What is the best space game out there. Just saw Star Citizen Video

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm watching a very negative video about the $350 million crowd funded game, "Star Citizen" and I'm thinking it looks really cool.

But while Star Citizen may be a con, there has to be some great space games out there. What would you recommend?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
One reason Star Citizen turned into.. whatever the fuck it is is that that the space sim genre is not really in a good place. It's a genre that generally overpromises and underdelivers to a spectacular degree.

In my opinion, the pre-reboot X series is pretty underrated. You're not going to get a great story or deep immersion, but as Elite rip offs go it's pretty comprehensive and actually better in some ways I think, than Elite dangerous, particularly when it comes to the economy. The only really issue is that the pacing is absolutely glacial. This is a German game and it shows. The Euro Truck Simulator vibes are real. That said, I've never played another space game which lets the player become this powerful. You don't just buy a capital ship and feel smug, you buy a fleet of them, supply them from your automated factories and wage full scale war on other space empires, which is extremely fun even if it takes an ungodly ammount of time to get there.

Checking steam, you can pick up Albion Prelude, the final version of X3, for literally £3 right now, and for that price it's a steal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It's weird how almost every space game are just euro truck simulator in space so unless that's what you want there's not surprisingly little choice, and most of those choice have massive drawback.

I heard a lot of people say they really liked star wars squadron but I was literally never able to make it very far because of how incredibly bad the UI is. I have a big issue with any game where duck taping a rear view mirror over my radar would be a massive improvement.

There's always eve online if you like spreadsheet and not doing anything.

Rebel galaxy was a fun little game about flying around with an interesting control scheme (think more like water battleship), sequel sadly completely missed what made the first one good.

I'm slowly getting hyped up about everspace 2... which probably mean it'll be an horrible failure that's going to be abandoned by the dev half way trough development. First one was fun if you like rogue like, sadly it was the kind of roguelike where you start super weak and have to die a bunch to start getting stronger.

Starpoint geminini have some interesting stuff in all of them, but control tend to be pretty crappy and most idea are halfbaked, I think the last one was abandoned mid development.

I'll mention dreadnought but it doesn't fit, it's a team based PvP game. The game is pretty much dead now and for good reason since it was designed to be infuriating (purposefully match you with people with better ship than you). But I freaking loved the way you'd pilot the larger ship, really felt like you were piloting some sort of massive hunk of metal. The ship design were great too, I'd love if they'd made some single player version.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm watching a very negative video about the $350 million crowd funded game, "Star Citizen" and I'm thinking it looks really cool.

But while Star Citizen may be a con, there has to be some great space games out there. What would you recommend?
SC might be really cool if it's ever finished. In the meantime, I'll be waiting over here placing bets how long it takes before it either comes out or collapses under it's own weight.

I'm not even convinced it's a con either. I think Chris Roberts wants this game to come out and be amazing, but he's totally incapable of doing so the way it's set up and he either doesn't realize it or is hoping somehow it'll all turn out well in the end. So basically some of the worst scope creep I've ever seen, a ridiculous whale dependent funding model that is somehow still raking in money and overall incompetent management from Roberts and the upper management at CIG.

Though if it turned out to be a scam, I wouldn't be shocked but I would have think Roberts would have run off with the cash by now if that was the case.

But since you asked for it.......My personal favorite Space game is Kerbal Space Program due to it's freedom to build and fly spacecraft/aircraft/etc and excellent modding community and attention to actual orbital mechanics and such. Now with that being said, it occupies a special niche due to it's emphasis on interplanetary rather then interstellar transport and deals with either current or relatively near future tech. So no (intentional) FTL drives or infinite fuel sources in the base game(but there are mods that can scratch some of that itch for you) and only the one solar system exists(modeled on our own, but at a smaller scale which still requires possibly months of in-game travel to reach). It's also occasionally janky consider it's origins as essentially a side project for the dev team that turned into a full scale game(the publisher? It's a Mexican website/MM design company of all things. Some of the devs were making this on their off time before the company got behind supporting the development) and a number of QoL features have slowly be patched in previously being available by mod only(such as flight automation and craft inventory).

It's often compared to having virtual Legos to build with, an orbital/aeronautical physics sandbox solar system and the freedom to do what you want and explore. Not really a story or endpoint but there is a game mode with objectives to meet if you need the structure to drive you(where you need to manage finances, work up a tech tree and perform contract missions to earn money and research points). Otherwise, it's like minecraft but with craft/base building on a solar system level.....kinda.

There are even madlads who have built their own naval vessels and submarines using the parts in the game, because someone realized that certain parts are buoyant and thus will float on kerbals oceans, so now there's a sub-community of the fandom that has apparently turned the game into a naval design/combat game as well(not a good one, but considering these are spaceship parts they're exploiting it's still kinda impressive).

It's totally not for everyone and that's why I rarely mention it, but it's something a bit different then a lot of the other space sims out there. Especially if you like the idea of simulating the Space Race, the Space Shuttle Program, etc which most games really don't even bother with. Sure there's games like Orbiter but Orbiter is harder to get set up and running and apparently it's even more slanted to the realism side of the scale....also without being able to design the craft, which is one of KSP's major draws.

I'm more then happy to talk it up if you're interested but otherwise I'll leave it here. Or message me so this doesn't become KSP: the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
A couple more recommendations.

It's not really in that Elite-style space sim genre, but it is a simulation of space travel, so I'm going to recommend Kerbal Space Program. If you haven't played KSP, you absolutely should. It will teach you a lot about real space flight. The learning curve is pretty hard, but the mission system does a good job pacing the challenge, and if you're not into building your own rockets you can download other people's designs and use them.

I've also heard a lot of really good things about Star Sector, and I've been meaning to find time to play it. It's not a flight sim, it seems more like mount and blade in space, but it seems to feature a lot of Elite-esque open world economic elements which is really my whole thing with the space sim genre.

My personal favorite Space game is Kerbal Space Program due to it's freedom to build and fly spacecraft/aircraft/etc and excellent modding community and attention to actual orbital mechanics and such.
Wow, the timing!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I played Star Wars Squadrons in VR, and that was an amazing experience.

That said, the game is exclusively dogfighting, and has nothing else beyond that. The story also isn't really much to write home about, other than it was refreshing to play as a loyal Empire soldier, who doesnt immediately defect. Im looking at you, Battlefront 2 (2017).

Other than that, I've heard good things about Elite Dangerous, though my understanding of the game is that it is basically Euro Truck Simulator - in space! (plus the occasional combat encounter).

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I say play with the Classics first.

Like Wing Commander and Star Wars Flight Sims.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The last one I remember that didn’t suck much is Freelancer.
Yeah Freelancer was really fun. I liked how it was set up where you could go either pirate or establishment, and you could still easily move around either way. It just changed if you were using the established jump lanes, or the wormholes out in the boondocks because there were no patrols out there.

The trading system was really fun, and the controls were pretty solid. I keep debating picking up Everspace 2 because of how much it reminds me of Freelancer, at least visually and controls.

Freespace and Freespace 2 were fucking solid as hell. Massive fucking cap ships that you have to battle component by component. It really felt like I was in Babylon 5 at times, in a tiny fighter, going up against Vorlon and Shadow cap ships, given the scale of the ships.

The various Wing Commander games are pretty solid, but also kind of dated, so YMMV on if they are worth your time/effort.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Of everything suggested, I have Star Wars Squads, not VR, and other old Star Wars flight sims, Stellaris, and Dead Space. Kerbal Space Program and DLC is on sale on Steam for about $20. A sequel comes out next year. Very tempting!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This is the best space game.

Although I suppose if you prefer the more exploration aspect then No Man's Sky is quite good at this point.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
A sequel comes out next year. Very tempting!
One really cool thing about that trailer which might be immediately obvious is that it's actually a reference to a KSP fan trailer (bear in mind, modern KSP is a little bit prettier than the version used here).

I'm really hyped for KSP2 despite the slightly troubled development. It's being made by a different studio to the original, and they're going in a slightly different direction with it, which I always think is good in a sequel. KSP1 mostly sticks to technologies which either exist or are well under development, while KSP2 will include more hard science fiction technologies. Think fusion rockets, but no warp drives. With much more powerful engines, you will have the ability to visit other solar systems (I suspect they'll probably fudge interstellar distances a bit to make them more managable) and there's also going to be an emphasis on base building.

Personally, I really like these decisions. A lot of what people did in KSP once they got gud was building these ridiculous sci-fi bases and colonizing the solar system, so adding actual grounded sci fi elements seems like an appropriate move.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Of everything suggested, I have Star Wars Squads, not VR, and other old Star Wars flight sims, Stellaris, and Dead Space. Kerbal Space Program and DLC is on sale on Steam for about $20. A sequel comes out next year. Very tempting!

The DLC are strictly optional but $20 for the whole thing is totally worth it. If you end up going for it, feel free to ask if you want recommendations or advice. The learning curve isn't nearly as steep as it used to be(due to the in-game "kerbalpedia", which acts as a "Space Travel for beginners" guide and a number of optional tutorials) but it's still notable for someone starting out.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The DLC are strictly optional but $20 for the whole thing is totally worth it. If you end up going for it, feel free to ask if you want recommendations or advice. The learning curve isn't nearly as steep as it used to be(due to the in-game "kerbalpedia", which acts as a "Space Travel for beginners" guide and a number of optional tutorials) but it's still notable for someone starting out.
Got the $10 basic game. And the Still Life Bundle for only $1.50. So... it begins! I'm sure I will haunt you for some advice. The positive reviews really sell it. It's just supposed to be a hoot trying to build a rocket, and even if you fail, it is fun. Down loading now.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Got the $10 basic game. And the Still Life Bundle for only $1.50. So... it begins! I'm sure I will haunt you for some advice. The positive reviews really sell it. It's just supposed to be a hoot trying to build a rocket, and even if you fail, it is fun. Down loading now.
Yeah, it's one of those games were failure feels like it's part of he charm. Like when you build the "perfect" spacecraft, and then realize you forgot a vital component like the parachutes on the return capsule and you're already in the middle of re-entry. Not that I've ever done that.....*whistles*

Or when this happens.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, there's very little penalty for failing, even on career mode. I'd also recommend liberal use of the quicksave and quickload keys, especially once things get a bit more difficult. That said, if you're finding it too hard you could always play on sandbox for a bit. Back when I started sandbox was the game, and while it doesn't really have a sense of direction and pacing it's good for letting you focus on just doing what you want without having to worry about efficiency.

If you're struggling with something, remember that NASA or the Soviet Space Program probably struggled with it too. That's not even an exaggeration. KSP gives you a lot of advantages over them, but the biggest one is that you can experiment and fail without consequence.

Like when you build the "perfect" spacecraft, and then realize you forgot a vital component like the parachutes on the return capsule and you're already in the middle of re-entry. Not that I've ever done that.....*whistles*
For me, it was finally getting to Duna (Kerbal Mars) and then realising I'd used a one-way docking port, so the upper part of the lander couldn't separate and return to orbit. That lead to a huge rescue mission though and turned out to be a really good experience.

Last edited: