What is "True Evil"

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Wuggy said:
I don't think "true evil" exists. It's a human concept and perceptions of evil (and good for that matter) are purely subjective. It's a matter of perspective, really.
Technically "true evil" would be defined as being bad for literally everything and everyone. It's a bit hard to do, because even when killing everyone on this planet there are some animals going to be pretty happy about it.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
The sadism that nearly all criminals exhibit in some form.

True evil doesn't have to be dramatic or satanic. Adolf Hitler comes from the same equation as every inadequate blaming blacks/whites/Jews/Muslims, and rapist soldiers in the Congo get off in exactly the same way as small-time muggers. People don't like throwing around the word "evil", but evil is not distant or unusual.

Or maybe true evil is just the really fat people who go to the swimming pool then don't ever fucking swim, just float and talk and take up half of the fucking...yeah, those guys are true evil.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
secondcircle said:
Robert Ewing said:
Satan isn't evil at all really, if you go for the original Satan, and not the Gothic pop culture version- Then Satan was the lord of music, who was cast of of heaven and into hell for questioning god. That's it, nothing more! And then we damn him as the lord of all evil for having free will? Tbh, I'd say god was more evil, for damning his life to a eternity of fire and anguish for having free will.
Yeah, but then Satan decided to tempt Eve and ruin things for humanity just to spite God. If he was just trying to revenge himself on God or the other angels that'd be one thing, but he relishes in tainting humanity who are innocent of the affair.
I'm not saying Satan is crystal clear, but in the bible, Satan killed 7 people (I think) While god managed to off 2 million+. not to mention the floods. Satan is most definitely the lesser evil. And Satan tainted humans to go against god, given the evil god seems to be spreading, I'd say that wasn't evil at all.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Astoria said:
True evil is an act of evil with no real reason other then 'because I could'.
Then how about "because I wanted to"?

"Could" refers to a possibility/ capability...but "wanted" refers to volition/ autonomy/ choice. Just because you could doesn't always mean that you also wanted to.

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
Both Good and Evil don't exist, they are just ideas (which are bullet prof by the way) that a rather clever cave-man/woman came up with to stop the cave-kids hitting each other. No matter what your believe system (assuming you haven't made up one of your own), go far enough back in time and you get to a point where good, evil and morality its self did not exist, there for it is just an idea that every individual sets there own boundaries that only effect you if you allow it.

secondcircle said:
Robert Ewing said:
Satan isn't evil at all really, if you go for the original Satan, and not the Gothic pop culture version- Then Satan was the lord of music, who was cast of of heaven and into hell for questioning god. That's it, nothing more! And then we damn him as the lord of all evil for having free will? Tbh, I'd say god was more evil, for damning his life to a eternity of fire and anguish for having free will.
Yeah, but then Satan decided to tempt Eve and ruin things for humanity just to spite God. If he was just trying to revenge himself on God or the other angels that'd be one thing, but he relishes in tainting humanity who are innocent of the affair.
I agree with Robert Ewing completely, I someone has free will their going to exercise it, any one who try's to stop this is a fascist dictator (yes in this case this includes god).

To secondcircle: God ruined things for humanity,1. before Adam and Eve ate the apples they had no concept of right or wrong (something god conveniently deprived them of).
2. God made a tree called 'THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE'(insert dramatic music here), told them not to eat from it and then put it on their front door.
3. God was the one that did the punishing, he could have just punished A&E (leave their unborn kids out of it) but instead choice to punish all of us, you know that teacher who gives everyone detention because one kid spoke out of turn, same thing.
4. The actions of the devil actually liberated humanity, in Eden we where essentially lobotomized creatures, blindly following the orders of someone who CLAIMS to be the ultimate good and APPARENTLY has the authority to rule us, after 'the fall' we where given the gift of choice.

If god was the first thing in the universe how can he/she be good, it is logicically impossible.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
I do believe there is good and evil. Though I do mostly believe most people are in the grey area. But people who murder/rape/sell people as slaves are the "monsters" we were told about. These people don't care for their fellow humans and would probably sell off their own family to save their own hide.

I don't care what anyone about "good and evil arn't real." when someone would risk their life to save another that is good in my opinion. And I mean they do it for no reason then just to save a life. They don't want anything in return. Though there nothing wrong with getting something in saving someone life, but still that was not the point.

Evil is someone who, like a lot of people said, do things for the sheer pleasure of hurting others. Like the guy who bash the baby head in because "He didn't want it." Please tell me how this guy isn't evil? He kill a baby just because he didn't want it. He didn't give up for adaption which sounds like the right thing to do. But anyways its opinion what people think. I just think its a bit naive to think there is no good or evil when there is a lot of examples of these things happen.

Also just to say, I do believe in 2nd chances and redemption but only if the person feel absolute regret for what he/she done.

Haelium

Jan 18, 2011
AdamG3691 said:
Haelium said:
Mr.Numbers said:
viranimus said:
Angerwing said:
Rape is one of the few crimes with literally no justification.
Sorry, but if you can justify murder, you can justify rape.
Please, go ahead, try.
Let's say you had just invaded a country, and the soldiers wanted to rape the Dictator. Or maybe just the dictators wife who had many opportunities to kill the dictator.

Or Bankers who move assets to their wives so they cannot be seized by the state. I think it would be OK to rape those men and women.
"I'm going to rape you because you didn't kill your husband" ?
If he was committing genocide yeah. "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing."

Jan 27, 2011
....giygas from earthbound.

That's about the closest thing to pure evil that I can imagine. He's no longer really physical. He's an unstoppable force of pure malice and insanity that wants nothing less than to turn all reality into a hellish living nightmare of death.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
FabiotheTurtle said:
Nouw said:
The forces of Chaos!

Oh wait! *Looks at Chaotic Evil.
I'd say your Avatar kinda qualifies
Oh delicious irony :D

My avatar is the mascot of Megadeth, known as Vic Rattlehead. He embodies the saying "Hear no evil, see no evil, do no evil."

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
secondcircle said:
Robert Ewing said:
Actually, not even all Christians are fully set on the idea that it was Satan as a snake that Eve met in the garden, or even that Lucifer and Satan are even the same person. Satan is a title ("the opposer"), no less, not a name. Also, from the story perspective, becoming less ignorant by learning of good and evil is arguably better than if they had simply allowed themselves to remain ignorant under God's command forever - Never becoming anything more than blissful lab rats; pets.

OT: No such thing as "True Evil", frankly. No human being alive considers themselves "evil", as anything "truly" evil does not stop to ask itself if it is evil. There are only good actions, and harmful actions in this world in the end. "Good" and "Evil" with capital letters are loaded, religious terms in the end.

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
A "Truely Evil" person will doing the following.
Birth: Strangle mother and doctor with umbilical cord.
Age 5: Piss in sippy cups at preschool or kindergarten.
Early teens: Fire crackers in school lockers.
18 to 21: Slash a few tires, cut some breaks, and throw a few molotov cocktails.
Adulthood: This mofo now has his own evil lair, army, and technology.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
All evil that is evil is true evil. That is, the dark intent which follows through with a wicked act - any kind - is evil, and they must all be true evil because the intent was malevolent in nature.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
In the words of Carolinus, the Green Wizard of Nature's Realm, "...good would be totally impotent without the contrast of evil."

So yea, if it wasn't for evil happening, we wouldn't see any goodness in the world. And vice versa, of course...

Mr.Numbers

Jan 15, 2011
viranimus said:
Mr.Numbers said:
viranimus said:
Angerwing said:
Rape is one of the few crimes with literally no justification.
Sorry, but if you can justify murder, you can justify rape.
Please, go ahead, try.

...................../sigh

Really? You took it to mean I was justifying rape, when common sense would tell you that its saying you cant justify murder either.

If I had more time to play with I might be compelled to play devils advocate just to further discussion, but I have only been lingering around here because I sort of anticipated someone would misread my statement.

But no.. theres no justification for rape or murder.
Actually murder can be justifiable in that the removal of a certain person from society would improve it. Killing a serial killer, serial rapist, terrorist before he can pull the trigger etc.

Rape can't be justified in any way as there is no situation in which rape can help someone, or better society.

Raping a serial killer would, I dunno, make the problem worse rather than better for example.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
Good and evil are just subjective cultural constructs. True evil doesn't exist. It's all subjective.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Manji187 said:
Astoria said:
True evil is an act of evil with no real reason other then 'because I could'.
Then how about "because I wanted to"?

"Could" refers to a possibility/ capability...but "wanted" refers to volition/ autonomy/ choice. Just because you could doesn't always mean that you also wanted to.
The fact that this hypothetical person did this evil act, just because they could do it, means that they wanted to. The want is implied. Common sense should tell you this.