What is a "try hard"?

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
It's a game term that used to be a fighting game thing. Y'know, marvel vs capcom, soul caliber, those types, it specifically refers to types of characters whose build is inherently stronger at the outset than another. Not to say the characters are themselves better, just that it takes a great deal less skill to open them up.

As an example: Marvel vs. Capcom 3, not a terribly good game but a good example.

Dante: notorious tryhard, this character requires very little skill to unleash his damage potential.

Phoenix: Opposite of tryhard, she is a major glass cannon, however intelligent players can turn her into the most horrifyingly devastating character in the game by triggering her special Dark Phoenix form which only happens if she dies with a certain ability active.

As to the shooting game thing... Nope, I have no idea how it would apply since there are no 'characters'. Unless you count the specific guns?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, what everyone is basically saying is, of course, that they are idiots.

There is no deeper answer.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Midnight Crossroads said:
When you play Marvel vs Capcom, they pick Sentinel, Dante, and Whesker. They only get fun out of winning instead of actually enjoying the game.
right here, this is a good example.

Although in Wesker's defense, he's just a noob killer. If you know how to fight him he's easy meat unless the player has actual skill with him.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
lordmardok said:
It's a game term that used to be a fighting game thing. Y'know, marvel vs capcom, soul caliber, those types, it specifically refers to types of characters whose build is inherently stronger at the outset than another. Not to say the characters are themselves better, just that it takes a great deal less skill to open them up.

As an example: Marvel vs. Capcom 3, not a terribly good game but a good example.

Dante: notorious tryhard, this character requires very little skill to unleash his damage potential.

Phoenix: Opposite of tryhard, she is a major glass cannon, however intelligent players can turn her into the most horrifyingly devastating character in the game by triggering her special Dark Phoenix form which only happens if she dies with a certain ability active.

As to the shooting game thing... Nope, I have no idea how it would apply since there are no 'characters'. Unless you count the specific guns?
Pretty much.

Winning a game of Black Ops with an AK47u isn't impressive or memorable. Winning with a revolver or a knife is far more satisfying because it displays an ability to overcome objectively better weapons.

Also, it's stupid fun to run around knifing people in a wager match. You can't win by knifing, but it sets other players back from winning. It's pretty much the only thing I enjoy playing Black Ops online.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
TheECP said:
I absolutely HATE it when people get mad at you for trying to win at a game. Playing games is fun. Winning games is the goal when you're playing games. Why would I purposefully hinder myself just because you're too much of a sore sport to accept that the other team played better than you? I don't get mad when the other team beat me using "cheap" tactics. That means they played better.
Don't get me wrong, I have pretty much the same point of view. I play to win, but more importantly, I don't let that get in the way of having fun with the game. But when a player gets so competitive that they lose sight of what makes the game a game, and are pretty much total dicks about it, it stops being fun for everybody.

azzair

Nov 13, 2009
They're bad and they should feel bad.

Just ignore them, its how they get revenge, if you can call it that, after you made their anus 3 sizes bigger.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
A "try-hard" is someone who will do anything to win at the game, regardless of how unsportsman-like it may be. Tryhards are the people who start camping together in one building, and put up 5 claymores at every entrance when they begin to lose so that they can't die, or who go one-man army n00btube and spawn camps, or someone who only uses the most overpowered weapons in the game because they HAVE TO have the advantage over everyone. They don't care how they win so long as they win, as opposed to someone to plays the game for fun (at least this is how I understand it). It's basically a way of saying that the other team played like cheap bastards.
Sooo... basically what this guy said?

OverweightWhale said:
It's meant to be an insult from someone who's being a poor sport. Which online seems to be all the time.
Calling certain tactics "cheap" is a sure sign that you are a sore loser. If you don't like the fact that a game allows for certain methods of play, then don't play it.

Edit: That wasn't intended as a jab at you, by the way. Just a blanket statement against whiny people.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Many people have already stated what tryhard means, but I'd like to mention that it's starting to more and more come to mean anyone who puts forth any effort whatsoever, rather than just someone who puts winning above all else, as somewhat stated by Gladiateher.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Just ignore them. I sometimes have a person on my team, who when losing, will get angry and call the other team "try hards", whilst failing to see the irony in it all.

Basically someone who tries hard, to put it simply. Most likely using Turtle Beaches or similar headphones to soundwhore the opposite team to get a lot of extra kills. It's not really worth complaining about. Hell, I have turtle beach, and I know when I am the last person on SnD I will turn the volume up a bit more to hear the oppositions footsteps. I can't tell you how many times it has stopped me from dying.

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
Necromancer Jim said:
You willingly enter the realm of online gaming, you leave logic and reason far, far behind.
I've heard it way more irl than online. Logic and reason are out the window in this area, apparently.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Its basically whens omeone takes the fun out of playing and starts being a dick to win.

I get accused of try harding a lot, so do my friends, but we go in a game with strategy, especially on teams. but then we're not above just running and gunning.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
A try hard is someone who has their priorities backwards, and therefore will go to any measure to achieve at something that ultimately isn't as important as they make it out to be. I have only ever heard this insult in relation to school, referring to the people who work on assignments for days, hand them in early to get reviewed beforehand by teachers, and pester/ suck up to teachers in order to see how much information they can weedle out of them about tests. I suppose that you could apply it to games as well, referring to people who will go to any length to give themselves the advantage.

I don't use it though. Frankly, if you really care about something that much, more power to you.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
To me tryhard is not someone who wants to win, tryhards are people that ruin other people's experience to win by taking advantage of glitches or OP things, that and those 10 year olds that have MLG, a million Z's or X's or "NoScopes" "TruESkilzz" in the name etc

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
For the game you are playing (Black Ops), a tryhard is
AUG Red Dot
CZ75 Dual Wield
Motion Censor
Concussion Grenades
Flak Jacket Pro
Sleight of Hand Pro
Hacker Pro

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
TheTim said:
The term tryhard is just an excuse for getting owned in a game, like saying you have no life.
pretty much that. nothing really else to ad

ninetails593

Nov 18, 2009
Tryhards are people who are way too serious about their game, they could be trash talking the other team, using unorthodox methods to win, getting too immersed in their game, or overall being an asshole.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
When I win, I am the Lord of Video Games and you are a noob, a scrub piece-of-trash. When you win, you are a pathetic basement dweller who plays video games all day and never gets laid. Calling you a try hard is just a variation of the latter. It's just a way to minimize your victory and my loss.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
A 'try-hard' is a person who tries too hard, ie, punches above his weight, overdoes things, tries to be somebody he or she is not. The OP's example is using it the wrong way.