What is the best "Elder scrolls" game out of "Morrowind" "Oblivion" and "Skyrim"

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Right now? I'd have to say Skyrim.

Oblivion was the game I had the most fun with at the time, but the last half a decade has shown that it has aged badly. I got Morrowind shortly after playing through Oblivion and I found it just too broken and tedious. Maybe Elder Scrolls games just get crap when compared to their successor?

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Vrach said:
Dree said:
I have played all of them and feel that my favorite is still by far "Morrowind". Don't get me wrong i enjoyed "Skyrim" but feel it has been dumbed down and simplified for the masses and that if you made a mistake in "Morrowind" it had real consequence.
Yep, Morrowind. I loved the fact you had to actually navigate and explore and not just have a GPS marker handed to you.
Although it got a bit annoying when someone would tell you "take item x to person b" but not actually tell you where person b was. Oh well, at least walkthroughs exist.

OT: I preferred Skyrim over all of them, the aesthetics were a lot more pleasing (I think half my screenshots in my steam profile are of the night sky) and it did simplify things to stop making them such a horrible mess. Although my introduction into the series was Oblivion, which holds a special place in my heart.

I think the most upsetting thing was losing the fucking awful hilarious voice-acting from the previous two games, and the way the Oblivion journal system was set up. Morrowind's journal system was AWFUL, but there's something lacklustre about Skyrim's. It feels a lot less... integrated? Than the previous two.

As for the earlier titles, I can't say anything about them, never played them, and they don't even worked on our technology of the future for the most part, do they?

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I liked Oblivion more than Skyrim purely because I can cast magic with the same hand that's already holding a sword and hold a shield in the other hand. I cannot for the life of me understand why you can't do that in Skyrim but it would've made the game 10 million times better.

And inb4 "But you can use shouts while using a Sword&Board setup!" That's nice and all and I'll let you finish, but...I want to cast magic, not scream at the top of my lungs at things.

[sub]I've never played Morrowind...[/sub]

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
miketehmage said:
I haven't played Morrowind and I feel that if I did now, my opinion of it would be heavily obscured as I suffer from a condition known as "absolute graphics whore".

So, my favorite is Oblivion, though I do think alot of the gameplay was improved in Skyrim, I just preferred the setting of Oblivion. Probably because I played an evil character and the Imperial city was great fun to steal and murder in. There wasn't really anywhere like that in Skyrim.

Also the dark brotherhood was far better. Astrid can suck my nuts.

It infuriated me that after doing 1 quest for them I become the listener, AND THEN ontop of that, even the 400 year old vampire takes Astrid's orders over mine.

IM THE GODDAMN LISTENER DOES THE BLACK HAND MEAN NOTHING?

The black hand was the coolest part of Oblivion.

EDIT: And how did I forget the masterpiece that is The Shivering Isles?
It doesn't hence the whole rebuilding the brotherhood thing

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
Well. I'd say Oblivion, since I've spent about 1000 hours playing the damn thing. It was also my introduction to The Elder Scrolls (I've, since then, played Morrowind, Daggerfall, Skyrim and Arena, in that order.) That doesn't mean that the rest of The Elder Scrolls games aren't awesome, though. Morrowind has a very interesting setting and story, Skyrim also has an interesting setting (still, I'm barely resisting the urge to put a Dragonborn DLC rant here) , and Daggerfall is just plain awesome. Arena is too aged to be playable for longer than 20 minutes, though.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
EcoEclipse said:
This guy highlights the successes and faults of all three of these games:
Ive seen that video posted on the official Bethesda forums, and that guy's points have been so torn apart its funny to a degree I can't describe.

Not that he doesn't make one or two valid points, but the rest, ohh lordy.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
Honestly, I loved and prefer Oblivion. Not to say I don't love the other games, cause god knows I do. But Oblivion holds a special place for me. But Morrowind is a close second, and then Skyrim. But again, I still love all of them.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Popadoo said:
Pretty much this. I loved Oblivion and Skyrim, but Morrowind is just broken, I presume a lot of the respect for it comes from nostalgia.
I personally enjoy modded Morrowind more than Oblivion (haven't played Skyrim). It's worth noting that I had never played Morrowind until the Steam winter sale, but I bought Oblivion years ago and it was the first Bethesda game I played.

While I fully admit that the combat in Morrowind is terrible and far worse than Oblivion, I actually do find that not only does the writing and world make up for it, but little things like less convenient fast travel, no waypoints, and having to us the journal and actually listen to characters to keep track of quests has made the experience much more engrossing than the hand holding you get from Oblivion and later Bethesda games. Probably helps that I didn't care much for the generic fantasy setting Oblivion got stuck with either.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Talk to anyone and they'll give you a different answer, because, despite being in the same "Genre" each of the TES games are fundamentally different

Morrowind has certain things and lacks certain things that oblivion and Skyrim don't have/have, Oblivion has certain things and lacks certain things that Morrowind and Skyrim have/don't have etc. etc.

Even though its nigh on heretical for a fan of the series to say this, Im throwing my hat in for Oblivion. it wasnt my first RPG, but it was one of those games that really cemented my love for the genre. The excellent Lore and backstory, the HUGE open world, I just loved almost every aspect of it.

Thats not to say I didnt Enjoy Skyrim, I did, and still dip back in from time to time for a new character to play through. Morrowind however is a different beast to me. I recognize why its considered a great game, and can agree with it, but the damn game just wont open up to me. I find it almost Impossible to get into it. *Sigh* maybe one of these days Ill try it again in hopes that I 'get' it. I really want to like it :(

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
EcoEclipse said:
I haven't played through Morrowind, because the luck-based combat can go fuck itself. There are probably mods to fix that, but... I'll just deal with it later. Personally, I prefer Skyrim to Oblivon, though Oblivion very clearly had better sidequests. But not much else.

This guy highlights the successes and faults of all three of these games:
Though he makes some good points....

it just sounds like hes ovvereacting most of the time. "Something I dont like in TES? BRAWAGH ITS THE CASUAL GAMERS FAULT!"

Its almost like he dosent realize not every game HAS to be just like Morrowind...

pidgerii

Dec 21, 2012
For me I love the world of Morrowind best. Without everything signposted it made exploring the world important, you had to pay attention to the environment in cased you missed and important landmark or dungeon. With Oblivion and Skyrim wandering around just waiting for undiscovered locations to pop up on your compass took the mystery and wonder of exploration away. That said, if Skyrim had Morrowind's exploration and quest structure that would pretty much be a perfect game for me.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Hyper-space said:
My personal favorite is Oblivion, it was the one that first got me heavily into RPGs, but the answer to this question depends heavily on which one you played first and when. Skyrim was an improvement over Oblivion in every respect, but because I was 14 when it came out I played it much more than Skyrim.

Morrowind however, was just completely broken and unplayable. It had weird and interesting environments, but pretty much everything else was either as good as the future installments (Story-line, quests) or complete shit (Everything else in the game). People often times assume that the story-line and quests were amazing because they correlate their enjoyment of it with the games writing, when in truth its pretty much the same as Oblivion and Skyrim.
Your post exposes the problem: You are too young, and don't know how to play games that don't hold your hand.
Morrowind had FEWER game-breaking bugs than oblivion (assuming that's what you mean by "unplayable"), and FAR better writing. There was actual DEVELOPMENT, not just "and then this happened". There was a deeper narrative than the actual storyline, which took effort and thought to figure out. the faction quests felt like you were participating, not activating the quest marker vending machine. They didn't have a plot, for the most part, and didn't need one, because ADVANCEMENT was the reward, as opposed to "hey guy who showed up six hours ago! you're the boss now, because you hacked and slashed and burned all the way to the end of our low-rent SyFy movie!". Shops were important, unlike Oblivion (they did get that back a LITTLE in skyrim), which added to the world. The combat was "worse" but at least it rewarded you for progress, as opposed to Oblivion, which made you weaker as you leveled. It was also just DEEPER than in skyrim. the multiple weapon skills let you more seriously customize your character, the magic system encouraged clever stat organization, and the dicecheck nature of the system let you pull off more awesome feats than the the followups. The gear was worth more because it always had its best effect, as opposed to the other two where if you do a quest too early, your SUPER AWESOME AMAZING EPIC WEAPON became worthless quickly.

The only problem Morrowind has today are the graphics, and the slowness of switching from melee to magic. Neither of these are actual problems, they just seem that way because we're used to newer technology. But because you have to WORK for your goals, as opposed to following a magic arrow until a text box appears, people think its crap. Let me tell you something: I have beaten EVERY quest in Morrowind, and they still feel new and interesting every time. I have oblivion and most of skyrim memorized.
So yes, you COULD completely ruin a file in Morrowind and make the game unwinnable, but you had to be an idiot to do so. If you play smart, there's never a problem. "where did I leave the quest item i need?" oh right, you left it in your safe item storage area, where you kept those things. "crap, that guy i killed is quest-essential" good thing you saved before you committed an unprovoked crime, in case it went wrong. "where am I going?" man, that would be tough if you didnt take the time to listen to questgivers, read your journal, and navigate on the map. "what am I supposed to do now?" I can't remember, better check through my journal to see what I never followed up on. Oh no, it looks like I don't have any quests. I'd better go to one of the many npcs who offer tasks, employment, and hints on where to find treasure. Or maybe i'll just explore the wilderness that is packed to the gills with places to go and things to see.

Morrowind is fucking great, and will always be. Skyrim is fun, but doesn't have the depth and character Morrowind had, though, true and fair, it does come close in terms of world and writing.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
8-Bit_Jack said:
Starting off your post by insulting someone does not make your points any more valid, and is entirely unnecessary.

Also, Morrowind has tons of flaws
-Terrible combat
-A useless game map
-NPCs that have no real character or life because all they do is stand in one spot and repeat the same 50 dialog topics that 99% of NPCs have.
-Guilds lack any sort of plot, and are just pointless fetch quests, that lead into nothing, and affect nothing, and that have the same depth as a radiant quest from Skyrim.
-Directions given by NPCs are often wrong, and lack details such as how far south, and how far west, something that is south west actually is.
-An attribute/skill system that forces character to become MORE SIMILAR as they level up
-Tons of weapons that are all essentially the exact same because they lack any unique gameplay mechanic of their own, and only differ in what skin they have.
-Tons of broken mechanics that fail to do what they are supposed to do, normally stop exploiters, and only prevent legitimate players from playing the game.(guild requirements specifically)
-Hand placed loot that often makes 99% of dungeons have loot that is worthless for anyone over the level of 20, essentially making most dungeon delving 100% pointless as you wont get jack shit out of it once you get to an event half-way high level like 25.
-the journal system was such a broken mess that they had to fix it in Tribunal, and even then, it was still widely regarded as being crap on a stick.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I got all of these game around the time they came out, and I have to say that I enjoyed Skyrim the most - the atmosphere, the story, the level-up system and many other elements were done very well in my opinion.

Many people like Morrowind because of its difficulty, but I think that people forget how ridiculously easy it becomes around level 16, and how the barter system allows you to become very rich relatively quickly.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Morrowind had the best exploration and plot.

Oblivion had the best questlines.

Skyrim had the best setting.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Starting off your post by insulting someone does not make your points any more valid, and is entirely unnecessary.
except that wasnt an insult. Youth does not make one better or worse, and the second part was my argument. modern videogame design has robbed it of critical thinking. Virtually all free-roam RPGs tell you exactly where to go, and what to do when you get there. Morrowind and games like it (especially ones before it) require you to THINK. As he stated Oblivion was his first RPG, I can therefore assume that he is child of a primarily modern library, and as such in incapable of grasping videogame logic that seems completely basic to myself and my peers who were raised in this previous school of design.
Now, on to your counterpoints to my main article, as it were

Also, Morrowind has tons of flaws
-Terrible combat
The combat action is functionally identical to the later games. The only difference is how damage is calculated, and as I said, I maintain the dicecheck system makes the combat BETTER than the ObliviRim damage soak. I will concede that having an active block is preferable to the passive one found in morrowind, but that is one minor point.
-A useless game map
How is it useless? I have never once had trouble navigating by that map. Your assertion leads me to believe you simply can't read a map.
-NPCs that have no real character or life because all they do is stand in one spot and repeat the same 50 dialog topics that 99% of NPCs have.
as opposed to oblivion, where the same 8 voices have repeat the same dialogue? And can do it even when unprompted? And have even less character because the actors play each of their with the exact same delivery, making it impossible to tell them apart? And how inept the dialogue assignment was, leading to characters saying things that don't match the script, with a different voice than the previous sentence, or even repeating lines entirely as the voice actor requests another take? The developed characters in morrowind sound unique, the devoloped ones in oblivion are identical to the generic NPCs
-Guilds lack any sort of plot, and are just pointless fetch quests, that lead into nothing, and affect nothing, and that have the same depth as a radiant quest from Skyrim.
I already said this. But upon further consideration, they have MORE plot than the ObliviRim factions. Some have MULTIPLE STORIES in one quest group. But even discounting that, as I stated, they didn't NEED a plot, because they had such a good reward system. for example, you had to be an awesome wizard to be head of the mage's guild, unlike Skyrim, where the mage's guild questline is easiest to accomplish if you forgo magic entirely. the quests you receive from factions help raise the relevant skills, and earn you loot, most of which IS actually useful, if you play the game without cheating and thus need supplies from time to time. And no, they don't affect the world around you, but neither do the ObliviRim quests. Those don't even affect their own questlines, but are checkpoints along the railroad. Morrowind guild quests detail the interactions of the people, and have political ornamentation that make your actions seem like part of the WORLD, as opposed to unseen, unheard cave sessions that leave you with none of the recognition the game claims you've earned, as is the case with ObliviRim.
-Directions given by NPCs are often wrong, and lack details such as how far south, and how far west, something that is south west actually is.
There are THREE npcs who have incorrect data. Hardly "often". The rest almost always list landmarks and such for you to make sure you're headed the right way. when they DON'T, its because it's a direct path to the target location.
-An attribute/skill system that forces character to become MORE SIMILAR as they level up
No. Nothing forces you to level anything other than the skills YOU said your character has. You gave your character ten specific skills, and they only relate to the attributes that govern said skills. If you DO level your non-class skills, and attempt to max out everything, of course you are similar to other things. one character who masters everything by definition HAS to be the same as another character who maxed out everything. If YOU have a problem with your character becoming a master of all skills and gaining godlike attributes, then YOU DONT DO IT. This point isn't just wrong, its NONSENSICAL
-Tons of weapons that are all essentially the exact same because they lack any unique gameplay mechanic of their own, and only differ in what skin they have.
ROLEPLAYING game. Variety exists for unique characters, and the different skill sets reward that dedication. In ObliviRim, ALL melee weapons are the EXACT same, without even unique animations for their type (as opposed to morrowind, where you had different animations for knives, spears, staffs, swords and axe/hammers). In morrowind, your character learned to fight with a claymore. If he picked up a knife, he wouldn't know how to be effective with it. In ObliviRim, your character magically knows how to use ANY bladed weapon with equal effectiveness. True, you don't HAVE to pick up that dagger that has stats twice as good as your claymore, its up to the player, but unlike the last point, this doesn't encourage roleplay, but rewards you for ignoring it. That's another reason the dicecheck system made the system work better: ObliviRim mages have no reason not to deck themselves out in the heaviest armor they can find. it rewards you for ignoring the rules of the world and treating the game like brawler.
-Tons of broken mechanics that fail to do what they are supposed to do, normally stop exploiters, and only prevent legitimate players from playing the game.(guild requirements specifically)
Like what? You mention the guild skill requirements, but that's to encourage you to go do other things instead of grinding through ONE questline. You're supposed to be traveling, doing multiple quests from multiple groups. No wonder you think it's boring, you're playing the quests like the spoon-fed stuff in ObliviRim (which, by the way, ALSO tries to encourage you to stop one questline and do other things, by giving you the "come back in a few days/a week" messages) instead of doing a task and letting it lead you to other quests or dungeons to crawl. So what are some of these other "tons of broken mechanics"? Most of the glitches that exist either are virtually unavoidable in this sort of game and affect legit and cheating players equally, or happen as a result of deliberately trying to fuck with the game. I can't think of a single mechanic designed to stop cheating that hinders non-cheaters. Not one.
-Hand placed loot that often makes 99% of dungeons have loot that is worthless for anyone over the level of 20, essentially making most dungeon delving 100% pointless as you wont get jack shit out of it once you get to an event half-way high level like 25.
This point was awkwardly phrased, but i THINK i've figured it out, so i'll rebut: until you get to high levels, if you aren't cheating, you WILL need supplies. The top-range gear rewards exploration. If you want to keep it, you have to keep it in repair. repairs cost money, either for a smith, or to purchase hammers. you will always need potions and to purchase scrolls or spells. until your skills are raised high enough, you can't subsist on your own. You need to dungeon crawl to get free supplies, or to grab loot to sell for the cash to get them in town. the loot isn't insanely valuable because having one trip solve all your money trouble for the rest of the game doesn't encourage you to keep crawling. If you don't crawl, you don't explore, which means you aren't playing the game. And yes, once you are at high levels and are making your own potions and enchantments and repairing your own gear, and making tons of money, and collecting gear that has not value except the money you can't spend, dungeon loot seems a little worthless. BECAUSE IT IS. you've moved beyond it. you're operating on a different scale than you were when you were an atrophied malnourished prisoner scraping in the mud for the spare gold to afford the silver weapon you would keep to fend off ghosts. I don't know what to tell you, except that that's the point. Your character has GROWN. Having leveled loot makes the worthless dungeon scraps slightly shinier worthless dungeon scraps, and makes the weapons less impressive. Suddenly, that daedric artifact spoken of in LEGEND... isn't as good as a sword you took off a bandit's corpse. Wow, guess that accomplishment doesn't mean much anymore, does it? leveled loot turns LEGENDS in VENDOR TRASH.
-the journal system was such a broken mess that they had to fix it in Tribunal, and even then, it was still widely regarded as being crap on a stick.
It's a book that tells you what you have learned. If you can't figure it out, i just don't know what to tell you. Yeah, it sucks that you need to flip through all those pages to find that quest you forgot to do, but, well.. its a book. it also kept you in touch with your character, as opposed to the way the other two (mostly skyrim, but oblivion has a little of this) just list the next task. it makes your quests a checklist, not adventures to recall and tell to awed listeners.

Look, I hate to be that guy, but I think your problem with Morrowind is that you aren't playing it right, or at least don't understand what kind of game it is. It is not a hack'n'slash. it is not a "combat" game. It is a role-playing game, a game about a WORLD, and combat is part of that world. And ObliviRim's combat, while more streamlined than Morrowind's, is LESS deep, and more boring, though Skyrim's better leveling made it MUCH better than Oblivion, despite the even MORE simplified nature of combat in that game. You could argue that they've turned the series into an action game, but its a CRAPPY action game, and its generally a terrible idea to switch genres on your fans (especially since some have been playing their RPG series since Arena). It's still an RPG, just one that isn't as deep or smart as its predecessors. At least the writing picked up for Skyrim, Shivering Isles was just about the only good writing in Oblivion.

I LOVE Skyrim and Oblivion. I still haven't gotten sick of Shivering Isles is some of the most fun I've had in a game, ever. But taken as a whole, point for point, flaw for flaw, Morrowind is FAR AND AWAY the best game of those three.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
solemnwar said:
Vrach said:
Dree said:
I have played all of them and feel that my favorite is still by far "Morrowind". Don't get me wrong i enjoyed "Skyrim" but feel it has been dumbed down and simplified for the masses and that if you made a mistake in "Morrowind" it had real consequence.
Yep, Morrowind. I loved the fact you had to actually navigate and explore and not just have a GPS marker handed to you.
Although it got a bit annoying when someone would tell you "take item x to person b" but not actually tell you where person b was. Oh well, at least walkthroughs exist.

OT: I preferred Skyrim over all of them, the aesthetics were a lot more pleasing (I think half my screenshots in my steam profile are of the night sky) and it did simplify things to stop making them such a horrible mess. Although my introduction into the series was Oblivion, which holds a special place in my heart.

I think the most upsetting thing was losing the fucking awful hilarious voice-acting from the previous two games, and the way the Oblivion journal system was set up. Morrowind's journal system was AWFUL, but there's something lacklustre about Skyrim's. It feels a lot less... integrated? Than the previous two.

As for the earlier titles, I can't say anything about them, never played them, and they don't even worked on our technology of the future for the most part, do they?
If I remember correctly, they gave you a general location and you had to ask around about the person. Worked for me as I really loved all the exploring. Don't get me wrong, I loved both Oblivion and Skyrim, but Morrowind just did a lot of things right and had more uniqueness than them imo.