What is with the asian\indian men obsession with white women?

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Stg said:
My ex is Asian and she absolutely hates Asian men. She prefers only white guys and refuses to date any other race.

Just a preference. You can never specify a generalized stereotype - it will always come out sounding racist/bigoted/sexist/etc.
Absolutely hating Asian men is just a preference?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Dansen said:
Fox12 said:
My big question is what is Japans obsession with a woman who can cook? Seriously, every anime I've seen involves a woman cooking a boxed lunch for her crush. Persona 3 built an entire social link around learning how to cook (snore). Persona 4 used it as a recurring joke. Most countries dropped the whole "the way to a mans heart is through his stomach" bit in the 50's. It's not even about gender stereotypes, I just think it's weird.
What is really weird and creepy is how often the "girl can't cook but the guy can" gag appears in anime. Its funny the first few times depending on the characters, but it gets old real fast. Its always this big embarrassing secret for the girl but then the guy is like a master chef and shows the girl how cooking is really done. This may or may not be the intent but after a while the gag seems to disparage women who can't cook by showing it to be something easy for men to do. Men who shouldn't have to learn to cook and who you want to feed for some reason.
Maybe it's just part of the whole waifu culture that I don't get, as far as anime goes. It's sweet to grab someone a coke from a machine, or to carry someones bags, but having a female character stand at the table nervously while some douche judges her cooking is just... really strange to me. And more then a little degrading. Damn, son, learn to pack your own damn lunch. That girl is not your mommy.

I'll just chuck it in with bathhouse scenes for "creepy anime cliche's that I don't understand."

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I don't really have a racial preference - they're all beautiful to me - but I sure seemed to have better luck with races other than mine. At this point I almost kind of wonder why white people bother dating each other at all, lol.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
Fox12 said:
Maybe it's just part of the whole waifu culture that I don't get, as far as anime goes. It's sweet to grab someone a coke from a machine, or to carry someones bags, but having a female character stand at the table nervously while some douche judges her cooking is just... really strange to me. And more then a little degrading. Damn, son, learn to pack your own damn lunch. That girl is not your mommy.

I'll just chuck it in with bathhouse scenes for "creepy anime cliche's that I don't understand."
This is only my opinion from what I read somewhere years back, so my memory is really fuzzy on this. For those who know better please correct me on this.

From what I understand, this is due to the Japanese traditional culture where once a woman is married, they are expected to quit their jobs and be a full time housewife. So cooking skills are very important to them because if you can't cook, then don't be surprised if your husband ends up having affairs or being divorced outright. Also not very relevant, but I also read that if the husband comes home with another woman not only is she expected to serve them, she is also expected to prepare sleeping arrangements for her husband and the woman.

I don't think this happens nowadays though (maybe), but the stereotype still lives on in anime to enforce the character stereotype.

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
I lived in China for two years, met my wife (chinese native) there, married her, moved back to the states. Been married for 6 years now.

A lot of the chinese guys I talked to there about the subject would pretty much always say something along the lines of "American women are more open."

That had a couple of, um, connotations. On one hand some meant that they were free spirited and more lively. It's not really a secret that in asian societies they prefer a more docile female. But younger guys seemed to buck that trend.

On the other hand "more open" was also code for "slut". It is not uncommon to meet a 25 year old virgin over there. It's rarer to find someone that age that has actually had sex. Their school lives are so busy, college is a little easier, but their parents still demand a lot of shit out of them.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I like how people are rightly pointing out that sexual preference is not a prejudice. This is an important distinction to make. However, the OP is talking about a widespread trend noticed among a large case study of people. I think that is what the thread was meant to be about.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
Vault101 said:
there are alot of reasons/layers in regards to all those stereotypes

..well they can be,I think the main thing though is for westerners there's this specific stereotype of asain woman being docile and "nice"

whereas in America there's an unfortunate stereotype against black women being agressive/obnoxious/ghetto/unconventionally attractive to the point where black guys going for white women because of perceived status/white woman being "nice" is a thing (uggghh I hated typing that)

and if I recall amongst saaaay japanease men I think there was a sterotype that white western women were "loose"

point being across many different ethnicities we all have different prejudices ans stereotypes at play, cause people are complicated, race is complicated
Western men are also seen as "nice" by Japanese women, or at least so I am told. I sense a trend in that department.

It's as if stereotypes exist for a reason...
Oh no... recursive stereotypes! The next generation will be predominantly Asian-Americans. They'll have all the robotronic discipline of an Asian, and the deep burning desire to own land and people of a White person! Who can save us from these amoral Ubermensch?!?

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
white guy who grew up with and dated alot of asian girls here and i can tell you i had parents basically begging me to bang their daughters.
got to ask a few girls and parents and the general consensus was that asian guys are scummy would-be criminals and white guys are hard working and honest which is laughable really since i spent that period taking drugs, never studying and banging everyone's daughters and half the asian guys i grew up with are now doctors and lawyers.

There is a really attractive indian lady at my work and every time i mention that to my fellow employees the reaction is always the same "yeah she is pretty good for an idian". no she is pretty good for fucking anyone. she is 10x hotter than your wife and you would carve out your left testicle to be with her if she was just a couple of shades whiter....
I swear australia is more racist than nazi era germany sometimes.

R.K. Meades

Oct 1, 2014
A few of my relatives have had bad experiences with Indian desperados. Fortunately, mentioning a Jewish background tends to inspire a newfound reluctance to pursue the matter further.

manic_depressive13 said:
Do you think short men would be considered so unattractive if not for how height ties in to our cultural perception of masculinity?
If you have a commanding presence - solid posture, elocution, and personality - you could stand four feet tall in shoes and still elicit a lot of positive attention. Being able to defend yourself definitely helps.

Boris Goodenough said:
Western men are also seen as "nice" by Japanese women, or at least so I am told.
You aren't wrong. A big contributing factor is the belief that men from Western nations will be more willing to assist with daily tasks around the home-- many a foreigner in Japan will go there with the opposite in mind! In the case of Britons, there is also this hilarious notion that British men are 'gentlemen.' (well-dressed, well-mannered, and well-spoken)

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Fox12 said:
Most countries dropped the whole "the way to a mans heart is through his stomach" bit in the 50's. It's not even about gender stereotypes, I just think it's weird.
Speaking as a man, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, using other routes might get your knife stuck in his ribcage and that's all kinds of bother you don't need. Honestly people, CIRCUMVENT the ribcage by attacking the stomach first and pushing upwards towards the heart...

...don't know nothing about anything you lot...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Harkinator said:
Fox12 said:
Most countries dropped the whole "the way to a mans heart is through his stomach" bit in the 50's. It's not even about gender stereotypes, I just think it's weird.
Speaking as a man, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, using other routes might get your knife stuck in his ribcage and that's all kinds of bother you don't need. Honestly people, CIRCUMVENT the ribcage by attacking the stomach first and pushing upwards towards the heart...

...don't know nothing about anything you lot...
Except in vampire movies, when you can poke a guy's chest with a pointy stick and it'll end up straight in the heart.

Netscape said:
thaluikhain said:
heroofheroin said:
I said that in jest. I'm sure it's true for a few asian\indian bros out there, but I doubt it for most.
If someone won't 'settle for nothing less than a white woman'...yeahthat looks to be pretty racist there.
How is their personal taste "racist?"
Because they've expressed it as WoC being "less" and something to avoid "settling for".

Arshaq13

Jun 9, 2012
As an Indian, I don't think we have an obsession with white women. If anything, the majority of India have an obsession with their cultural values from the place they come from. Also yes, sexism is a gigantic problem within a majority of Indian societies. There is a clear divide between the ideologies of the current young adult generation of Indians compared to the generations of their fathers and mothers(note, not applicable to every Indian family obviously).

HOWEVER, there is this thing where 'fairer' skin is looked at as more as being more attractive. Historically, you can attribute that to the kind of thinking towards an idea where people with clearer or fairer skin come from wealthy and respected families. Everyone knows the Mughals bathed in milk to get clearer and whiter skin.
Rural India, still respects the ancient and archaic caste system we have, in the sense that now, castes are seen as communities rather than just nobility. Marriage for a majority of Indians is decided by the family rather than the one who wants to be married. In India, marriages are have a bigger place in society than arguably any other place in the world. It's a chance to earn more money, respect, power, a very vague sense nobility and above all, see that their family name is not tarnished in front of their communities.

HOWEVER! While people want to remain in their own communities, A dalit(essentially the lowest rung of the caste system) would much rather marry into a brahmin(the highest in the caste system) family rather than stay a dalit. Brahmins are typically considered to have fair skin. So there you go. So basically, it's all about maintaining an image in front of others. Fairer skin is considered to be a trait of nobility, wealth and the like. Image and power projection is almost everything in Indian culture despite what people may have you believe.

For example: I come from a Muslim family from a state in India called Kerala. People of Kerala are called Malayali's. My parents are pretty open, they know I drink, smoke occasionally and have a fair-skinned Tamil Hindu girlfriend for years now (only my mom knows I'm agnostic though). However, my parents want me to marry a muslim. HOWEVER, not just any muslim, but a muslim from Kerala and not just any muslim from Kerala, but a family that's within our community or very well known to our community within Kerala(still the best parents in the world tho'). In India, the idea is that families marry, not the bride or groom. Same is true for a good chunk of Indian families out there.

Tl;dr : It's not entirely racism, it's more about stereotypical perceptions of class, wealth and beauty that's heavily ingrained in our culture. For if you have all that, your skin color really doesn't matter. That being said, I know a lot more 'hotter' men and women of darker skinned Indians than I do of fairer skinned Indians. And well, Indians, when they're hot, they're some of the hottest men or women you will ever see in your life. (Silly Patriotism ftw!) :p

I know it's too long and could be boring, but I hope that answers your question.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Vault101 said:
and if I recall amongst saaaay japanease men I think there was a sterotype that white western women were "loose"
There is a tendency in all cultures globally to paint their women as virtuous and other cultures women as having loose morals.

Over in China the common image of the white western women is a floozy, particularly if she's blonde (because blondes might as well be aliens in the far east, hair that isn't black? Impossible!). My brief stays in Dubai have been coloured (haha) by the very public perception that all white men are sex pests and all white women are whores, God help the asian woman dating an arabic or white man.

Over here, well, I'm sure you can list off all the stereotypes us westerners have for those easterners.

At a less social level, breeding with someone from the other side of the planet ensures the best possible genetic diversity for the offspring. From an evolutionary stand point it makes perfect sense that members of a species to find mates with diverging genetic traits attractive.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I always considered India to be part of Asia, but anyway. Asians (including Indians) outnumber Caucasians. They are the normals, and we are the exotics.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Boris Goodenough said:
But why aren't other "races"/ethnicities represented in these obsesions?
I haven't a clue. (traditional) Asian characteristics just seem to hold way more attraction to men. I myself am not completely unphased by it either.

I know it's seen as racism, but certain ethnicities are simply seen as generally more attractive (due to them being seen as exotic). Just as certain accents are seen as more attractive. I tend to find women from India more attractive, and have kind of a thing for Russian and Belgian accents. Is that racist? Maybe, but physical attraction is a very selfish thing and doesn't really care about equality.
Why should it be racist to be more attracted to a person with a certain body feature you like. When it isn't racist to be more attracted to people with blue eyes or red hair or even a certain breast size, it shouldn't be racist to be more attracted to people with a black/brown skin color or a certain eye shape.
These are all just body features after all and having a preferance for one doesn't mean you have an irrational hatred towards the other ones.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
manic_depressive13 said:
People have little control over their fear impulse too, but if someone is only scared of black people, they tend to be considered racist.
Phobias notwithstanding, fears very often derive from misinformation or misapprehension. They are calls of conscious judgement to a degree inapplicable to romantic feelings, I would argue.

As a counterpoint; the vast majority of people prefer one sex to the other, romantically and sexually. Does that make these people sexists? Are bisexuals the only true egalitarians?

Chris Moses

Nov 22, 2013
Me and my boyfriend have had extensive arguments over the fact that while he is Hispanic, he doesn't typically like other Hispanic men. At first I called him a racist, but that doesn't really fit, because he loves his culture and heritage. We finally settled on a term we both agreed with, "sexual bias". It seems to work as it adequately describes the fact that the person is picky when it comes to who they want sexual/romantic relationships with, but allows for the fact that they are not necessarily prejudiced about "those people" outside of the bedroom.

OT: I have no idea... I am more of an equal opportunist, though I lean more towards other Caucasians. I am Caucasian as well. There are 2 ethnicities that I have the most trouble finding men whom I find attractive. They are Indian and Australian Aborigine. I hold no grudge or negative judgment towards them, but that is my own "sexual bias".

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I knew a lovely girl who grew up in South Africa, and all of her friends and boyfriends were African American. She only wanted black guys. You can't help what you find attractive.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
From what I understand men are more attracted to women who look unfamiliar to them. Its like a biological reproductive thing. When we actually had to worry about survival as a species men were geared to spread that seed to as many different women as possible. Women are more geared to be attracted to men that look familiar to them because it represents stability and safety. Obviously people are not all the same so you can save the "but im not like that" please. That is why indian men are attracted to white women, white men are attracted to asian women etc. There are also some cultural things that can play into it. Darker skin is tied to being a worker or less well off where as fair skin says you don't have to work in fields things like that.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
As someone who is Asian, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I have no preference over the color of women. Then again, I have no preference over women or men in general as I'm asexual and aromantic so maybe I'm not the best person to ask here. But even among my extended family, I rarely see any of my cousins date or marry non-Asian people. So I still don't see this at all.