What is, in your opinion, the best movie of the last 3 years? (Spoilers)

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
I'm going to go with Inception. Great story, neat idea, great acting, awesome actions, great camera work, sound was amazing. Memorable scenes (the market stand blowing up?, the zero gravity(ish) hallway fight scene). Just a really great movie you could watch over and over and it wont feel repetitive.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I feel so lame I don't watch many movies and the ones I have watched were alright, nothing great. Guess i'll throw Drive in along with the others above me. Probably the best film I've seen in the past year or so.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus.
I'm a big fan of Terry Gilliam films (they're also good for making you think after you're done watching) and that movie is probably the most TerryGilliamish of all. Also, Tom Waits is the best on screen Devil of all time.
Ever seen The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen? Gilliam essentially tortured a 9 year old girl to make one of the weirdest films I have ever seen.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
As a die-hard Nicolas Winding Refn fan, then I have to say Drive. His often surreal and strange takes on organised crime with an occasional social-realist edge is one of the most refreshing trademarks of a director I've seen in my entire life. My only regret is that I can't nominate his Pusher, as it's my own favourite film of all time. Or Bronson, that film was twisted.

If we're going non-Refn, I'd have to say The Cabin in the Woods by Drew Goddard & Josh Whedon, just for the sheer amount of laughs I got out of it, as a dedicated horror fan I really appreciated it.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Just checked my RottenTomatoes account and I have 5 films since 2008 at 4 1/2 stars, although 3 of those are in 2008 itself. Is that too long ago? Those 3 are Slumdog Millionaire, Gran Torino and In The Loop. Otherwise it's The Hangover and Get Him To The Greek, which are just two of the funniest films I've ever watched. Of those 5 my favourite is either Slumdog Millionaire or Gran Torino though.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I'd initially go with one of several of the answers already given, but just to be a little different, I'm going to say The Warriors Way.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Black Dynamite of course. You have not lived until you have seen this movie.

Aside from that, I'm going to have to go with Paranorman. The trailers make it look generic and uninteresting, but I can assure you it is anything but. It is extremely well written, and one of my favorite animated movies of all time. Plus, it's stop motion, which is always awesome. If you haven't seen it yet, go see it right now.

I'm sure I've forgotten some movies, but oh well.

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
It has to be Avengers. I'm trying to think of something else, but honestly the only other thing that comes to mind is Cabin in the Woods.

Kind of weird since I don't like Whedon's TV stuff at all.

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
Moon.

Was done in 09 not sure when so maybe over 3 yrs.

Awesome story no big fancy SFX what it had was just brilliant.
part that stood out for me was when the robot GERTY (played by Kevin Spacey) was talking to Sam and put his hand claw gripper on him. you could just see Sam realize things.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
I will agree with OP that Drive is definitely up there, but for me the award would have to both Duncan Jones films Source Code and Moon.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Omega500 said:
Moon.

Was done in 09 not sure when so maybe over 3 yrs.

Awesome story no big fancy SFX what it had was just brilliant.
part that stood out for me was when the robot GERTY (played by Kevin Spacey) was talking to Sam and put his hand claw gripper on him. you could just see Sam realize things.
Sam Rockwell was great in that.
I think that film will see a little more quiet time and then be brought up to live with other psychological classics (Eternal Sunshine and The Machinist).

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
I'm tempted to say Black Swan, since I'm such a whore for Darren Aronofsky. Also because it's a fantastic movie. I am, in fact, going to give in to my temptation!

Black Swan is, in my opinion, the best movie of the last 3 years. Honorary mention: Moon.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
tangled I remember watching it recently and cheering for the guys inspite of my self plus it was nice and colourfull which is something I havnt seen in a movie in ages

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
My pick is 50/50. It took the Apatow formula and twisted it into a fair bit of affecting drama while still being pretty funny. The casting was great, and every actor did a great job. It's a modest movie, but everything is done so well.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Hm, I honestly can't remember the last time I had more fun at the movies then Avengers, so yeah I'll go with that.