Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Thanks for that video, it was pretty interesting, but it basically just reinforced my idea that the game doesn't really have anything meaningful to do once you're playing it. Maybe that'll change, but considering the scale of the game I imagine they're going to need to spread content paper thin in order to fill a universe with it.
Oh, I have no plans to invest in SC. IF(and that's a huge IF) it ends up being really good IF it ever releases, I'll probably spend some money to play it.

Oh, and apparently SC is selling virtual real estate on planets that haven't been created yet. So you too can own a barren piece of virtual planet because....CROWDFUNDING!

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Oh, I have no plans to invest in SC. IF(and that's a huge IF) it ends up being really good IF it ever releases, I'll probably spend some money to play it.

Oh, and apparently SC is selling virtual real estate on planets that haven't been created yet. So you too can own a barren piece of virtual planet because....CROWFUNDING!
Yeah, that's the part of the whole thing that makes me really skeezed out.

I don't actually think it's a scam, or at least not an intentional scam, but I really don't like the idea of paying so much money for a virtual thing that I'll no longer have access to if/when the game servers shut down because the game bombed, if it ever does get released (or if it turns out I just don't like the game).

Even if the game is great and I end up liking it how much time would I have to put into a game to make a $1000 price tag for one of the premium ships worth it? I mean, I've probably played like 300 hours of overwatch and it only cost me $35.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, that's the part of the whole thing that makes me really skeezed out.

I don't actually think it's a scam, or at least not an intentional scam, but I really don't like the idea of paying so much money for a virtual thing that I'll no longer have access to if/when the game servers shut down because the game bombed, if it ever does get released (or if it turns out I just don't like the game).

Even if the game is great and I end up liking it how much time would I have to put into a game to make a $1000 price tag for one of the premium ships worth it? I mean, I've probably played like 300 hours of overwatch and it only cost me $35.
Yeah, I can't imagine sinking a $100 into a game(unless it's something either rare or special), let alone $1000. I can only imagine what you'd have to do to convince yourself that $1000(for example) buy in was worth it. I mean, I spent $60 to get AC: Odyssey plus the 2 DLC and I feel.....maybe not ripped off but I wish I'd spent less on it considering. That game took me 100+ hours to beat when the DLC were factored in but $60 feels like it was still too much.

Though I think it does explain why a lot of SC fans seem to be so adamant in defending the thing, because if you've spent that much on a game you're going to have to justify it or admit you wasted a lot of money.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeah, I can't imagine sinking a $100 into a game(unless it's something either rare or special), let alone $1000. I can only imagine what you'd have to do to convince yourself that $1000(for example) buy in was worth it.
Star Citizen has been selling Internet spaceships for $2,500 a piece (the Javelin) in a "limited run", because apparently you can run out of copies of a video game item. They also offered a $27,000 add-on package with 100+ ships, but only for payers (I can't call them players when it isn't even really a game yet) who had already plopped down a cool grand to be a "Concierge member", whatever the hell that is.

The price of a decent brand-new car, for Internet spaceships. It's no wonder the fans attack criticism so ferociously.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
There's a reason the ads talk about "lithobraking", i.e. slowing/stopping by hitting the ground.

Star Citizen's primary problem is that its design document is an ever-expanding list of "wouldn't it be cool if".
Star Citizen is the best argument against auteur driven studios I can think of. Yeah, it’s got a grand ass scope and the director thinks nothing of spending money given to him by patrons to just bloat them fucker. Complain all you want about bean counters, but in SC’s case, a few of them would have been very useful to rein in this ludicrous overspend and set some hard deadlines to the tune of “Finish it or you’re out”.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah, I can't imagine sinking a $100 into a game(unless it's something either rare or special), let alone $1000. I can only imagine what you'd have to do to convince yourself that $1000(for example) buy in was worth it. I mean, I spent $60 to get AC: Odyssey plus the 2 DLC and I feel.....maybe not ripped off but I wish I'd spent less on it considering. That game took me 100+ hours to beat when the DLC were factored in but $60 feels like it was still too much.

Though I think it does explain why a lot of SC fans seem to be so adamant in defending the thing, because if you've spent that much on a game you're going to have to justify it or admit you wasted a lot of money.
If you buy a console or a computer your already putting in hundreds...