What is the Darkest Game you've played?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Firia said:
miracleofsound said:
The Darkness was extremely downbeat and depressing at points.

It was almost too nihilistic and sad to play for long bouts.
Dang, beat me to it.

I was sick with a nasty flu when I first sat down to play it. So imagine the reality altering fevered mental state of someone sick with a nasty flu sitting down to play a game so grim and hellish at points that sane-healthy people would still shriek and cuddle their pink fuzzies. Took me a week to beat it. Took me a week to get over that flu too. Best damn flu ever. :)
Must've been quite the headfuck...

It's a beautiful game, gorgeous looking with a haunting soundtrack and great story.

But it was just so damn sad all the time, it made me dread playing it. Even though I loved it. The starving dog in the WW1 section was a real morbid moment.

The music in the subway is one of the best pieces I've heard in a game too.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Majora's Mask had a certain melancoly to it. I found it all the darker because it wasn't trying so hard to be, it just seeped in.

ButanicXpandA

Oct 20, 2009
Quake 4 is the darkest ive played... as if its not dark enough having to invade the strogg's home planet, but to be brutally turned into one of them >.< ... pretty dark.

JediMooCow

Sep 19, 2008
quiet_samurai said:
OT: Condemned
The Suffering
Manhunt
Exactly. Condemned is dark the whole way through, The Suffering is extremely thematically dark, and Manhunt is dark and disturbing.

Maxman3002 said:
Wow STALKER has come up a lot. Looking like I might have to go back to that one. Just pointing out again that I kind of ment dark as in twisted.
I never saw S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as a 'dark' game. It was pretty simple in terms of theme. Your mission remains the same from the opening minutes: Find dude, kill dude. Can someone explain (genuine curiosity here) where the 'darkness' came in?

The cutscene at the very start, though; that was dark. I don't think I've ever watched a single cutscene more than I re-watched that one. Awesome, and creepy.

JediMooCow

Sep 19, 2008
Maxman3002 said:
Wow STALKER has come up a lot. Looking like I might have to go back to that one. Just pointing out again that I kind of ment dark as in twisted.
I never saw S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as a 'dark' game. It was pretty simple in terms of theme. Your mission remains the same from the opening minutes: Find dude, kill dude. Can someone explain (genuine curiosity here) where the 'darkness' came in?

The cutscene at the very start, though; that was dark. I don't think I've ever watched a single cutscene more than I re-watched that one. Awesome, and creepy.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
miracleofsound said:
Firia said:
miracleofsound said:
The Darkness was extremely downbeat and depressing at points.

It was almost too nihilistic and sad to play for long bouts.
Dang, beat me to it.

I was sick with a nasty flu when I first sat down to play it. So imagine the reality altering fevered mental state of someone sick with a nasty flu sitting down to play a game so grim and hellish at points that sane-healthy people would still shriek and cuddle their pink fuzzies. Took me a week to beat it. Took me a week to get over that flu too. Best damn flu ever. :)
Must've been quite the headfuck...

It's a beautiful game, gorgeous looking with a haunting soundtrack and great story.

But it was just so damn sad all the time, it made me dread playing it. Even though I loved it. The starving dog in the WW1 section was a real morbid moment.

The music in the subway is one of the best pieces I've heard in a game too.
it was a helluva mindfsck. :p

The World War Hell scenario was probably the grimmest of them all. Appearing there just after... well you know what happened. I won't even spoiler tag it. Just, that kind of somber experience coupled with going shoulder to shoulder in the trenches with the Brits. I almost lost my cake when I saw one man say his final prayer, blow his brains out, only to awaken forgetting what he just did and doing it all over again. A real purgitory of hell. o_o

The coup de grace? The plague infested cow in the town. Poor beast had to be in so much agony. I killed it just to end its suffering.

ars731

Nov 10, 2006
Half-Life 2- the whole ingame world has this rundown feel. you can feel that the Combine takeover has decimated the earth

GoldenCondor

May 6, 2009
Bored Tomatoe said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl was unflinchingly grim in it's subject matter.
Yeah, this is about it.

Also Diablo II sets off a very lonely feeling, it's really creepy.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
GoldenCondor said:
Also Diablo II sets off a very lonely feeling, it's really creepy.
Forgot about that.Haven´t played Dablo II in a long time.

Off-topic:Your avatar is awesome.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Planescape: Torment, because it went beyond being a game and intruded my thoughts. And of course classics such as The 7th Guest, The 11th Hour and the original Alone In The Dark trilogy.