What is being homophobic?

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Katatori-kun said:
But in any case, that's well past three strikes. You've misrepresented my position far too many times, and now in this post you're blatantly wasting my time with red herrings. We're done. Have a nice weekend.
I have no interest in arguing with someone who keeps insisting of being given evidence, dismisses it when I do, and whose main go-to tactic for truths he doesn't like to hear are "you're wrong" and "that's incorrect." Accusing me of misrepresenting his opinion when he does exactly that is just icing on the cake. Have fun covering your ears and singing "lalalala you're wrong!" whenever someone says something you don't like to hear.

xShredd

Jan 24, 2013
It is natural that your brain has a dilemma when you are against such a situation as you described. It's not something biological, but something that was fed into your brain and thoughts throughout your life by the society itself. People are fed opinions such as 'gay people are evil' or even 'gay people are abominations and are condemned to hell' by religious nuts.

I know that you may have not been under such hardcore pressure of this subject as I described above, but there is still a part of what you have learned through society. Which will stay with you for a long time, and it does not matter how open minded you are. Understand that there is a reason why the majority of gay people who are still in the closet, because they are very afraid of what awaits them if they walk freely about their opinion. There are tons of news showing married men breaking up with their old time wives to be with other men.

That is the pressure I am talking about, the pressure that would cause someone to prefer to live their who lives as a lie, then to be open about their very own opininions. And don't forget that this is also the same pressure that we live under in our everyday lives, which is the reason of your contradiction between your open mind and teachings on this matter.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
101flyboy said:
deadpoolhulk said:
okay, my personal opinion here. if you do automatically think "eww i don't want to see that" when seeing A guy kiss another guy? then so what? where is the issue? i may sound like a jerk for this, but i really don't like the way society today demands that you have to be 100% politically correct even in your thoughts.
Okay, my personal opinion here. If you do automatically think "eww i don't want to see that" when seeing a Jew kiss another Jew? Then so what? Where is the issue? I may sound like a jerk for this, but I really don't like the way society today demands that you have to be 100% accepting of all groups. Some groups are disgusting and I'm entitled to feel that way!
Feel free to be disgusted by me kissing a fellow Jew, I won't throw a tantrum if it turns you off.

101flyboy said:
but if you truly, in your heart, feel something negative towards a certain group, but then never in your life do anything to treat people of that group as different? then i really do see that as acceptable
Problem #1. It actually is *not* acceptable to hold a negative bias towards an entire group of people for no legitimate reason, and essentially solely for who they are. That is *not* OK. And it is *not* PC to expect people to NOT defend holding negative biases. Silent condemnation isn't something to be proud of. At all. You don't get a pat on the back for it. You still hold the negative attitudes. It's those negative individual attitudes that contribute to negative societal attitudes, which leads to negative societal actions.
That is your opinion, not fact.

101flyboy said:
You can NOT say ?I treat everyone equally? if you tell someone who has done NOTHING wrong, but holds a different opinion to you, that they have no right to their opinion and immediately have to step in line and think the way you do.
Somebody told you wrong if you think all view points are equally valid.
True, one such example is that we all must conform and have only approved opinions.

101flyboy said:
No I am not saying free speech means I can tell all the most racist jokes I want. Hell I don?t think telling jokes that offend people is in any way intelligent or okay. But to tell a man what he can and cannot think? Something has gone wrong somewhere.
Problem #2. No-one is telling you what you HAVE to think. What is being said, however, is that, at the end of the day, not all ways of thinking are acceptable ways of thinking. Expressing them publicly or not doesn't mean that viewpoint suddenly becomes acceptable. It's not acceptable. It's wrong. You're entitled to your opinions, and others are entitled to call you out for them. And if those opinions are clearly biased or wrong, that's what they will be labeled.
When its about objective subjects? Sure, but when its about stuff like I hate group x for reason y, that is completely subjective.

101flyboy said:
Obviously, in our society, homophobia is increasingly being seen as wrong, and that's what it is. So if you choose negative views against gay people, you're in the wrong, and you're going to be called wrong. No different than holding negative views towards people because of their race, religion or gender.
People who's religion tells them that homosexuality is a sin are not wrong, unless you have some way of proving to me what is and is not a sin.

funkyjiveturkey

Jan 18, 2013
frankly i feel the same about gay men as i do gay women. although yes being heterosexual male, seeing two homosexual women is always an experience full of, as the kids say, epic win. but i've always advocvated equal rights and was raised to except everyone of sexual orientation.

WHAT BOTHERS ME ABOUT HOMOPHOBIA: is people who call me a homophobe or racist for laughing at an overly-flamboyant gay man. again, i have no prejudiced, i have gay acquantances and friends, but i get bothered when people call me a "homophobe" for laughing at something a guy with a lisp said. when i laugh at the guy down on the corner in short shorts and roller-skates with his mustache, rainbow shirt, and funny lisp (yes i've known quite a few gays who've actually talked like that) i'm not laughing at him cuz i have anything against him. i'm laughing at him because he's silly, it's comical. if it were a straight man i might even laugh harder. it's such a weird standard

Gennaroc

Jul 30, 2011
Darken12 said:
Katatori-kun said:
But in any case, that's well past three strikes. You've misrepresented my position far too many times, and now in this post you're blatantly wasting my time with red herrings. We're done. Have a nice weekend.
I have no interest in arguing with someone who keeps insisting of being given evidence, dismisses it when I do, and whose main go-to tactic for truths he doesn't like to hear are "you're wrong" and "that's incorrect." Accusing me of misrepresenting his opinion when he does exactly that is just icing on the cake. Have fun covering your ears and singing "lalalala you're wrong!" whenever someone says something you don't like to hear.
You didn't seem to get a huge amount of backup, but just wanted to say good work; read through the debate and I honestly think the most laughable thing has been Katatori's constant 'citation needed' followed by the lone statement of 'you're incorrect'. I mean who does that without realising how much it irrevocably undermines their position?

I was tempted to say to keep this kind of thing confined to tumblr, people here seem to be positioned more to the 'impossible to meet halfway' end of the spectrum, but maybe you're the kind of person these boards need. Thanks for the read.

ending my kind of overly dramatic but honest endorsement now:p