What is your AOTY?

Arcobalen

Aug 17, 2011
The year isn't over yet, so I suppose it could change later on, but mine would have to be Busdriver's Perfect Hair.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
AOTY? I'm a little behind on my acronyms. We're talking album of the year, yes? If that's the case, it'd have to be Lights' Little Machines.

Because, y'know, it's Lights. And Lights is amazing.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Marter said:
We're talking album of the year, yes?
Perhaps it's our Adventure of the Year? :D
If that's the case...I have a riveting tale about a college student who goes to his classes, plays video games, and loves to eat. Truly, the tale we will tell our children throughout the ages alongside classics such as The Odyssey and Beowulf.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Adventure of the year? I drove to work on Remembrance Day. DROVE.TO.WORK.
Alcohol of the year? Smithwick's [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithwick%27s].
Album of the year? Deadlock's The Re-Arrival [https://play.google.com/music/listen#/album//Deadlock/The+Re-Arrival+(Extended+Version)].

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
My album of the year has to be Bloom and Breathe by Gates. That album just blew me away completely.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
Angry snip
And why have you not shown me this band?! That was awesome!

Well, this year was kinda meh for albums. Only two were really good and I can't really decide between them.

First would be Runes by Bury Tomorrow. A band I've been overlooking for a long while, I'm glad I became a fan on this album. Great vocals, from both cleans and screams, and I love the lyrics. This band went from unknown into one of my top ten bands easily.

Next would be, Crown the Empire's new album, The Resistance: Rise of the Runaways. Which lived up to the hype I created for it. They learned what guitar solos are and are trying to make the band more than just good vocals. The final conclusion to the Johnny Ringo saga is just amazing.

Shoutout: Architects' Lost Forever // Lost Together,

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
It's either Tengger Cavalry's Ancient Call or Vader's Tibi et Igni. I'll probably give it to the former.

I've been a huge fan of Tengger Cavalry ever since I first heard the debut album Blood Sacrifice Shaman in 2011. Since then I've been watching the band grow over the course of several albums with Ancient Call obviously being the latest. They play a kind of blackened folk metal, just with Mongolian elements instead of the more usual European ones. Great stuff, and the new album is the best one since the debut.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Yes, I'm boring:
Wolfmother - New_Crown:
More of the same, but in a good way.

Lily Allen - Sheezus:
Solid album, though the lead single was probably the worst track. XD

Jack White - Lazaretto_(album):
Still not sure how I feel about this. I like it, but I don't like that it's not a new The White Stripes album instead.

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Mandatory_Fun:
One of the best things he's released in YEARS.

The Offspring - Summer_Nationals_(EP):
Kind of a cheat, only three songs that are all covers, but I still dig it.

Imogen Heap - Sparks:
I love her music, even this one went a bit too off the rails for me at times.

Karen O - Crush_Songs:
Short songs, nice vocals, a nice treat between a (hopefully soon) new YYYs album.

Train - Bulletproof_Picasso:
One of the better albums, again with the lead single being one of the worst tracks...I don't get it.

Ozzy Osbourne - Memoirs_of_a_Madman_(album):
Totally a cheat, but it's been FOUR FUCKING YEARS, and I dig how well the track listing for this was.

Robbie Williams - Under_the_Radar_Volume_1:
There's a reason why this album is selling so well, despite being self released, it's a totally love letter to the fans.
Nothing edgy, just an album that 'gets' the fan base and is more than willing to play to it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm going AOTY as Animation Of The Year which would goes to Gravity Fall. I would of said Over The Garden Wall or Legend of Korra but so far the episodes in season 2 has been fantastic in both development and comedy!

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
Prince - 'Art Official Age'.

Came for the lame title, stayed for the sick beats.

Has anyone else here heard it? Y'all wanna exchange notes?

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
Adventure of the year? Wolf among us!
Ant of the year? A few months ago I watched a small ant pulling a giant bumblebee around. She's so awesome!
Alcohol of the year? I discovered a new local brewery "Bürgerbräu". Really good beer!
Alliteration of the year? Walter walked wearily while wondering where Wally was.
Album of the year? Oh boy... none, because I don't what has been released this year.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
There were loads of great albums released this year, however my favourite would have to be Casualties of Cool.

Other albums I enjoyed this year:

Anaal Nathrakh - Desideratum
Separatist - Motionless/Closure
Neil Cicierega - Mouth Sounds/Mouth Silence
Devin Townsend Project - Sky Blue
Behemoth - The Satanist
Tuomas Holopainen - The Life and Times of Scrooge
Equilibrium - Erdentempel
Saor - Aura
Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

(yes there's a lot of metal there, uhh... I seemed to overlooked most other genres this year)

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Ancestor of the Year?
Not sure... how long back is an ancestor in this case, it didn't say in the OP.
Was on my grandmothers mothers funeral in the summer, so maybe her!

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Oh.. I thought this was supposed to be Anime of the Year, Which would totally have to be Denki-Gai... or maybe Gugure Kokkiri-san
... [small]or Joker, or Hi-scool Seha girls...[/small]

Damn. There was a lot of good anime this season. didn't even know albums still existed in this age of itunes

My ATLUS game of the year was definitely Persona Q, even if they tried their hardest to make Teddie look like a twat, and Naoto is OP as shit.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Actor of the year? Benedict Cumberbatch is getting pretty high up there on the Hollywood radar and an Oscar nomination would be pretty swell, I think. Chris Pratt too, though I seriously doubt GotG would be nominated for any actor awards. Still, he gained prominence. Rightfully deserved too. That guy is a real dreamboat.

Oh. Wrong acronym? Excuse me.

At the top, the album of the year for me is an even tie between Aphex Twin's Syro and Alt-J's This Is All Yours. Honorable mentions to Interpol's El Pintor and Venetian Snares' My Love Is a Bulldozer (gotta maintain that hipster cred)

2014 didn't live up to 2013, IMO. The number of albums I actually liked this year can be counted on two hands. 2013? There was probably thirty, at least.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Baffle said:
Arsehole of the Year? Gove. Or maybe, no, it's Gove.
Don't let's be crude, please. It's so uncalled for during Christ History Month.

OT: My favourite Argonaut was Jason. No surprise there, I'm sure, but he was the best and beardest.