What is noscope? And other "stupid" questions about games you've been too afraid to ask.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
onion panzer said:
Evonisia said:
Lilani said:
Ah, I see, I figured it was something like that. I guess it didn't make sense to me because in TF2, the sniper rifle does very little damage if you don't use the scope. When you zoom in it begins to charge and it takes a couple of seconds to do maximum damage. Shooting it without zooming is really useless unless your target is already nearly dead. But I guess in other games where long range weapons do the same damage whether or not you use the scope, I can see how people would use that to measure their e-peens.
That's why it's often used as a joke in TF2, because TF2 is one of few games where noscoping and quickscoping are simply not valid tactics (and thank fuck for that, quickscoping at the very least is inherently balance breaking).
some snipers (especially the ones that play comp) do quickscope at close range because it out damages the smg and they are skilled enough to reliably get headshots.
I weep internet tears at this information, but then again the Huntsman has long since trained people to avoid enemy Snipers like the plague.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Dingobennyfred said:
I have a question: How hot is too hot? I do all my gaming on a laptop (Lenovo y510p), which I have little to no technical knowledge of. If a play games like Farcry 4, with full graphics, it's not quite as hot as a hair dryer in heat, but still kinda hot. Is this kind of heat harmful? I can add a cooling module, I think. Is any kind of heat exhaust harmful? Games that use the Source engine on this laptop are quite cool, but most modern AAA games can be somewhat scalding. Am I harming my computer?
With laptops, especially gaming ones, 'too hot' is incredibly hot indeed. Thing is, laptops with really high specs tend to produce a lot of heat. I'm using one right now (old, and not super-high spec, but high enough to produce a lot of heat), and the exterior of the case is permanently warm, and if you play something that maxes out the system, the temperature out of the exhaust fan is positively scorching.

So... How do you know if it's merely 'hot' or 'too hot'? Well, laptop components are designed to tolerate 90+ degrees celsius when running, and many can survive extended periods at 110 degrees...

Beyond that, you'll know about it.
The only situation where a laptop is actually 'too hot', is if it shuts down at random when you try and push things. Though you often find the cooling fan is clogged with dust if that's happening, but it shouldn't normally happen.

Having said that, if you can provide extra cooling, that will extend the life of your laptop, but honestly, if you use it for gaming, you'll find it's too slow long before it's ever at risk of a hardware failure...

For instance, my absurdly hot laptop, which at times has had clogged fans and shuts down randomly (well, it did until I cleaned it), is now 9 years old and still runs flawlessly.

And if you used it, you'd think it felt unreasonably warm pretty much the whole time.

One thing you can do, but you have to know your computer, is to listen to the fan. The more it's struggling to cool the system, the louder (and faster) the fan gets.
Because I knew how loud my system normally got under a heavy load, one of the signs of a clogged fan and imminent shutdown would be if the fan suddenly went form 'obviously working hard, but rather quiet', to 'making really loud noises'...
You can often hear the transitions in fan speed, from say, doing nothing, to having a heavy load on the system, but this was beyond what it ever got normally, and sure enough, every time I hear that, the system probably shuts down to protect itself within 5-10 minutes.

Anyway, extra cooling would prolong the lifespan of the system (but you know it's like the difference between it working for 20 years or 30... So... It usually doesn't matter), but really, as long as it isn't shutting down on you, it's probably fine, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Lilani said:
My primary experience with FPS's is TF2, and when I started hearing about "noscope" and "360 noscope" when it comes to sniping I was quite baffled. I never found out what it meant, and before I knew it the term had become so ubiquitous I was rather afraid to ask.

So now I say, fuck it. What is noscope or 360 noscope or whatever, and what does it mean in relation to TF2 or other FPS's? And because it's easier to do embarrassing things when everybody is doing it, I encourage others to ask questions you've been afraid to ask because you've been lead to believe it should be common knowledge.
Also, in case it comes up in the chat, "hardscope" is what people call when you use a sniper as a proper sniper where you aim and shoot.

Yeah, after Modern Warfare 2 that became so rare that people decided to put a name on it because apparently using a sniper didnt meant aiming through the scope anymore.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
ok, what is this 'based' thing that pops up in regards to a description of something (based mom, etc)? is it a 'comical' misspelling of best or something?

TheMightyMeekling

Sep 10, 2014
Bob_McMillan said:
Mine is MLG. Apparently it means Major League Gaming/er. Still not sure if it's supposed to be ironic or not.
Oh, I always thought that meant My Life's Gaming! That makes more sense then.

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
onion panzer said:
some snipers (especially the ones that play comp) do quickscope at close range because it out damages the smg and they are skilled enough to reliably get headshots.
Quickscoping isn't skilled. Whilst it takes a modicum of effort to quickscope, its easily one of the most pathetic ways to play the game. Its stuff like that that drove me away from online FPS. I don't mind getting killed by someone better than me, or by a talented sniper, but some n00b quickscoping all his kills is just pathetic.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Ushiromiya Battler said:
DoPo said:
Silentpony said:
If the game runs fine, no lag or clipping or loading issues, why does the FPS matter so much? And how can you tell the difference between high .vs low if low already runs perfectly smoothly?
That's the thing - there is a difference, higher FPS is smoother. It's smooth, in fact. And "stupidly high" is, what, 60? Because that's standard. 30 is barely normal but not for a lot of people. 30 is low. It is, in fact, not smooth.

Your statement is baffling - the question is not getting more FPS for the FPS' stake when everything is smooth. The fact is that without enough FPS, the picture is visually choppy and hence the game doesn't run "perfectly smoothly". People don't (usually) want more than that, they want that.
A thing to take in to account is that seemingly most people that don't care for fps plays consoles.
When you're sitting far away from a TV it's a lot more difficult to notice the choppiness compared to sitting with your face inches from a monitor.
This is why I don't mind 30fps minimum on consoles, but anything under 60 on pc is visibly not smooth.

What really baffles me is people saying there is no difference when they're on a pc and inches from their screen.
Silentpony said:
I got one! Why do FPS matter so much?
I mean, sure, I'll go with the generic line that high FPS is better than low...
but if the game runs fine, why does it matter?
It can still make somewhat of a difference on consoles though, as it'll effect response time, for an action brawler, you'll certainly want 60. Batman Arkham Origins is considerably harder due to WB Montreal being a bunch of talentless hacks who broke Rocksteadys lovely Arkham engine, thus Origins runs at 30fps while Asylum and City run at 60, Batman is noticebly slower to react in Origins or doesn't react in time at all. For a game like Batman where timing is extremely important, especially on Hardcore mode where you're relying on perfect timing and the animations to counter at the right time, this is not acceptable. I can play Asylum and City in my sleep due to its silky smooth FPS, while Origins I get slapped about quite reguarly due to wonky response.

In an ideal world they'd all run at 60, though it's not /always/ bad. Dark Souls runs at 30, but the development team at least accounted for that fact worked around it. Arkham Origins on the other hand runs at 30, while still maintaining the 60 fps gameplay from Asylum and City, so it all breaks down.

The games you mentioned Silentpony are more than likely fine to run at lower framerates, as long as it's consistant, because there's no reaction or twitch based gameplay. South Park kind of needs to run at 30 too, because that's close to what it runs at on TV, plus the way South Park is animated would likely be kind of wierd to look at in 60 FPS.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Mine is MLG. Apparently it means Major League Gaming/er. Still not sure if it's supposed to be ironic or not.
It means whatever just happened is good enough to be considered pro-level play. It's almost always used sardonically.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Ushiromiya Battler said:
What really baffles me is people saying there is no difference when they're on a pc and inches from their screen.
The answer is simple: acclimation.

I used to play games at 12-20 FPS, and not have any problems. In fact, I was so used to the terribly low framerate that higher-FPS looked and felt weird to me.

If you're used to playing 30-FPS games most of the time, and play an occassional 60 FPS game, you will feel 'There's no difference" because you're not used to the extra frames. However, if you are used to 60 FPS games, the 30 FPS will become readily apparent. It's not only Game FPS that the acclimation's noticable - every sensory experience has it. Wine-tasting, color-matching, etc.

The acclimation to FPS is something readily apparent when watching The Lego Movie - it's at a very low frame rate, but watching most of the movie, it feels largely smooth, with the choppines being more a product of the fake stop-motion effects... but the shift in framerates between 24 and 8(?) at the ending make the framerate choppiness is incredibly obvious

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
MLG [http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/] is an actual gaming league, and is used sarcastically to suggest someone is (or thinks they are) pro level.

Noscope originated in Counter-Strike and took hold in Call of Duty to describe shooting someone with a sniper rifle (AWP or Scout in the former) without scoping in. This kind of shot is wildly inaccurate and the likelihood of actually hitting at anything other than point blank was an anomaly.

360 Noscope is when you jump in the air, turn 360 degrees, and noscope somebody before you hit the ground. The far more common version is the 180, where you sneak up on the sniper, they jump turn and one shot you out of nowhere.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
In fighting games, can someone explain what Okizeme means, and what it means for a fighter to have good/bad Okizeme?

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Why do people think female Shepard has a good voice actress?

Aye aye, it's fully subjective. But female Shepard always seemed really Michelle Rodriquez-y to me. 'Ya know, trying to sound as hard and as badass as possible, and thus failing in the process. A Sigourney Weaver she ain't.

In comparison, I find male Shepard to be so much more natural sounding.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Silentpony said:
Like I have no idea what FPS Bioshock Infinite runs on my lappy, but the game runs fine regardless. Likewise RollerCoaster Tycoon, South Park Stick of Truth, Dragon Age: Origins, etc...
I'm sure I would notice if these games ran below optimal, sure. But if optimal for...lets say Bioshock Infinite is I dunno, 50Fps(no idea if that's accurate. Just using it as an example) and the game perfectly fine, why do so many gamers get up in arms about how its not the single highest FPS of all time, ever, ever.
If the game runs fine, no lag or clipping or loading issues, why does the FPS matter so much? And how can you tell the difference between high .vs low if low already runs perfectly smoothly?
I see it get brought up a lot in games that require frame-perfect timing, like fighting games. In some games, its only purpose is to make everything look nicer by making it run together more smoothly, but in some games, not having 60 FPS means not being able to accurately judge the timing of your moves, and the moves of others. In fighting games, this can lead to dropped combos or improperly-timed counters which is a death sentence among people in fighting game tournaments.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Silentpony said:
Consider a game running at 30 fps on a 1080p screen. An object crosses the screen from left to right and takes two seconds to do so. That's 60 frames, meaning the object will move 32 pixels every frame. If you try to track the object with your eyes, it will jump about 16 pixels ahead of where you are looking, then sit still until it is about 16 pixels behind. You will see the object blurred by about 32 pixels.

At 60 fps, there will be 16 pixels of blur.
At 120 fps, there will be 8 pixels of blur.
At 240 fps, there will be 4 pixels of blur.
At 480 fps, there will be 2 pixels of blur.
Finally, at 960 fps, the blur is down to 1 pixel.

Since everything moves in most games, there isn't much point in 1080p @ 30 fps, as everything will be blurred along its direction off movement. It will look nice and pretty when you stand around and gawp at the scenery, but once things start moving you are far better off if you can do 720p @ 60fps, since moving objects will have about half the amount of blur and the lower resolution will be far less significant.

Now it seems from that chart that I am advocating a FPS as high as you can possibly get, and that there is no perfect framerate, but that isn't quite true. Some 3D monitors have a thing called Lightboost which makes the backlight flash every frame instead of being always on, and the blur is reduced according to the duration of the flash. Old CRT displays also had much less blur because each pixel was only illuminated for a very short time. However, 30 flashes a second will give people headaches. Movie theatres flash each frame several times for this reason. Old TVs worked at 50/60 fps, but office workers complained about 60 fps CRT monitors giving them headaches, which is why they usually went up to 85/100 fps.

TL/DR: on normal TVs, high FPS is a lot more important than high definition when things start moving. Flashing displays can be as good as ridiculously high FPS, but they need maybe 100 FPS or they will give some people headaches.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Why do people think female Shepard has a good voice actress?

Aye aye, it's fully subjective. But female Shepard always seemed really Michelle Rodriquez-y to me. 'Ya know, trying to sound as hard and as badass as possible, and thus failing in the process. A Sigourney Weaver she ain't.

In comparison, I find male Shepard to be so much more natural sounding.
I've heard that Femshep is the best voice for renegade, but I'm a goody goody and always err toward paragon. I haven't played ME as Maleshep so I can't really compare the two, but I got used to Femshep enough that she was endeared to me for the other two games. Though I will confess at first I was a bit underwhelmed.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Lilani said:
Ah, I see, I figured it was something like that. I guess it didn't make sense to me because in TF2, the sniper rifle does very little damage if you don't use the scope. When you zoom in it begins to charge and it takes a couple of seconds to do maximum damage. Shooting it without zooming is really useless unless your target is already nearly dead. But I guess in other games where long range weapons do the same damage whether or not you use the scope, I can see how people would use that to measure their e-peens.

well in your defense theres no reason for a PC gamer to know. Iron sighting or scoping for aim is a console crutch , it was introduced there as a way to give them two sensitivities. its basically a work around to help with how imprecise the standard controller is. high sensitivity on the no scope stick movement with a much lower sensitivity while zoomed in for finer aim, its also often combined with making the target bigger by dropping the field of view. no scoping is there fore a lot harder on a controller and that's why it became some measure of skill (well practice really) but on an analogue controller like a mouse it has no place.
Although the practice has sort of been adopted as a retro fit on PC but here its usually used the other way around by deliberately make hip fired weapons inaccurate.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Dingobennyfred said:
I have a question: How hot is too hot? I do all my gaming on a laptop (Lenovo y510p), which I have little to no technical knowledge of. If a play games like Farcry 4, with full graphics, it's not quite as hot as a hair dryer in heat, but still kinda hot. Is this kind of heat harmful? I can add a cooling module, I think. Is any kind of heat exhaust harmful? Games that use the Source engine on this laptop are quite cool, but most modern AAA games can be somewhat scalding. Am I harming my computer?
That depends on the GPU and CPU in your laptop, different parts have different heat tolerances. Nvidia GPUs for example are well known to run a lot cooler than their AMD counterparts. If you go to the website of the parts manufacturer it should have the info on there.

You shouldn't worry too much though, components have failsafes built in now to prevent them cooking themselves, they will throttle down their speeds until the temps return to an acceptable level or eventually just shut down.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Lilani said:
I've heard that Femshep is the best voice for renegade, but I'm a goody goody and always err toward paragon. I haven't played ME as Maleshep so I can't really compare the two, but I got used to Femshep enough that she was endeared to me for the other two games. Though I will confess at first I was a bit underwhelmed.
Hmm, well I usually play Paragon be cause I haven't the (lack of) heart to play Renegade. But I originally played the game as a male Shepard (funny enough, it was a Dolph Lundgren-inspired blonde Russian Shep) and it was all good. I then tried to play a buzzcut-female Shep inspired by Sigourney Weaver but I just couldn't due to the voice acting. Unlike Mark Meer, I found her VA literally cringe inducing.

Oh well, it's a shame, but I don't think there's much difference between male and female Shep. From what I've heard, anyway.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Silentpony said:
I know people have told you already, but I would just like to suggest something to you (or possibly anyone else that has this question). People can explain as much as they want, but this sort of thing is best seen/felt personally.

If you really want to understand this in a very simple and clear way, do this little experiment:

Find a game that has a focus on accuracy and reaction. Any shooter, fighter or brawler game will do.

Make sure your machine can run it on 60 fps, if not just reduce the quality settings as they are not really that important here or simply choose an older game.

Force it to play on a lower fps by either limiting it to say 30 fps in options or use a program. Then play around some, do quick turns, try to aim at things and jump around. Then turn it back up to 60 and you really should notice a clear difference in how it feels and looks.

An important note as someone mentioned is what you are used to. So if you are used to playing at 30 fps 60 might be a bit weird.
In that case lower it to 15 and alternate between 15 and 30. That is about the same difference someone that is used to playing at 60 would feel playing at 30.. Ish.. kinda.. well you get the point.

After 60 it gets harder and harder to notice the extra frames, so 60 is basically the agreed "sweetspot" for most people.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
TopazFusion said:
Windknight said:
ok, what is this 'based' thing that pops up in regards to a description of something (based mom, etc)? is it a 'comical' misspelling of best or something?
I too would like to know this, because my dyslexia keeps causing me to read the word as "biased".
That's not surprising, it's a misspelling of biased that became a meme.