What is metal music made of?

JambalayaBob

Dec 11, 2010
Metal is quite an awesome genre of music, and I think most of us could agree on that. But this begs the question, what is metal music made of? It could be almost anything, there are many different metals after all. Is it possible that each subgenre is made of a specific alloy? I've been researching this quandary for hours, but I just can't seem to figure it out!

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
Mostly Iron. Followed by trace amounts of three of the follwing: silver, human blood, lead, uranium, onyx, cobalt, silicon or concentrated orange juice

InfiniteSingularity

Apr 9, 2010
Depends on the sound - death metal is made of iron, black metal is made from aluminium, power metal is made from silver etc. Metallica's Black Album would be polished steel; whereas their St. Anger album is iron oxide

Edge Hypermatter

Mar 19, 2009
Huh. I would have said black metal's made of cast iron. Cast iron that's been screamed at for several hours.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
it is made of Steel, Tungsten, and Dragons (dragons are now a metal)

exampleAccount

May 2, 2011
Metal is all the best bits of rock overused to the point where everything sounds like one monotonic pile of shit.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
JambalayaBob said:
Metal is quite an awesome genre of music, and I think most of us could agree on that. But this begs the question, what is metal music made of?
Sugar, spice and everything nice?

*shrug*

It's tough to say because, as stated, metal is such a fragmented genre these days that half of the things you'd point to as being metal would have half of the fans of certain metal genres crying "that's not metal!"

Cookie-darling

Jun 1, 2011
From what I have heard over the years, black metal is more metal than everything else metal. It doesn't matter what their hair looks like, how they dress, or what their instruments look like. Hell, it doesn't even matter how eloquent they are. True metal artists in my opinion are super talented. They have super fast and complicated guitar riffs and drums. Cradle of Filth is a great metal band. The lyrics are also like poetry. There are many people who don't like metal, just like many people don't like country, rap, or gospel. It's all about perspective, really. I just think the best metal bands are the ones that are most talented. Being able to play super fast complicated instruments is not easy.

blippity

Apr 30, 2009
Not Good said:
Mostly Iron. Followed by trace amounts of three of the follwing: silver, human blood, lead, uranium, onyx, cobalt, silicon or concentrated orange juice
+1

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
there is a lot that goes into classifying metal since there are so many sub-genres, mostly it's just guitar tuning, tempo, and how the singer sings.

and this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres] will tell you the major metal sub-genres, what they sound like, and notable bands in that sub-genre. Thanks wikipedia.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
JambalayaBob said:
Metal is quite an awesome genre of music, and I think most of us could agree on that. But this begs the question, what is metal music made of? It could be almost anything, there are many different metals after all. Is it possible that each subgenre is made of a specific alloy? I've been researching this quandary for hours, but I just can't seem to figure it out!
Its pretty easy, its

Ormagodens corpse. Different mixes of his steely skin, his fiery roar, his rumbling below and his molten blood. And a varying amount of Aetulias sorrow. Who sings her misery in a wailfull dirge.

Ignore this if you've never played brutal legend.