What is so great about Anime?

ICs2Xist

Aug 30, 2009
Okay. I'm sure someone covered that anime usually has an episode-to-episode plotline and can't be judged based off of a single episode. That's one of the strengths for people who want more time to kill than typical american animation which tends to stand alone. It also tends to get people more hooked into it, which contributes to the whole otaku stereotype.

But what I'd like to emphasize more is the emphasis of the Japanese culture on the art. Consider, for example, the difference between British and American humor. Plenty of Americans will consider British humor to be far superior to its American counterparts. Take "the Office", for example. It came from a highly successful British comedy and has met with some success here, but I've heard it doesn't measure up to its British counterpart. Part of what may contribute to this is simply a change of pace; the same old style of humor you hear in everyday life can get dull, and humor from a slightly different culture may have the novelty to make you laugh.

Japanese culture has a similar effect on anime. The humor is affected, but I think a more important change is the characterization and the character archetypes. They tend to be more overblown than in American shows, yet also tend to show more depth.

Also important to some people is the fact that the girls therein that are supposed to be attractive maintain the appearance of innocence and cuteness rather than slutiness and sexiness... for the most part. That's largely a result of Japanese culture.

Lastly, consider the lack of readily available more teenage-to-adult-oriented animation in the United States that's not purely comedy (or purely garbage) compared with the prevalence of that in anime, and you'll have probably the most important element.

Oh, and many people just like the sound of Japanese too. I know I do.

I didn't watch anime for the longest time, but my friend finally got me to watch Nodame Cantabile; a romantic comedy about classical music students. To this day it's one of my favorite animes, despite the fact that I've watched several more. It's a great one that I'd highly recommend.

hydroblitz

May 15, 2009
Well, I'd say its up to what anime you watch. for instance, a couple of my favorite series include:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Afro Samurai
Darker Than Black
Last Exile

Trust me, there is as much of a range of different anime than the entirety of western television. try not watching Shounen (Kids anime) with a bunch of girls, then you can watch the good stuff.

Dec 25, 2010
ICs2Xist said:
Also important to some people is the fact that the girls therein that are supposed to be attractive maintain the appearance of innocence and cuteness rather than slutiness and sexiness... for the most part. That's largely a result of Japanese culture.
Yeah. See I'm having a hard time believing that one.

Kamehapa

Oct 8, 2009
Fooly Cooly is a great one if you want to watch something and have no idea what the fuck is going on. (Seriously though, it is entertaining)

Samurai Champloo is a must watch; you can even view all of it on either Youtube or Hulu... can't remember which.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
Sounds like you simply had a bad first impression with Anime.

I barely watch any, but there are some legitimately good shows out there.
You just have to sift through the crappy ones (like any form of Television)

lolnoobzor

Apr 12, 2010
thublihnk said:
Death Note blew and Cowboy Bebop was insanely difficult to get into. Face it, there are some people who are dissatisfied with where Anime is as an art. They're not irrational, they just don't share your tastes.
Hmm, Cowboy Bebop always seemed to me to be a great recommendation for people new to anime. Would you mind elaborating on why it was difficult to get into? I might have to come up with a new way to get people hooked.

Also, I was thinking about what I told you on anime as a promising artform, and I was trying to figure out some examples of western animation that could be argued as artistic. The only thing that comes to my mind is Disney's Fantasia, and I'm not sure it really counts, no matter how much I <3 it.

Honestly though, I believe this thread needs more of Mr. Texas' snarky analysis of different shows. Heck, he might become the ZP of anime!

This discussion has me wonder if manga, when they can compare to the quality of graphic novels, are not a better introduction to japanese culture for people who expect their entertainment to contain an actual plot, characters, and perhaps even *gasp* subtext! Would you people who dislike anime, be willing to try out the comic book form?

Stoogie said:
From the 3tb of anime i have, and out of the ones ive watched i would recommend these:
i havent got no where near all the new ones as there are too many and my net is only 100gb a month 1500/256 but anyways from what ive seen.
i have like 100 favourites but i'll just write the very very good ones that u MUST WATCH!. (Excluding Bleach and Naruto)
I've singled out your list, but this is something that bugs me out in a lot of the posts here - you guys are trying to recommend stuff that is objectively no better than Bleach or Naruto to someone who has explained what he hated in them. What I'm saying is, you (and many others) are trying to recommend more shonen/shoujo to someone who came here to trol... er, who came here to find out if there was anything more to anime.

Well, to be fair, I'm really just annoyed to see Highschool of the Dead come up as a recommendation in this thread - HotD is today's single best example of everything that can go wrong in an anime. Of each episode's 20mn, you have approx 5 minutes of recap, 10 minutes of fanservice and 5 minutes of plot. It is even worse than a shonen - it is a harem manga set in a zombie apocalypse, and for pretending to actually be about the zombies, I absolutely hate it. Actually no, even without the zombies I'd hate it, but at least it wouldn't have sucked away the couple of hours it took me to realise how bad it was.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Lately I can't stand anime. If you watch enough of it you realize every single one deals with the fact that the antagonist is much more powerful than the protagonist. Said protagonist than mutters to him/herself I am not powerful enough I need more strength. Then the antagonist goes yes you cannot defeat me you are much too weak. Then a person on the sidelines says no you gotta believe in yourself and then the protaganist goes I NEED TO BELIEVE. and then energy starts flowing out of them and the antagonist goes no how is that possible and then he dies this may or may not take 7 episodes to finish). Just watch a random anime with fighting and you will start to see that this pattern. Doesn't matter if it is Naruto, One Peace, Bleach, Claymore, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Yugioh, that tennis anime.

KindlySpastic

Sep 29, 2010
@Texas America Murphy: I think the problem is that most of what you watched is meant for a younger audience. I would recommend you check out the Miyazaki films, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Ergo Proxy, The Place Promised in our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star. In my opinion these are some of the more interesting anime series/movies.

Stoogie

Sep 30, 2010
why would i want to watch real shows, when i see real stuff in real life 24/7, its really boring.

Griff

Aug 27, 2008
To be honest I'm not as in to anime as a lot of people are. However you do seem to have been dropped in at the deep end, try spirited away, or Howls moving castle.

dstryfe

Mar 27, 2009
Anime is anything animated in Japan. There are kiddy shows, there are mature shows, there are convoluted shows, and there are shows that are so improbably simple as to bore you to death. It's only a categorization for art style, and even that has a large variance. There's so much anime out there that there's bound to be at least one you like, and at least one you hate. Don't hate all anime based on the ones you didn't like; hate Naruto for it. I mean...hate the ones you didn't like, and keep looking.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
ICanBreakTheseCuffs said:
moretimethansense said:
ICanBreakTheseCuffs said:
moretimethansense said:
Texas America Murphy said:
Best of the 3 said:
1. You're a film student?
Well whoop-de-fricken-do that does not give you authoroty to decide what is or is not a good medium.
Sir, I completely agree with your statement but since he is a film student wouldn't it make since for him to be able to tell weither or not a type of film is structurely good?
Not if he believes that he can judge (for example) a 600+ anime from a handful of episodes, let alone an entire medium.
To put the above in to perspective it's as though he watched twelve seconds of Gran Torino (bad example I know but just roll with it) and decided that all films everywhere were just old men sitting on their prcch drinking beer and talking to their dogs, or eight seconds of Trasformors and claiming all films were just robots pissing on people.

Also you can argue what makes a film structurally good till you're blue in the face but that won't change the fact that art, any art is subjective, people like different writing tropes, some people have no sense of humor, others hate sad endings, others still love the concept of a regenerating preist with blessed swords dueling an imortal vampire that duel weilds massive hand guns while wearing a giant red fedora, structure can't account for taste.
I understand.I was mixing up what you and me call "good". To me nothing can actually be "good". Yes it can be structurally good as in how its put together.But the rest is up to the player/viewer/reader.It all depends on your preferences. When someone asks me how was a movie/book/game, I say "I liked it" because I can't tell them what's good or not.Again, it's all up to their preferences.If that guy thinks anime is bad its bad....in his view. If someone else thinks it's good its good...in their mind. See what I'm getting at.

On a side note, the guy only asked why so many people liked anime. He didn't want a entire flame war on weither or not anime a genre or medium when it's neither.
I'm the same way, I hate it when people ask me "is it good?" because it's so damn subjective, hell even if sothing is objectivly "bad" you can still enjoy it.

The problem is that you can't say that anime is bad, in the same way you can't say films are bad or books, the reason that (I at least) started my speil is that I'm sick of seeing these kinds of arguements "It's bad because I say it is!", "I've only seen two episodes/played one example of the genre and didn't like it so they are all objectivly crap", so many claim that anime is objectivly bad as though it were fact, many of whom have never watched a series through to the end, and many go in wanting to hate it which is what I'm seeing here, just look at his posts about death note, he is effectivly saying "this guy isn't acting how I would so this is stupid" if he is in fact a film student he is a very bad one.

scorch 13

Mar 24, 2009
FargoDog said:
Watching the opening to Neon Genesis now. It looks like a Godzilla movie.

Okay yeah now they're shooting missiles ineffectually at the monster. Critical darling my ass.
Oh just fuck off. You're purposefully being a judgemental prick.
I know someone in this thread who can't take a joke.
You just encountered an "alpha anime fan" have fun with the fanboyism and moodsings.

scorch 13

Mar 24, 2009
Pointing something out is not the same thing as doing it.
mirasiel said:
I'm the best boyfriend she's ever had so deal with it.
Wow, that poor girl are you her first or were her last mates total alphamale dicks?
Fourth. And not as much as I am.

And in case you didn't understand me earlier.

Deal with it.
Looks like you pissed off an "internet elitest".

snave

Nov 10, 2009
People tend to mistakenly worship anything foreign as better than the local equivalent simply becuse they are not yet tired with the cliches. Even something that may be completely overdone and lame to the locals may provide a curious cultural insight to a foreign viewer. Anime has its fair share of crap just like any other production... field, like Hollywood tripe. It also has its fair share of gold, like the Miyazaki films: the man is likened to Walt Disney for a damned fine reason.

When comparing 4 hours of Western animation and 4 hours of equivalent quality "anime", the latter may even tip Western films in a modern setting simply because long running story arcs as opposed to Western "shorts" styles adapt very nicely to DVD marathon sessions.

Problem is that the whole culture of watching it tends to overlook the flaws and incessantly defend them instead of accept that an overseas viewer may simply not be attuned to recognising them. Can make anime devouts an utter pain in the butt to endure. Case in point: I'm sure you enjoyed a lot of cliched rubbish when you were a child, not because you were stupid but because you simply couldn't recognise a horrible cliche (or were blinded by a new artistic style when you'd otherwise be noting a lack of plot cohesion).

aithilin

Jul 4, 2009
It is popular because people like it. The genre is easy to access, different than what most Western audience is used to seeing, and tends to present a long-running series with real character development.

But, as a film student, I'm sure you're well aware of the differences between "cliché" and "archetype"; and "intended demographic" and "foreign audience." Never mind the pervasiveness of advertising, and capitalising the "Other" element of foreign film (otherwise, why on earth would you claim that you watched an Irani film like it's some sort of achievement?.

Anime is a medium and style, not a genre. Within anime-as-a-medium are the genres. The medium is popular in the West because it is an exposure to a different culture, different style, and different set of pretenses that aren't devolved to "cartoons are for children". You'd have a better discussion specifying a genre within the medium ("why is Naruto popular?" or "Why is this fantasy equivalent of [insert Western film of choice] more popular?") rather than generalizing.

You're asking "why are video games popular?" rather than "why are MMO/RPG/RTS/FPS games popular?"

scorch 13

Mar 24, 2009
Deathnote Update 2:

YOU SON OF A ***** DVD PLAYER. YOU PLAY DVDS FOR ME FOR TWO YEARS AND THEN BETRAY ME LIKE THIS! I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL BREAK INTO BEST BUY AND KILL YOUR ENTIRE DVD PLAYER FAMILY.
You are now the greatest person ive on this site.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Red Rum said:
Sounds like you need to watch an anime that's more closely grounded in reality. There are animes based on "shojo" manga, which are designed mainly for girls and range from sci-fi to historical, but are more focused more on human drama and character development than action (think anime versions of Lifetime Movies). Titles include: Ouran High School Host Club, Romeo x Juliet, and Vampire Knight.
Never compare Anime anything to those god awful, sexist "movies" again, I may have to hurt you.