What is TF2 like?

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Hazy said:
And yet, at the same time, any game can suddenly turn into the most serious match of your life.
Definitely try it out, OP. 'Tis quite a bit of fun if you're with the right people.
My FUCKING ribs hurt!

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
bahumat42 said:
Flying-Emu said:
archvile93 said:
It's a good way to raise your blood pressure to dangerous heights. Also, everyone will most likely have better weapons than you, and the only way for you to get those weapons is to kill those better equipped players enough times to get the achievements or pay Valve. So good luck with that, you're going to need it. By the way, the soldieer is not the basic class, since rather than having a general all purpose assault rifle type weapon, he has probably the most situational weapon in any game, a rocket launcher coupled with another situational weapon, the shotgun. Come to think of it, almost all the classes has a very situational weapon, it's pretty much just a glorified rock paper scissors. Every class is tailor made to destroy another specific class and nothing else.
So you played TF2 for what, six minutes?

Any class can beat any class. A scout can beat a soldier, a heavy can beat a sniper, and a medic can beat a pyro. It all depends 100% on the skill of the players involved.
brilliant rebuttle :)
Thank you.

1500 hours of the game will do that to you.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
It is a multiplayer first-person shooter with a non-realistic theme, both in gameplay and art style.

It is class based. Each player choses one of nine different characters, each with a fairly well defined role. You have the all-rounder Soldier, the static defence Engineer, the long range Sniper, the damage-soaking Heavy and so on.

You could probably get a better idea of what it is like by watching a couple of gameplay videos on youtube.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
Hazy said:
Doctor VonSexMachine said:
It's a silly fps. I love it.
And yet, at the same time, any game can suddenly turn into the most serious match of your life.
Definitely try it out, OP. 'Tis quite a bit of fun if you're with the right people.
Hoe
Lee
Shit
My friend is on the floor barely breathing. You killed him...you bastard.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
I am Omega said:
5: Try to find a server you like, (like the Escapist servers, nudge nudge).
What ARE the escapist servers? Hopefully one on the west coast...or midwest.

RaziTheRed

Jun 15, 2010
archvile93 said:
It's a good way to raise your blood pressure to dangerous heights. Also, everyone will most likely have better weapons than you, and the only way for you to get those weapons is to kill those better equipped players enough times to get the achievements or pay Valve. So good luck with that, you're going to need it. By the way, the soldieer is not the basic class, since rather than having a general all purpose assault rifle type weapon, he has probably the most situational weapon in any game, a rocket launcher coupled with another situational weapon, the shotgun. Come to think of it, almost all the classes has a very situational weapon, it's pretty much just a glorified rock paper scissors. Every class is tailor made to destroy another specific class and nothing else.
You must not understand how the classes work then. ANY class can kill ANY class depending on how you use it. A great Sniper can even beat a good Soldier in close quarters.

And "better weapons"? Each weapon has ups and downs to it, no weapon is inherently better than another: something I can vouch for as an almost completely vanilla player.

TF2's classes are meant to encourage teamwork with their various skills, abilities, and such, but at the same time a great player doesn't suffer for choosing to stick to a certain class.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I'd look around for a friendly server where you get practice a bit first. It's pretty easy to pick up though, and if you need to learn tricks like rocket jumping (soldiers, demoman) just observe on youtube. :)

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
icame said:
Epicness incarnate
What did you just say [http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/435]

OT:Its a good game, sillier than most other shooters, and has a generally friendly fanbase.
It also supports alot of different playstyles, which i love about it.
I would highly recommend it.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
AdmiralMemo said:
Heavy: Get a Medic buddy, period. Protect your Medic buddy, period. Failing that, try to get a Sandvich. Otherwise, just shoot anything the other color, and soak up damage like a sponge. Target Medics if you see them.
I disagree with this. A heavy does not need a medic. IF you have the Gloves of running and the sandvich especially, you don't have to have a medic to survive. The trick is to know when to break off, retreat and find a healthpack or eat sandvich.

AdmiralMemo said:
Medic: Be a Medic buddy. Find a Heavy and follow him, healing him always. Change targets occasionally when other players need healing and your buddy can breathe for a few seconds. Be careful, though. If the other team sees you healing your buddy, you become the prime target to take out first. Remember that you can heal your buddy from around corners, so you're not in the direct line of fire. If you can't find a Heavy, try finding a Soldier, Demoman, or maybe a Pyro. If you want to be an offensive Medic (not usually a good idea, but it can work), try being part of a Double-Medic team with Ubersaws.
This I disagree with greatly. Medics can heal things other than heavies. Soldiers make great medic patients, since they're the jack-of-all-trades class.
Pyros are great to uber, especially if they're carrying the normal Flamethrower and axetinguisher. One of my highest scores as a medic was from having a pyro patient for a round.

Demomen are good to use the kritzkreig on, as are soldiers since their rockets or pipebombs become insta-kills to anything other than a heavy. (Nothing like killing everyone on the payload cart on payload with 2 pipebombs).

As a medic, since you're not shooting stuff, learn to look around. Be observant. Turn around often so you don't get back-stabbed by spies.

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
It's stupid now...
Take it from someone who has been playing since beta/been on multiple competitive TF2 teams and in leagues....

It's all about hats and stupid items. A lot of them are unbalanced...everyone thinks they are amazing at the game because it's a "team game" so they don't judge themselves of their own skill, they do it off their team. Pubbers are obnoxious and horrible at the game...

etc etc

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
How do I go about finding a decent server? What is the escapist server anyway? I completed the tutorial, going to try playing multiplayer tomorrow.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I just started playing and I am finding a good spy is the most over powered thing in gaming history. I have had so many knives in my back in the short time I have played it, I look like a hedgehog.

It's is kind of fun, I do get annoyed there isn't any nades though.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Servers:
Fast respawn
Official maps

Good maps and you dont have to wait so long to play again when you die.

Gamemodes:

KOTH- both teams try to capture a single point and hold it for 2 minutes.
CP- like KOTH, but several points instead of one, and one team only defend whilst other capture.
PL- payload map, there is a cart you have to push from A to B while enemy team try to stop you.
CTF- capture the flag, each team has a intel that enemy team must steal
Arena- no respawn, team deathmatch

I do not recommend arena in the beginning, seeing as it is the servers that seem to attract the higher skilled players. Beeing a newbie you will spend a lot of time waiting for end round.

Fun community made modes:

Dodgeball- you play as pyro, playing dodgeball with a missile..
Prophunt- one team hide as different props, other team try to find them.
Randomizer- game chooses class and weapons for you, so you can end up as beeing a scout with soldier weapons for instance..

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
Corpse XxX said:
Servers:
Fast respawn
Official maps

Gamemodes:

CP- like KOTH, but several points instead of one, and one team only defend whilst other capture.
PL- payload map, there is a cart you have to push from A to B while enemy team try to stop you.

I do not recommend arena in the beginning, seeing as it is the servers that seem to attract the higher skilled players. Beeing a newbie you will spend a lot of time waiting for end round.

Randomizer- game chooses class and weapons for you, so you can end up as beeing a scout with soldier weapons for instance..
I couldn't resist and went into one of the tf2newb servers as a medic. I was ranked second on the scoreboard, but not sure if that's cause I was the only medic or I am just a quick learner. Can't wait to play more tomorrow :eek:

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It's pretty straight forward if you manage to remember the title, "Team" being the main part, work with your team at all times.
And you really can't get good at it by reading about it, some info is cool but experience comes from playing it.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I didn't actually like it because all I ever felt anyone was doing is rushing into the battle but never felt like I was doing anything

I prefer COD or Halo and I'm sure that's going to piss off some poor PC gamer but boo hoo

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
yundex said:
Corpse XxX said:
Servers:
Fast respawn
Official maps

Gamemodes:

I couldn't resist and went into one of the tf2newb servers as a medic. I was ranked second on the scoreboard, but not sure if that's cause I was the only medic or I am just a quick learner. Can't wait to play more tomorrow :eek:
Could be luck, could be skill.. But in general medics always end up high on the scoreboard, its a well paying job so to speak.. You are not in the line of fire so its quite easy to rack up some points for healing and assists...

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
archvile93 said:
So you played TF2 for what, six minutes?

Any class can beat any class. A scout can beat a soldier, a heavy can beat a sniper, and a medic can beat a pyro. It all depends 100% on the skill of the players involved.
Change minutes to hour andd your absolutely right, and I know, xfire says so.