 'Chavvi' which meant disruptive child. I do however agree with your second paragraph :p

Chavs aren't so much a thing in Britain anymore, they seem to have died out at the turn of the decade and have been replaced with another sub-cultured blanket society. It's still 2011, so they haven't got a name or been properly recognized yet. But basically, it's very much considered incredibly hilarious in this country if you are a chav, it's an object for being humiliated. Which is a very, very good thing.
I fucking wish. Still plenty of the bastrds in south Wales.
speaking from the south-west, yeahh they aren't gone. they are still very much there, and still pissing me off by breathing oxygen which could be used by people who deserve to live...

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Watch the Jeremy Kyle show, then you will know what kind of people can be labelled as chavs. :)

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
lRookiel said:
Watch the Jeremy Kyle show, then you will know what kind of people can be labelled as chavs. :)
Also if your suffering from depression this show will make you feel better about yourself as terrible as this sounds lol.

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
wears slacks +cheap nikes+ugly caps (sometimes also nike brand)
Talks some weird inexplicable fake gangsta-english lingo
Looks very offended with everything
Is a right mug
cannot add 1+1

That's my standard definition of a chav

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Kind of a mix between a Steek and a Spide.
The type of people that would turn up on Jeremy Kyle

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Rastien said:
lRookiel said:
Also if your suffering from depression this show will make you feel better about yourself as terrible as this sounds lol.
hehee so true, however when I watch these people come on the show im just like "Where does he get these people from?!"