What is the most overrated movie of all time?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Fox12 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Fox12 said:
Also, anything by Stanley Kubrick. Almost all of his films are lesser adaptations of better novels. A Clockwork Orange missed the point of the book entirely. Same thing with the Shining. He was also a huge ass hole of a director. In the end, even his best films were usually descent films and terrible adaptations.
Fortunately, this is a thread about overrated movies, and not about personal appreciations of people we've never met and books we've never read (or did you read Red Alert, the source for Dr. Strangelove? Because that's one mediocre Cold War thriller. You also read Schnitzler's Traumnovelle? Eyes Wide Shut goes in another direction but I still find it a good adaptation). Descent (sic) films are good enough for me, if they can hold themselves on their own. I don't think a movie "owes" the book it's based on, and vice versa.
If it was an improvement then maybe I could agree with you. My issue isn't that Kubrick was a sadist, though he was, it's that his films were all lesser re-tellings of other stories. I consider that a completely valid criticism, especially when the depth and themes of a good story are completely betrayed by a poorer adaptation. Furthermore, I do consider these films overrated, as his movies are held up as the gold standard of cinema, and yet they're mostly average. A Clockwork Orange is not nearly as good as some will claim. It was overflowing with superfluous detail, characters, and nudity that not only detracted from the film, but also hurt the pacing. Parts of it were cringe worthy. He also has a tendency to make the characters FAR less complex than their literary counterparts. He's a great technical director, a perfectionist, and he's great at lining up a shot. The man knows how to frame a movie. Unfortunately none of this matters when he's producing a work that is more narratively shallow than the source material. If you haven't read the books in question then I don't know what to say.

The best film I've seen by him was 2001 a Space Odyssey. I haven't read the book in question, so I can't judge whether it was a great adaptation. It was a good movie. Maybe even a great one. That was the exception though.
From what I've read, Clarke's Odyssey novel was spun from his and Kubrick's script, and published at around the time of 2001's release. So it's not exactly an adaptation, but rather, the book is a novelization of the script that became the movie more or less at the same time. I also hear that the book is much clearer and less vague around stuff, but I wouldn't know.

Regarding the adaptation thing, I find it's the same case with Hitchcock - he was more interested in what he could do with a book than with the book's "greatness" on its own. Red Alert is your average best-selling commie thriller, outdated 10 years into its publication. Gustav Hasford's "The Short-Timers", which provided the source for Full Metal Jacket, and which I've read, is also a pretty mediocre novel. The film takes a massive downturn halfway through, but I still find it better than the book. The "bathroom scene" is so much more haunting in the film. The book is so... matter of fact.

The most criticism I've heard regarding Kubrick was that he was cold and wasn't much in touch with the human element in his movies (i.e. Jack Torrance is an asshole whose true evil is just waiting to be untapped, as opposed to being "possessed" by an outer presence). To that I can only recommend they watch Paths of Glory, which is probably his most passionate and humane film. He may not be very "viewer-friendly" on a number of counts, but I don't think it's because he wasn't able to - that's just not what he was going for most of the time.
I can see where your coming from. I don't think Kubrick's films are "bad" per se, I just thought some of them missed the point of the book. I guess my point is, in writing, you can be a good story teller and a bad writer. You can also be a good writer and a bad story teller. 1984, even though it had a really interesting premise and a good story, it did not have very good writing. Those were George Orwell's words, not mine. The same can be true for film, in a way. You can be a really good visual film maker, and line up really interesting shots, but still miss out on the themes of the story. I think Kubrick's strength was in his visual style, but not in his actual story telling ability.

Incidentally, he could be pretty inhumane towards his actors, so I wasn't saying he was a sadist because his films weren't viewer friendly. The eye scene in Clock Work Orange, for instance, was completely real. The doctor in the scene was an actual doctor, and he had to put water in the actors eyes so he wouldn't go permanently blind. Many of the actors he worked with said he was a pretty hateful person. That doesn't really have any baring on the actual quality of his films of course, but I thought I would clarify why I said that.

I do agree that a film adaptation can be better than the book though. For me, the issue is whether the theme are still there. The Lord of the Rings is my favorite film series of all time. Is it a perfect adaptation? No, but even if they had to cut out Tom Bombadil (I'm not complaining), they kept the stuff that mattered, and they stayed true to the themes of the book.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
The most criticism I've heard regarding Kubrick was that he was cold and wasn't much in touch with the human element in his movies (i.e. Jack Torrance is an asshole whose true evil is just waiting to be untapped, as opposed to being "possessed" by an outer presence). To that I can only recommend they watch Paths of Glory, which is probably his most passionate and humane film. He may not be very "viewer-friendly" on a number of counts, but I don't think it's because he wasn't able to - that's just not what he was going for most of the time.
I honestly feel that this sense of detachment in his movies is one of the biggest strengths they have. You're never viewing them through the emotions of the characters, but as a completely impartial observer. This grants them an otherworldly atmosphere. There's something incredibly overwhelming about them, like watching an enormous and intricate machine in motion. They feel inhuman, but not in a bad way, if that makes any sense.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I honestly feel that this sense of detachment in his movies is one of the biggest strengths they have. You're never viewing them through the emotions of the characters, but as a completely impartial observer. This grants them an otherworldly atmosphere. There's something incredibly overwhelming about them, like watching an enormous and intricate machine in motion. They feel inhuman, but not in a bad way, if that makes any sense.
Oh I like them too that way. It's really a matter of taste. I think it's exactly what Kubrick goes for, that otherworldliness or perceived "lack of humanity". It's not a flaw, I think he's going exactly for what we're getting.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I thought Dark Knight when I read the title. Was good, not as good as people say though

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Forrest Gump. It's dull, the plot aimlessly meanders all over the place, Gump's actions are too far-fetched for me to suspend my disbelief, and its portrayal of women is unsettling.

The only redeeming quality of the film is the battle scene. That was intense.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I'm not going to get into my hatred of the very notion of "overrated", as that could take up an entire thread of its own, but I will say I don't quite understand why Titanic is such a renowned film. It's one of the most commercially and critically successful movies of all time, and I simply cannot stand it. To me, it just felt like a forced romantic tragedy thrown onto one of the most infamous disasters in history.

I'll grant that the movie was certainly something to see. The visuals were quite impressive. The Titanic itself looked amazing and the actual scenes when it was sinking were well made. I guess I am just more into the characters in movies, and at least in my opinion, every character in this movie is annoying, unnecessary or flat-out uninteresting.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Hero of Lime said:
I'll say the Avengers, not a bad movie in any way. Yet, after seeing it, I don't understand how it got the sales and praise it did. Maybe it's because I'm not interested in super hero comics to begin with, but I was disappointed when I had gotten around to seeing it.

The Avengers gets the hype it gets because it took what would otherwise have been a group of stand alone movie franchises (the same way that Nolan's Batman and Superman Returns (well superman was SUPPOSED to be a franchise) are a part of the same world but have no continuity, and said, you know what screw that... We are going to make this a living breathing world that plays out across various main characters, main villains and main stories, and the Avengers was good... Now was it Citizen Kane? No, it didn't invent some new revolutionary movie making technique, but it did demonstrate that a film that combines a bunch of main characters from other films to create an ensemble cast, can in fact succeed on a level much higher than Freddie vs Jason or AvP.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
for me it would be any of the three stooges movies. i get physical comedy but the films are just redoing the same thing time and time again and they have dated badly
Agreed. The Three Stooges were a rip-off of the Marx Brothers and I still maintain that the vaudevillian~30's-era comedy is funnier today than anything the Stooges did.

OT: Of current generation movies, Napoleon Dynamite. I mean, seriously, there is nothing funny about that movie. However, of the years and years and years of cinematic development, I have two.

1) Citizen Kane. I get that it's a classic, and yes, it's a good movie, but I don't see what about it makes it stand head and shoulders above Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, any of the classic Hitchcock movies, Harvey, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, To Kill a Mockingbird... what is it about Citizen Kane that makes it the must-see classic movie according to film critics?

2) Night of the Living Dead. Even for the era ('68, I believe?), the effects were terribad, the dialogue was painful, and none of the characters were even remotely likeable so you didn't care when any of them died. And maybe it would have been scary in its day, but it definitely didn't stand the test of time and it's more funny than scary or even gross now.

AwesomeHatMan

Jul 24, 2012
MorganL4 said:
The Avengers gets the hype it gets because it took what would otherwise have been a group of stand alone movie franchises (the same way that Nolan's Batman and Superman Returns (well superman was SUPPOSED to be a franchise) are a part of the same world but have no continuity, and said, you know what screw that... We are going to make this a living breathing world that plays out across various main characters, main villains and main stories, and the Avengers was good... Now was it Citizen Kane? No, it didn't invent some new revolutionary movie making technique, but it did demonstrate that a film that combines a bunch of main characters from other films to create an ensemble cast, can in fact succeed on a level much higher than Freddie vs Jason or AvP.
To be honest the actual movie of the Avengers isn't that great but the idea of the films so far is amazing. Not the movies themselves, but them as a collective. Now I'm a fan of comics in a weird way... the sort that has never owned a comic in their life but watches all the animated tv shows and movies and reading through major plot summaries on Wikipedia. As far as I know the Avengers were not the well known in the general public and they are now known by everyone. I believe, or much rather hope, it is a modern Citizen Kane that redefines cinema because the idea of continuity is so cool. The Avengers has almost caught up to Bond which is insane. They really invested in this and now they have a franchise almost as big as James Bond and are already bigger than Star Wars. That is so surreal to me. I hope this really encourages others (cough DC cough Justice League plz) or even others not in the superhero genre to have a large continuity and really invest themselves in what they do because it makes so much money for them and fans love them. I hope with all my heart it is the new Citizen Kane not by changing cinematography but changing something much more important, which films get made.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Let's just call every popular movie overrated right now and call it a thread, okay?

Well then... Every movie that has ever been loved or appreciated by anyone or anything is the most disgusting overrated piece of garbage ever spawned.

There.
This. Statistically, every movie ever made has probably been considered overrated by at least one person. To be honest, the thread isn't about finding the most overrated movie out there, it's pretty much about listing whatever movie you like the least or hate the most, depending on how strong your feelings are.

So, ignoring the rather facile wording of the original topic, the movie I liked the least has to be Match Point, by Woody Allen. To be fair, I don't get how this guy is viewed as one of the United States' best "auteur" filmmakers, when all the movies he ends up producing tend to focus on an expy of himself that tries to work through its insecurities while courting women. That's coming from a guy who's seen "When Harry Met Sally", "Crimes and Misdemeanours", "The Curse of the Jade Scorpion, "Match Point" and a few more.

I still don't like the guy. It's mostly a case of being stuck with parents and friends who snag everything off of the video store's "Comedy" aisle.

Oh, yeah. Woody Allen makes comedies, alright. Comedies in the sense that seeing his overambitious and naive protagonists unravel is supposed to be tragically comic.

I don't have any patience for this kind of stuff. If I want to laugh, I'll find ways to laugh. If I want to contemplate the unfairness and complexity of life, I'll crack open Nietzsche or Plato's Republic.

Woody Allen (to me, at the very least) produces navel-gazing tripe.

Boogie Knight

Oct 17, 2011
Other people stole my thunder, but I have to wonder how someone can get nitpicky about this and that in the Dark Knight yet seem to be just fine with the core concept of a trust fund baby with a tragic past teaming up with Morgan Freeman as Black Q and Michael Cain as Classy British Snarker to solve the issues of rampant street crime and institutional corruption by beating up petty hoodlums with his bare fists and fancy toys... and ninja skillz... going head to head with an anonymous lunatic dressed like a hobo clown.

I used to bristle when things I dislike get hyped and celebrated as great accomplishments, but as I've gotten older I've learned the healing power of not giving a damn. I like what I like, I dislike what I dislike, I don't need validation from people I never met nor do I particularly care when something I loathe is popular because bland, inoffensive things are the definition of mainstream.

Rawberry101

Jan 14, 2012
This is in reply to a few people posting about Stanley Kubrick and his films. I chose not to snip because there is a lot of stuff that's already been covered. Fox12 brought up that Kubrick did a poor job adapting novels into films, and by some definitions that is completely true. From what I've read and seen, which I'd consider a fair amount, Kubrick intentionally chose not to do true adaptations. He used the stories as a form to fill with his own ideas and themes. So yes you are completely correct when you say The Shining is a bad adaptation of the book, Stephen King agrees. Just consider that it wasn't Kubrick's intention to do the film the way King would have wanted.

So if you go to watch a film of his thinking it will be a faithful adaptation you will be disappointed, which I guess happened. Sorry man, yes he ignores the themes of the book, but there are other hidden messages separate from that if you care to watch them again through a different mindset. I can understand thinking these films are bad because you think they are unfaithful adaptations, and you'd be correct. However, to say they are overrated because they don't fit what you WANTED it to be instead of what it IS is a bit unfair. Just some food for thought.

Posters Johnny Novgorod and Casual Shinji brought in some good responses as well. If you can I'd check them out.

Edited for bad grammar :/

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Pretty much every "blockbuster" with it's accompanying hype and flashiness. I might be getting cynical, but I'm firmly in the "seen it all" territory here. Even if I might actually like some of the high profile stuff, I still find it overrated...

Theflyingass

Sep 10, 2008
Boogie Knight said:
Other people stole my thunder, but I have to wonder how someone can get nitpicky about this and that in the Dark Knight yet seem to be just fine with the core concept of a trust fund baby with a tragic past teaming up with Morgan Freeman as Black Q and Michael Cain as Classy British Snarker to solve the issues of rampant street crime and institutional corruption by beating up petty hoodlums with his bare fists and fancy toys... and ninja skillz... going head to head with an anonymous lunatic dressed like a hobo clown.

I used to bristle when things I dislike get hyped and celebrated as great accomplishments, but as I've gotten older I've learned the healing power of not giving a damn. I like what I like, I dislike what I dislike, I don't need validation from people I never met nor do I particularly care when something I loathe is popular because bland, inoffensive things are the definition of mainstream.
They've had 74 years to get used to it.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Casablanca. I love me a Bogart movie (Key Largo, Big Sleep, African Queen, To Have and Have Not), but Casablanca makes me want to take a nap at my every attempt at watching it. There's nothing really "wrong" with the movie, it's just the steady pacing, the slow jazz music, the smoke filled bar, the flashbacks, just.... *yawn." I need to lie down just thinking about it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
IndomitableSam said:
Citizen Kane.

Yes, I said it. It's boring. I haven't seen it in years and have never wanted to, since. Not a fan in the slightest.
This. I don't care if it had revolutionary shots. I care about whether or not it was entertaining or at least had a good story.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
The Rocky Horror Picture Show

It's getting to be that time of year where that movie starts to crawl out of the closet and flash its pale bits on various media screens. I just don't like the movie. The plot was ridiculous, the music annoying, and the character acting just atrocious. How it's managed to gain such a cult following is beyond me. But when I mention it to anybody around me, it elects rounds of giggles and singing in off-key.

Please make it stop!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
the Eagles could've totally flown the Fellowship into Mordor (fuck that "they're a proud race" argument, they did it all the time in The Hobbit).
How about the excuse that they're carrying what is basically a magnet for "evil glowing death light that fucks up your psyche and turns you mentally insane if looked upon for too long" really high in the sky and carrying the ring like that is essentially a death sentence?

[sub][sub]just sayin'[/sub][/sub]

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Woof. The bile in this thread is actually kind of embarrassing to read. A lot of wannabe film critics in here.

I dunno, how do you qualify as "overrated"? Critically overrated? Popularly overrated? Cult overrated? What metric are we to use to determine whether or not something is "overrated"? Undeserving Academy Award winners? Blockbusters that have aged badly? What?

There are popular films that I dislike, but I don't think I'd ever call them "overrated". That implies that my rating of them is the correct one, and their popularity must be ascribed to some kind of error in judgement on the part of the masses. It's so poncy.

However, in the spirit of the thread, I shall play along. Most overrated film of all time on the Escapist is Scott Pilgrim. It's rubbish, and if you liked it that means you like rubbish.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
the Eagles could've totally flown the Fellowship into Mordor (fuck that "they're a proud race" argument, they did it all the time in The Hobbit).
How about the excuse that they're carrying what is basically a magnet for "evil glowing death light that fucks up your psyche and turns you mentally insane if looked upon for too long" really high in the sky and carrying the ring like that is essentially a death sentence?

[sub][sub]just sayin'[/sub][/sub]
I doubt they had much of a psyche to corrupt. Frodo made it to Mordor (barely), I'm sure they could've made it just fine in half that time. He'd still be carrying it anyway, it's not like they're giving it to the eagles. So they would've still needed a distraction to smuggle in the Ring, fair enough. But walking aaaaaaaall the way wasn't the best plan they could've gone with.