What is it with British accents?

Spineyguy

Apr 14, 2009
shootthebandit said:
Scottish accents tend to command a certain level of authourity (eg shrek)

The pan-american accent gives the impression of stupidity or unsubtlety. Wheres the british accent suggests a more intelligent subtle person. Kind of why american action movies tend to be big butch guys with tanks and flamethrowers whereas a british action movie tends to be more along the lines of espionage
You think Shrek sounds authoritative? I can think of lots of words I could apply to that character, but authoritative wouldn't be one of them. I think the particular voice that Mike Myers did was supposed to convey a rustic, lower-class, cynical nature, but with an underlying softness that could be gradually exposed throughout the film, and I think it achieves it pretty well. I don't think it was necessarily meant to lend authority to the character, especially since the story gives Shrek very little authority at all. He's an essentially passive character to whom bad things happen, which is juxtaposed with the established Ogre archetype for comedic and narrative effect.

I also don't think that there is an inherent stupidity or crassness in the Hollywood accent. I think under the right conditions it can be quite poised and elegant, providing we stay away from certain turns of phrase, which I shan't go in to. Nor do I think the English accent implies intelligence. There are plenty of characters in British drama who are well spoken and articulate, but actually very stupid. Just look at adaptations of P. G. Woodhouse's work. I think one of the problems afflicting modern film-making, certainly that of Hollywood, is the need for everything to be very clear-cut, the slovenly desire to make every character and faction fit an archetype. This is why we run into debates like this. There's nothing in any accent that really prevents it being used on a particular character, it's just that accents are used by lazy film-makers to make the qualities of weak and poorly conceived characters easier to identify.

Gaijinko

Aug 4, 2013
To muddy things up even more, if any other "Brits" are anything like me their accent can change depending on mood. I'm originally from Doncaster so if I'm threatened or if things are turning ugly my accent is full yorkshire, if I'm relaxed for some reason I go full upper class with all the proper inflections. If i'm uncomfortable it turns full irish (no idea why), my accent is like an audible mood ring.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
JoJo said:
Yes, I do mean the Republic of Ireland. The British Isles is a purely geographical term for the archipelago in North West Europe, it isn't intended to imply that all the people living on it are British. I was correcting Strumpets on using the term to mean solely the UK, I didn't say that accents in Ireland were British accents.
Ah, gotcha. It can't have been a particularly glaring error though, I didn't even notice the British Isles in his post til the second time round. :p

On a related note to this topic, I came across this issue in real life last week actually. My colleagues in engineering geology had to give a presentation to their lecturers the other day. Apparently the lecturer marking the thing noted that really, some marks for presentation should be given for the use of Queen's English, or removed for the lack of it. This was said when a mate of mine, who speaks in the thickest, most glorious Liverpool accent you're ever likely to hear was presenting. We also have a bunch of Nigerians on the course, one girl originaly from Zimbabwe, and English people from all over the British Isles (including the Republic of Ireland :p). In fact, only one person on the entire course actually speaks Queen's English. Needless to say, it was not a popular comment.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Random berk said:
JoJo said:
Yes, I do mean the Republic of Ireland. The British Isles is a purely geographical term for the archipelago in North West Europe, it isn't intended to imply that all the people living on it are British. I was correcting Strumpets on using the term to mean solely the UK, I didn't say that accents in Ireland were British accents.
Ah, gotcha. It can't have been a particularly glaring error though, I didn't even notice the British Isles in his post til the second time round. :p
Yeah, I wouldn't normally have bothered pointing out a mistake like that but since Star was being nitpicky with the OP, I thought it a tad hypocritical to then have an error in his own post. Plus who doesn't love correcting people online XD