What is The Escapist Basement?

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Ooh, ooh! A guy in the thread that I think you're referring to had this explanation of what the basement is. I like it. Here you go.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.304903-Hello?page=2#12237629

Now don't go down there. Ever!

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
xXSnowyXx said:
As a more or less newfriend on the escapist it is difficult to pin down exactly what it is. It is clearly a meme here, though what it refers to is difficult to deduce. From what I can gather it seems it is/was a section of the forum where all the trolling/spamming/etc posts were transferred to, or perhaps somewhere where only banned persons could post, but probably doesn't exist anymore. Probably. Or maybe it never existed, this is purely speculation based on secondary information. Only the oldfriends here know for sure, or maybe they don't.

But you didn't here it from me...I was never here. And don't go in the basement.
I've been here a while, and I think it's just a joke. Since it's claimed (by many seperate people) Cthulu, Slenderman, Endermen, Daleks, Jesus and many other entities are down there. I'm not sure if it ever existed. If a 'Basement' section of forums ever did then I think most people continuing the meme don't know why they're doing it.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I've been here for years and I have no goddamn clue what this basement shit is. All I know is that I saw people posting about how horrible it is roughly a year ago and no one bothered explaining just what it is. It stopped being cute very quickly. In fact, I'm willing to bet this guy is right.

Dawn Patrol said:
A lame forced meme that needs to die. The people trying to push it are pathetic.
It certainly seems accurate.

May 5, 2010
lockecole21 said:
OK, I'm sorry, I know this is just a nitpick, but I've never understood why people do this. That is, quote the OP in a post. The only two reasons to quote a person are: (1) To show that your post is a direct response to the one you're quoting, or (2) to make sure that the person you're quoting sees your post.

But if it's THEIR thread, then your post is considered a direct response to begin with, and since it's their own thread, they're obviously going to see it.

Anyway...I'm done now.

And the basement contains the world's only Kratos/Big Daddy/Giant Spider hybrid. And it is horrifying.

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
I think The Basement is kinda like the basement pool in your high school...totally existent and totally off limits.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
DragonLord Seth said:
thelonewolf266 said:
DragonLord Seth said:
It's where all the trolls and spambots are born, and all who go down there are raped in the face and forced to breed trolls, which burst from their-

(MOD EDIT) Banned for talking about The Basement.

LolJk, but yeah, DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE BASEMENT.

OffTopic, can someone link me to the Red Button?
I have it so just go on to my profile and its in my badge list.

On Topic:I personally think it contains the homeworld of the bronies, But that's just me.
I was going to say that, then decided against it, figured better to keep my mouth shut and not incur the wrath of the massive brony armies.
I fear no known equestrian form, for I am Lonewolf the Invincible.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
a ginger491 said:
I was recently reading another thread that an Escapist newcomer posted so that he could be I guess welcomed to the escapist and I read "don't go into the basement" or something along those lines at the end of a significant number of posts. I've only been an escapist since April and finding out about this new place I've never heard of intrigues me. I just want to know what the hell this thing is honestly and if such horror stories about it are true why it would even be accessible, (unless it's not.) Be serious about it or just come up with more scary rumors but I do hope to learn something about it from those of you who know of it.
Well, ASIDE from the official Escapist Basement Monster (the thing that eats some of the polls), Jimmy Hoffa, the Velvet Room, and the last words of Joseph of Aramethia...

There is Gazuga.

I put him down there for safe keeping, but unfortunately the smell off of that big ape is god-awful and he's starting to mutate the surroundings. Anyway, it's better than having him up here. Anyway, don't say the M-word or you'll wake him.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Ever seen the creepy thread? That's pretty much the easiest thing to deal with in the basement...

Seriously... just stay out

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
The basement is actually the Religion & Politics forums, which, despite its reputation as "The basement", is actually one of the best R & P forums that I have ever seen, and ought to be considered a great feature of the Escapist forums.

Come, my friends, the water's nice down here.

Although, I really wish it would stop flooding

dorkette1990

Mar 1, 2010
What's the first rule of the basement? You do not talk about the basement.
The second rule of the basement? You DO NOT talk about the basement!

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
a ginger491 said:
I was recently reading another thread that an Escapist newcomer posted so that he could be I guess welcomed to the escapist and I read "don't go into the basement" or something along those lines at the end of a significant number of posts. I've only been an escapist since April and finding out about this new place I've never heard of intrigues me. I just want to know what the hell this thing is honestly and if such horror stories about it are true why it would even be accessible, (unless it's not.) Be serious about it or just come up with more scary rumors but I do hope to learn something about it from those of you who know of it.
Are you talking about my thread? I'm in the same boat as you: I have no idea either.