what is the best rpg you have ever played?

Mr. Bubbles

Sep 27, 2007
Oblivion. It's the only game that I've spent literally hundreds of hours just wandering. I just love the game, and I can't think of any game that I can honestly say I enjoy more.

Skitt

Jun 27, 2004
Xenogears. It's a JRPG cult classic for the PS1 and the continuation isn't half as good, but still good never the less. I'm also an Elder Scrolls fan, but as much as I boast about loving RPGs I've never played Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's gate, or Kotor =/

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Eudaemonian said:
The reason I haven't said Fallout is that sadly, I played Fallout 2 very very poorly when it came out and was unable to enjoy it, entirely through my own stupidity. Since then I have been unable to get it to run on newer machines and have subsequently lost my disc.

If there's some version of Fallout 1 and 2 floating around in the aether that I can enjoy, I would be happen to give them a shot now that I am not a moron (hopefully).
It has the learning curve of a wall, but one you find out what you're doing, it really is beautiful. Laying waste to a small town because they tell you to kill a bunch of scorpions. What? I was a friend to the animals!

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
Here's something rather random considering most of the stuff I've seen out here:
Phantom Brave.
I've played many an RPG in my day (okay, mostly JRPG's because I was always too young to play old blood 'n guts western games), but I find none more intruiging than this one (I haven't played the *original* Disgaea yet, but I have an idea of the story based on reading and other sources of info).
The story is a bit sappy, but stuff like that honestly doesn't phase me. The gameplay is fun because it combines RPG elements with *a lot* of strategy. You have a limited time to use your characters, and some of the maps are so large that if you could hardly get a character from a corner to the middle in the alotted time, but it was possible (even if you had to stop dead in your tracks on some levels). But what I like about it more than Disgaea 2 and other games with extra stuff is that the extra stuff is on the precipice of possible.
The first level can be done immediately, but after that each successive extra level is like finally climbing a cliff and seeing another before you, but it isn't too high and you are excited about it and charging it.
Most of the extra stuff in Disgaea 2 is like climbing a cliff, looking up and seeing a big, blank, empty space with something shiny floating in midair and having to construct a light aircraft out of thin air. And extra stuff in other games tends to be pathetically piss-easy and not worth the time.

tamago

Jan 22, 2008
For me, it's all about the Suikoden series. Even 4 wasn't so bad, though it certainly was the weakest of the series.

And props to the Nippon Ichi strategy RPGs (Disgaea 1&2, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom)

clericalerror

Jan 7, 2008
Personally my all time favorite game was Chronotrigger. Knights of the old Republic had an awesome plot twist I didn't see coming a mile away (also the only game that used the D20 system I could stand playing for more than 20 minutes). But my latest obsession is Oblivion. Take into account I never got to play Morrowind so I can't really compare.

So I may be a little bias as it's the game I'm playing at the moment, but Oblivion is my pick.

Daegen

Jan 23, 2008
My favorite RPG of all time is, easily, Star Ocean: The Second Story for play on the PS1. I know that the graphics aren't exactly stellar, but to be quite frank the story is enough, more than enough....100x's more than enough to excuse that. It's funny, quirky, serious, diverse, adventerous and romantic as well. Private Actions allow you to meet your party members and develop relationships with them, giving you close to 87 different endings when all is said and done. Voice overs during combat and memorable, living characters. Especially Claude C. Kenni, Rena Lanford and Ashton Anchors :D If you have the disposable income to buy it from Ebay, I would heartily suggest doing so. It's a rare find. A veritable diamond in the rough.

IonMaiden

Jan 14, 2008
I can't decide, so i'm gonna list a few of my favourites: Planescape Torment, KOTOR(both), Fallout 2, Anachronox(overlooked game, very good.),Deus Ex.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
My favorite has to be this old Disney game for the SEGA, back in 1996. You play as Mickey and some other guys and go through some actually pretty fun levels. It may just be that I rememer it being awesome, but I think it was a good game, and I still would enjoy it now. That and Ocarina of Time, that game will forever be in my memory.

astranged_airman

Nov 26, 2007
-CLICHE ALERT!!@_@!!-

I still have to say that Final Fantasy 7 is still my favorite. Over a decade since I first played it, and it still has me playing it.

Disagea, Oblivion, Fire Emblem, and the Oddworld series (Not sure if it's considered an RPG or an Action game, but either way) rank up there as well :)

gnaw

Oct 2, 2007
I realize it's old and dated, but I've never played a more satisfying RPG than Pool of Radiance.

AnarkiJ

Jan 23, 2008
tiredinnuendo said:
Morrowind and Fallout win the gold. I really felt like I was playing a role there. RPG for me means more than "This game has levels and loot."

Reading over this thread, apparently most disagree with me.

- J
I'm with you on Fallout, and will add Baldur's Gate, and pretty much all Bioware games. I agree with your overall sentiment too, as as of the beginning of last year, I'd played at least every MMORPG out at the time, and I could not find one I liked, at least, not enough to continue paying or playing for any notable length of time. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much or how little character customization there is in a game, but what matters is having choice, actually feeling like you are that character, whether or not it's one you're created or given, so long as it never takes you out of that role and you never see something happen you didn't think should or would happen. A game that can give you a role to play, be fun, funny, interesting and immersive. That is the definition of an RPG to me.

HorrorBN

Jan 23, 2008
Zera said:
Tales of Symphonia baby. Now I know its not the greatest of JRPGs but hell it had to be good to have me play the game SEVEN times over thanks to its great replay value.
Finaly someone who agrees with me. This is not only my favorite RPG, but also my all-time favorite.
What I liked most about it was the story. It's deep, longer than you would think, unexpected and also the battle system is beautifull.

I also like Chrono Trigger, LoZ:MM and Golden sun 1 (not 2, eccept for its godly summons).

ZeroAX

Jan 23, 2008
do mmorpgs count? if yes wow is the best rpg ever for me. if not i'd say Deus EX though it's action/rpg and final fantasy 6 on consoles

Ricky_Rio

Jan 6, 2008
what about lonely Skies of Arcadia? Its 50-60 hours of game play was superb and had such a deep storyline.

(Note: SoA legends is not a new game its more of an expansion with some new side quests and other stuff and being ported from DreamCast To the GameCube)

Choukou

Jan 23, 2008
I can't say my favourite of all time, because that's like picking which one of your children to sacrifice so the others may live, it's a horrible and impossible choice that noone should ever have to make! But some of the best that I have ever played are thus:
KoToR (I'm playing KoToR II atm...boy it's long.)
FFVII
Oblivion (Also playing atm).
All of the Legend of Zelda series.

Skies of Arcadia: Legends. This one I absolutely loved to pieces! I couldn't stop playing it for 3 days running (granted I was ill at the time couldn't physically move) I got to a point and had to give it back to my friend and I never got to lend it from him again, and so I never finished it. I don't much fancy buying it from eBay for £20 plus P&P...but I might just have to do it.

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords. Granted, I don't actually own the game yet, but I've played the demo and I've ordered it for the DS. It is very promising and I can't wait for it to get here! I'm a sucker for indie-style games :D