What is the last book you finished, and what did you think of it?

Gorog2

May 27, 2009
Spinward fringe origins
Such a good sci-fi story with everything you need in it.
Read it for free of kindle.
read it..... READ IT NOW!!!!

Vildleder

Nov 18, 2009
'Sister Alice' by Robert Reed. A good book, not the greatest sci-fi I've ever read, but entertaining enough to make me finish the thing in a couple of days.

I'm usually good with sci-fi, but the one thing which really bugged me in this book was the authors decision to keep FTL travel impossible. Which meant that most chapters skipped a few centuries forward, disorientating me and throwing me completely off the track. It's all good when not much changes, but when 30,000 years passes from one page to the next, and completely new technological concepts have to be introduced in only a couple of paragraphs, things get rather hard to keep track off.

But a good book nonetheless, liked 'Marrow' more though.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
saintdane05 said:
"The Emperor's GIft" by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. A great introduction to the Grey Knights, but not as good as the author's last book (Void Stalker, which I hail as the greatest Warhammer 40k material ever written.)
Both on-and-off topic, the last book I read was Hammer of Daemons by Ben Counter, also about 40K Grey Knights :p

If you've read it, how similar is it to The Emperor's Gift (since I'm looking at getting it)?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
VonKlaw said:
Both on-and-off topic, the last book I read was Hammer of Daemons by Ben Counter, also about 40K Grey Knights :p

If you've read it, how similar is it to The Emperor's Gift (since I'm looking at getting it)?
Do get it. I have not read Ben Counter Grey Knights Novels, but I can tell you that it is in the first person, the main character is overcoming arrogance, and is about the events surrounding the First Armageddon War.

straymatter

May 1, 2012
John Updike's The Witches of Eastwick. It was enjoyable. I like male takes on lady-mischief.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
'The House of Silk', the ``new'' Sherlock Holmes book. In my opinion it goes a little too dark for Holmes novel, and I couldn't help thinking most of it anachronistic. It wasn't too bad though, and I have to admit it had me gripped at the end...

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
"The Jewel in the Skull" by Michael Moorcock, now moving on to "The Mad God's Amulet" (1st and 2nd book in the Hawkmoon Runestaff Saga). I mean damn can the man write some Sword n' Sorcery. Not as good as Fritz Lieber but still brilliant.

saintdane05 said:
"The Emperor's GIft" by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. A great introduction to the Grey Knights, but not as good as the author's last book (Void Stalker, which I hail as the greatest Warhammer 40k material ever written.)
Read Lord of the Night, Prospero Burns, Horus Rising or Only in Death. Your mind will change.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
saintdane05 said:
VonKlaw said:

Do get it. I have not read Ben Counter Grey Knights Novels, but I can tell you that it is in the first person, the main character is overcoming arrogance, and is about the events surrounding the First Armageddon War.
Excellent - I quite liked how Counter made them seem fairly human for oversized, stupidly strong war machines, so I'm glad that Dembski-Bowden managed to do it aswell. Looks like thats another book going on the list. :S

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
VonKlaw said:
Excellent - I quite liked how Counter made them seem fairly human for oversized, stupidly strong war machines, so I'm glad that Dembski-Bowden managed to do it aswell. Looks like thats another book going on the list. :S
That's how ADB usually works. If you read his Night Lords stuff, though... well, how gratuitous do you like your violence?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I Am Ozzy for about the tenth time. I have no idea why that book is so great but it is. I'm currently reading a Noam Chomsky Occupy book. It's both depressing and uplifting at the same time.

mlbslugger06

Sep 27, 2009
Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. It is easily in my top 5 books of all time. I generally agree with the points each character made and would definitely consider Roark a true hero in literature.

Behind that I read Philip Reeves' Mortal Engines. My cousin recommended it to me and despite being targeted for younger audiences, the world is well constructed and explained. My only complaints would be the issues of describing things with modern terminology (which doesn't make sense in the story) and an inability to properly address why certain things/words remained in use, while others did not over the passing of time.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Waitng for the Emperor's Gift to be in paperback, got Void Stalker on my floor, frankly its going to have to be pretty special to top Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver.

On topic, last one I read was The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Fantastic book and excellent end to the Dark Tower series, it's a rare book that I have to stop reading becuse I tear up, but this one did.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
A Hard Day's Knight. It's a pretty entertaining fantasy/sci fi/craziness book. If anyone's read the Nightside novels, it's one of the latest in the series. I enjoyed it purely for entertainment.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Megalodon said:
Waitng for the Emperor's Gift to be in paperback, got Void Stalker on my floor, frankly its going to have to be pretty special to top Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver.

On topic, last one I read was The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Fantastic book and excellent end to the Dark Tower series, it's a rare book that I have to stop reading becuse I tear up, but this one did.
It is. It is very, very special. In a good way.

Imagine, like, the Mass Effect 3 ending. Now imagine it without the lore rape, plot holes, and general stupidity. In other words, its nothing like Mass Effect 3.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
*pretentious snort*
Well, I just finished reading through Othello.
What did I think of it?
It's Shakespeare. What else is there to say, other than Iago is awesome.

bulldogftw

Jan 4, 2011
Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.
It was good and I have it as a two in one with Silence of the lambs so I'm currently reading that.

Moose

Feb 7, 2012
Finished reading Stalingrad by Antony Beevor last week. I'm into my military history quite a bit. I thought it was really good, if that's the right word to describe one of the bloodiest battles in human history. I bought his book about the battle of Berlin a few days ago too. Nobody spoil the ending for me, I've heard Hitler escaped on a giant unicorn but no mention of that yet.

thehermit2

Nov 1, 2009
"Rashomon and 17 Other Stories" by Ryunosuke Akutagawa and translated by Jay Rubin. Part of my project to read all the works of Japanese literature featured in the anime series "Aoi Bungaku", which adapted "the Spider's Thread" and "Hell Screen" from this collection. Akira Kurosawa's film "Rashomon" was loosely based on Akutagawa's short story by the same name as well as "In a Bamboo Grove." So far I've read "Kokoro" by Natsume Soseki and "No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai as well.

Japanese classical literature is often depressing, kind of like reading Poe or the darker works of Mark Twain.

Lekhter

Sep 8, 2009
Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King. As a long-time Dark Tower fan, i really enjoyed it. It fitted in nicely and took me back to the awesome atmosphere of the Dark Tower series. It also fleshed out a couple of things about the characters and added a bit more in terms of setting prior to the events of The Gunslinger (the first book in the series) Thoroughly pleased with King's work as always.