What is it about Nintendo games that make people so angry?

Sep 24, 2008
So, I was in the shower, watching some Super Smash Brother salt and was taken aback. I mean, I've seen some salty losers in UMVC3 and definitely some in SF, but the amount of ANGER displayed by the Smash players was astonishing. I was wondering what it was about Smash until I stopped and thought about it.

Mario Party has the meme of ending friendships [https://www.google.com/search?q=end+friendships+with+Mario+Party&rlz=1C1AVFC_enUS773US773&oq=end+friendships+with+Mario+Party&aqs=chrome..69i57.4567j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8]. I know the firsthand anger of doing everything right in Mario Kart and all of a sudden blue shell after blue shell after blue shell. I've literally played that game since I had my Switch and I've never even seen a blue shell come into my weapon box.

Yeah, Luck and RNG comes into account with Party and Kart. You feel robbed. But what about Smash? Is there really that much of luck? From what I've seen, it's a lot of positioning and knowing your character so well that you can use their moves in ways other people can't anticipate. Yet the salt still flows.

So, what is your opinion? What is it about Nintendo games that brings so much Ire, and what is wrong with Nintendo that they seem to seek out this game design in particular?

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I never really played much of any of the Smash Bros. games, but you're right on the money with regard to Mario Party and Mario Kart. The RNG element just feels like crap - when you're the person negatively affected by it. You can be the more skilled player, do everything right, and still lose. That always bites. I've heard theory that Nintendo does it so that the more skilled players will still win most of the time, but it throws a bone to the lesser skilled players so that everyone gets to feel the joy of victory once in a while.

Granted, who knows, maybe there's an official reason floating around. I've been out of the loop with Nintendo since the GameCube.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
The latest Nintendo product I owned was the 8-bit NES, so I can't comment with actual lived experience, just views informed from second-hand sources.

I think it because of the market that Nintendo targets. Family-friendly competitive co-op games.
Those that play them usually know each-other very well, or at least spends a lot of time around them, which would be fine in a normal setting and situation..but that RNG function creates an environment that pits friend against friend and family against family in an uneven playground where getting a Lose is something being held against you for the rest of your life, and never forgotten.
Couple that with Sore Losers, Sore Winners, Crazily Competitive people and deep dividing family/friend feuds and the disaster is a certainty.

So..anyhow..Anyone for a game of Monopoly?? ,)

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
ObsidianJones said:
So, I was in the shower, watching some Super Smash Brother salt and was taken aback.
Wait, you have a computer in your shower?
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Dibs on top hat!

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
ObsidianJones said:
Yeah, Luck and RNG comes into account with Party and Kart. You feel robbed. But what about Smash? Is there really that much of luck? From what I've seen, it's a lot of positioning and knowing your character so welll that you can use their moves in ways other people can't anticipate. Yet the salt still flows.
There may not be as much RNG in the SSB series but when it does happen it can be infuriating. In Brawl there was tripping and it was annoying as hell. Imagine if in Mario Kart you just spun out control for literally no reason. And then there are the items which can sometimes easily turn the tables against you even if you are clearly more skilled than your opponent. This is why players prefer to turn off some, if not all, items. One time I both me and my friend were at about 100% and i accidentally hit the a slow mo watch that just happened to spawn in front of me as I attack. As a result it left me wide open and my friend Falcon punched me into oblivion.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Drathnoxis said:
ObsidianJones said:
So, I was in the shower, watching some Super Smash Brother salt and was taken aback.
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Dibs on top hat!
OJ is lvimg in the future man. Also, I'm the battleship.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
The reason people get angry with Nintendo games is because Nintendo games are good.

If you disagree with that, just go look at EA's sales for the year.

Tell me people don't love trash.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
And obviously I'm generalizing a little bit but I will never pass up a perceived opportunity to throw shade at EA.

Sep 24, 2008
Drathnoxis said:
ObsidianJones said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Dibs on top hat!
... Am I seriously the only person who uses his water proof tablet to watch things while doing hygiene?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Cold Shiny said:
The reason people get angry with Nintendo games is because Nintendo games are good.

If you disagree with that, just go look at EA's sales for the year.

Tell me people don't love trash.
Has, was gonna come here to say something similar. I dunno, if we're talking Smash Bros with items, it can be really stupid how they change the game. I prefer no items myself personally, but sometimes an item-based match can be pretty crazy fun if that's the point of the match. A match for fun or one for victory basically

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
The nintendo games people get worked up over tend to have mechanics where a lucky item can completely shift the flow of the game. Putting in skill and effort to gain a lead and then losing it all cause "lol item drops" can tap pretty deep in frustration pool.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I guess the party games tend to throw a lot of bullshit your way? I remember a lot of Fuck Yous coming my way while playing Mario Party, almost to the point were the winner is entirely randomized.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I stopped playing Mario Kart after the Wii version because its rubber band AI is so broken that it takes all skill out of the game. I mean, being first in the game is a nightmare as I found that you will be bombarded with shells, Bloopers, POW Blocks and Bullets until you lose first place. I now what Nintendo are trying to do, its to help less skilled players like kids. But fuck me, it is no fun to play if you have even a modicum of skill. I have no idea how these games review so well.

So I will not buy another Mario Kart game until they fix their broken AI.

Drathnoxis said:
Dibs on top hat!
But...but...I'm always the top hat...I WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Because the (Un)Holy Trinity of Nintendo Multiplayer games, Mario Party, Mariokart and Super Smash Bros, are heavily dependent of RNG. Getting the dreaded Blue Shell or watching someone unlock a screen-filling super[footnote] I have no comment on Mario Party as I stopped playing it years ago[/footnote] is one of those things that makes you question why you're even playing if the game is just going to fuck you over for trying to git gud.

The only equivalent I can think of is CoD's Killstreaks, but even those require some skill.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
RNG aside, I think it may have to do with the fact that Nintendo was making multiplayer back before the age of online gaming, when you had to use split screen and everyone had to be in the same room. If CoD or another such game was played on LAN you can bet there'd be some rage, possibly violence (and I'm now remembering a news story when that actually did happen during a tournament at a LAN cafe and led to a tragic death, all because someone was mad about losing a match in an FPS game and couldn't control their anger...).

Smash Bros. has such a diverse array of characters that very few players will have the time or patience to learn them all, and thus certain fighters can seem completely unfair when they are pitted against a professional user of that style. I know I used to rage a lot when my brother used Marth's charge attacks, 'sweet spot', and crazy range coupled with two strong recovery moves. Additionally, like with Mario Party, players are allowed to choose which of their opponents to focus on eliminating. It always feels like the other players are ganging up on you, even if they aren't. That's why I try to play 2v2 team games of Smash when possible.

Sep 24, 2008
Nintendo make some games laced with elements of sadism, and the people who play those games are often too young and/or immature to rationalize the concept of entertainment. Of course, the same could probably be said for plenty of non-Nintendo games. Maybe it?s just more understandable due to Nintendo?s target market, but it still shouldn?t excuse the behavior.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Because a small sect of people who think they can take their skills to a competitive environment lack self control and an understanding of their skill level in the wider world? Also consider Smash is still so heavy on local with not always the greatest online experience that people don't get a chance to actually fully get bodied online by a great player, it just doesn't have the structure inherently in the games design online for that. Final Destination is NOT the balanced competitive stage Sakurai either thought or joked it was or ever will be.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Because Nintendo games punish player apathy in multiplayer... and now I need one of those waterproof tablets!

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Dibs on top hat!
Catfood220 said:
But...but...I'm always the top hat...I WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!
Oh, I'm sooooo sorry, but as the initiator, I've already reserved that one for the Bank..(me).

The car is still available though?

Sep 24, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Because Nintendo games punish player apathy in multiplayer... and now I need one of those waterproof tablets!
The Tablet I have is a Sony Xperia z4... yet I really can't recommend it due to my own. Honestly, I've had problems out of the gate. The keyboard stopped taking a charge the very next day after unboxing. Sometimes this unit will freeze for no issue and then black out, and then I have to restart it via it's restart button combination.

To be fair, I wasn't going to bring it into the shower before that happened. But once I got it working again, I said I might as well.

And it works for that. Again, I'm willing to assume it's just my unit, but I'm not going to put any more money into this brand to find out.