What is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Final Fantasy 8.

No other Final Fantasy caught my attention close to what this did, I have no idea why but I thought the journalist character Laguna Loire was the most badass of all.
Probably something to do with Desperado being awesome.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
I liked FF IV for its battle system and characters. Even though the plot wasn't all that special.
I liked FF VI for its mature story and variation in spells and skills. Even though not every character was equally useful or developed.
I liked FF VII for its materia system. Even though there were quite a few exploitation techniques, the plot had a few holes and there was a lack of move-based individuality.
I liked FF VIII for its grandeur. Even though the junction system was one of the more paradoxical systems ever, the plot had holes, there were many exploitation techniques, there was a lack of move-based individuality and equipment had changed from clothing and weapons to magic and GFs
I liked FF X for its stat management and equipment system. Even if the game was slow at times and had an annoying protagonist.
I liked FF X-2 for its battle system and huge amount of moves. Even if the graphics were a total re-hash, the music sucked and the story was a mess.
I liked FF XII for its lore and expansive world. Even if the story was weak and there was hardly any character exposition or development.

But my favorite is still FF IX, since it did so many things right right, without any notable faults. It has the strongest female cast in any FF ever (I believe even in any game ever), it has an amazing lore and story filled with original hi-fantasy elements and a great visual representation of it. Plus, it has the best Chocobo mini-game in any FF ever. It also has a soundtrack that scores both in quantity as in quality. The only complaints I could have, is that the battle and load-out mechanics aren't as original as the past few games. On the other hand, despite not being "revolutionary", it was very solid, something you can't say about every FF title. Also, the design of the characters (a bit of a chibi-influence) isn't always on par with Yoshitaka Amano's original vision, but the end result is still amazing. I really like the variety and the likability of the cast.

Also, the card game, what was up with that? Sure, they made Triple Triad insanely overpowered in FF VIII, creating one of the biggest exploitation techniques ever. But when the card game returns in FF IX as Tetra Master, it's completely useless. There is just nothing to earn with it. Talk about unbalanced.