What is frowned upon in the Escapist Forums?

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
I'm still a relatively new user here, and I just wanted to know if there's anything I should know not to do if I want to stay here. I know versus threads and one word posts are frowned upon, but what are some other ones.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Threads which seem to be disliked... well, there's a lot really. One that recently managed to irk almost the entire community was the rash of "am I the only one who ___" threads. Also, although one still sees plenty of them, relationship advice threads tend to take some heat.

Fusoiya

Mar 6, 2010
Don't enter the basement, people die in there.

Also, don't mention the basement or else you'll get kidna

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Vs Threads

Bad grammar and spelling

And Low content posts in my eyes at least.

Oh and hate posts and threads are also not very well taken here.

Edit: I don't know about the rest of the forums, but I'm also not one for contest threads from the community. For example, a couple of years ago we had a Presidential Election in the forum games board. That ended in flames....a couple months ago...the same thing. In sort, don't do that or anything similar, no matter how good of an idea at the time, it won't end well.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
There is actually a posting of proper forum etiquette, that nobody really cares to read.

On topic: Me.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
You. Also trolling and "posting anything that doesn't add to a thread," whatever the hell that means.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Zombie threads went through a wave of popularity and caused a lot of heads to roll. Don't know if that's died down yet though. No pun intended. Cough.

Don't ever try to flame or troll moderators or staff openly (i've seen people get suspended over making threads about how the mods are supposedly unfair and such)

Bad spelling and grammar seems to be universally frowned upon, but exceptions can be made here and there.

Derailing the thread to troll other users by constantly quoting them isn't something you should make a habit, yet can quite easily happen if you're not careful, so watch out.

Making intentionally pointless threads is a quick way to annoy the community (unless for satirical purposes i presume)

People don't like elitism, nor do they like brown-nosing 'famous' escapists.

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
"Attacking" other users, repeat threads, threads that don't have discussion, misleading thread titles and its important to be respectful to people, you may not agree with them but you should respect their opinions.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The following threads:

"Am I the only one..."
Relationship problems
Repeat threads
Celebrating x amount of posts
Rants
Versus

Others include:

Bad English (spelling, capitalization, punctuation, grammar)
Low content posts
Not putting images or videos in spoilers
Saying your name in different colors
Having a signature (especially if it's your name)
Trolling

That's all I can think of now

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Harkonnen64 said:
You. Also trolling and "posting anything that doesn't add to a thread," whatever the hell that means.
If I were to quote you and say "This", I wouldn't be adding anything. Its meant to mean low-content posts and things of similar nature like just posting LOL.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
The official thread of what is off limits is here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.116827-These-forums-and-you-Forum-Posting-Guidelines

Otherwise, as was said above, try and use good grammar/spelling, make well thought out posts, and try to avoid anything that could possibly devolve into a flame-war. Politeness is always a good idea as well.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Fanboys, racism and a poor grasp of spelling and grammar. I made the last one up but please, for the love of God, keep your posts tidy.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Harkonnen64 said:
Posting anything that doesn't add to a thread would go like this:

Topic: "What do you guys think of the Kinect?"

Response: Muffins are awesome.

Because the topic was not about muffins, you have added nothign to the thread, instead making an inane comment for the sake of it.

Anonymous Overlord

Sep 21, 2009
Creating a thread about anything popular. Odds are 15 hundred people already did. theres a search feature on the forums, if you want to talk about something use it first.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
What, no one mentioned "use the search button before starting a new thread"? Everything else was mentioned, me thinks.

Edit: Ninja'd. Not that I didn't see it coming...

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
Gralian said:
Harkonnen64 said:
Posting anything that doesn't add to a thread would go like this:

Topic: "What do you guys think of the Kinect?"

Response: Muffins are awesome.

Because the topic was not about muffins, you have added nothign to the thread, instead making an inane comment for the sake of it.
But I like muffins, why can't we have a thread about muffins?

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
lee1287 said:
Religion. I think.
Why would religion not be encouraged? There's a whole topic called "Religion and Politics". As long as you put religion posts in there, you should be fine.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
gamerguy473 said:
lee1287 said:
Religion. I think.
Why would religion not be encouraged? There's a whole topic called "Religion and Politics". As long as you put religion posts in there, you should be fine.
Okay. Extreme religious views.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
lee1287 said:
gamerguy473 said:
lee1287 said:
Religion. I think.
Okay. Extreme religious views.
Ok, I'll agree with that. I'm not sure that there are many religious extremists on The Escapist. Anyone with "extreme views" is probably a troll anyways.