What is the price of your soul?

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
'Lo everyone!

I thought it would be interesting to present the following scenario to you, my fellow escapists, and see what kind of responses we could gather up!

You're dead. Boom, bang, that's the sad truth. Your death was untimely and you had barely had a taste of life.

Alas, upon your death you arrive at a round table. Sitting there is a man, dressed in black, smiling at you. He tells you that you are going to play a game of poker, and that if you win, you will be given another chance in life, and 10 future years without the fear of dying.

Of course you find that hard to believe, initially, but then you come out on top and claim your prize! Furious that he has been cheated out of a young soul, however, Death poses a deal for you;

When you return to life, to the instance before you die (thus preventing it from happening), you can have any one wish as long as it is something that is within the realm of his possibilities. Money, women (or men), fame, riches, resurrection of a loved one, talent, etc. All you have to do, is give your soul over in complete and eternal servitude to Death, upon dying again. Thrown into the deal, is also the promise of a long life.

Now, would you take that deal? And if so, what would you demand in return?

Remember, no matter what, you are still returned to life, guaranteed 10 future years.

EDIT: We are not talking about a deal with the Devil here. You will not be sent to the deepest bowels of hell to burn for eternity.

You will "only" be a slave to Death, as a sentient soul, for all of eternity.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Eh, I dont think its worth being Death's ***** for just having a long good life on earth.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Answer: Too much. Basically, unless you're actually willing to give more power than you can possibly ever throw at me for any reason, no soul-stealer may have my soul.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
I assume in this scenario, with Death and the afterlife and all, the idea of eternal afterlife exists.

In that case hell no.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I'd take Death's offer.

Then I'd find some other powerful supernatural entity to pledge my soul to, rendering myself immortal since the two won't want to risk confronting each other.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
i think being a servant of death would be quite an afterlife...i mean, death doesnt revel in human misery like satan, hes dedicated to his job; i have no problem being part of the soul collecting business in the afterlife...hell thats job security right there. i might just take him up on that offer right then and there; screw life, it overrated, lets get to the reaping!

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
I'd want a bit more info first. I mean, what exactly would serving Death entail? Also, what's the alternative? If we're talking afterlife, I'm probably doomed for hell, so serving Death sounds like a pretty good choice.

And to take a slightly Pratchett-like approach to the matter: would I be Deaths apprentice and eventually Death itself? Or at the very least get cool deathy (that's totally a word) powers?

As for what I'd ask in return, the ability to win any argument by dividing by zero in real life. Either I get an awesome power or Death has to decline and basically admit he's a powerless *****, which will make the rest of eternity much more bearable.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Immortality, eternal youth, and the ability to never get ugly.

alternatively I'd settle for the ability to turn any man of my choosing gay, and make people fall in love with me.

or maybe just a REALLY nice chocolate bar...

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
I don't know if I would even play a game of poker. Depends on how bad being dead is. Could it possibly be worse the taxes, responsilities, clueless politicians telling us how to live, etc?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
We talkin' Discworld Death or boring, traditional Death? 'Cause I'd love to work for Discworld Death.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I would take the deal. I would wish for the happiness and success for my friends. That would be worth eternity of slavery.

canadamus_prime said:
Immortality. Ha, in your face Death!
SL33TBL1ND said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ditto, just to piss him off more.
Sorry, not in the realm of possibility. Although if I were death I would make you immortal in the sense you are never forgotten.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
If I get to be the Grim Reaper and have a bad-ass costume fuck yeah! I'll enjoy my ten years and have fun scaring people!

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
crudus said:
I would take the deal. I would wish for the happiness and success for my friends. That would be worth eternity of slavery.

canadamus_prime said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
canadamus_prime said:
Sorry, not in the realm of possibility. Although if I were death I would make you immortal in the sense you are never forgotten.
Awwww! But I wanted to be a douche!

the-kitchen-slayer

Apr 16, 2008
First off, I'd gather information about service to death. If it's wandering around a city with a phone book, listing off my targets? Eh, I've pushed carts for Walmart, as long as he's paying bus fare, I'm in. If it's taking calls from heaven and hell about people cheating death, eh... Still worth it. I mean, cmon, it's the grim reaper for your boss! At least you'd get good dental.

Now, as for what I'd want, I'd want a successful business. And maybe the end of the world to come around in 10 years so I can take everyone else with me :p No, in all seriousness I'd want a gaming store of my own, and probably to actually get in a relationship that ends in a happy (not perfect, just happy) marriage. Even if divorce is in that marriage, i'd still want to at least get married and have a few kids to torment me at my store

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
canadamus_prime said:
This also leads to you getting a big HAHA by the kid from simpsons. See you would live forever. But you would age. So eventually you would grow so old you couldnt move or do anything and be stuck in one spot forever unless someone moves you etc. So that would be your hell stuck in one place not being able to move forever.