What is your Favorite Location In Skyrim?

Jake Wentworth

Jun 8, 2010
Since Skyrim's been out for a while i've played over a hundred hours and I've loved every second of it. My favorite moments are when you can just look around at the scenery and enjoy that this game looks AMAZING! My personal favorite location is outside the door to the Dawnstar Dark Brotherhood hidout and looking up at the moon over the mountains. What's yours?

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I like the place with all the hot springs and geysers. Generally every around Riften is stunning in complete sunlight.

Paul

Aug 21, 2009
I love Markarth. The architecture is my favorite of any environment I've encountered in the game yet, and I want to buy Vlindrel Hall in the city since it seems like a worthy purchase. Unfortunately though, the bug with it means I can't, so I am hoping it is addressed in a patch.

Standing outside Vlindrel Hall and looking down to the city below is something that makes me really happy about the game design. Markarth reminds me a little of Fallout 3's Megaton with the different tiers of the city, but it's a much more elegant looking city.

I haven't yet looked out from the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary but the next time I'm at it I'm going to remember to take a look, since I imagine the environment will be fantastic looking. Markarth remains my favorite location in Skyrim at the moment but if I see something really amazing it could be topped.

Joolzz

Jan 8, 2012
High Hrothgar. Fascinated by the architecture and the way it's clear it's been affected by the harsh cold environment.

galaktar

Nov 16, 2011
Blackreach. I didn't want to leave because of the colors...and probably because of all the shroom goobers in the air. Unleashing the centurions on the other hapless inhabitants was fun too.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Sadly, I have some trouble divorcing my opinion of scenery from my opinion of the people inhabiting it. I'd probably like Riften a lot, if it didn't seem always covered in shadow, and Markarth...well, even if the architecture didn't make me vaguely nervous, way, way too many bad memories about the place. >_>

Overall, though...I probably gotta say Riverwood. It's a pleasant area in a river-cut canyon between the mountains, footpaths everywhere and close by the rocky hills of Whiterun (especially near Silent Moons and Halted Stream bandit camps, which I also like), and it's below the snowline.

Second would probably be Morthal; man, I wish I could buy a house there.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I loved Frostflow Lighthouse. It had absolutely fantastic environmental storytelling. It was also where I first encountered the Chaurus and Falmer, which was perfect as an introduction.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
galaktar said:
Blackreach. I didn't want to leave because of the colors...and probably because of all the shroom goobers in the air. Unleashing the centurions on the other hapless inhabitants was fun too.
Pretty much this. I walked around for a few hours down there just staring at teh awesum.

I also really loved (insert forgotten place name here). With the giant waterfall and just beautiful overall setup, I thought the place was just stunningly awesome. I really wish I could remember what it was called. I know that a really big forsworn camp is there, and at the top there is a dragon word of power, in front of which two hagravens were creating a briarheart, which I actually snuck up on and watched because it was really cool. It had this giant plank sticking out over the waterfall (marked on the map) called Bard's Leap or something like that. I jumped off for lolz, and I got an interesting reward for doing so. xD

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
The Wilderness around Markarth is my favorite area. I've always had a thing for swamps/marshes and there's also the huge waterfalls and all that eerie fog.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
I don't remember where, but it's at some dragon's roost and when you look up the scenery of the sky is amazing, so many colours and patterns.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Blackreach or The Throat of the World
one is an awesome underground city, the other is a mountain with a bro dragon on it
decisions decisions...

Mar 30, 2010
Paul said:
I love Markarth. The architecture is my favorite of any environment I've encountered in the game yet, and I want to buy Vlindrel Hall in the city since it seems like a worthy purchase. Unfortunately though, the bug with it means I can't, so I am hoping it is addressed in a patch.

Standing outside Vlindrel Hall and looking down to the city below is something that makes me really happy about the game design. Markarth reminds me a little of Fallout 3's Megaton with the different tiers of the city, but it's a much more elegant looking city.

I haven't yet looked out from the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary but the next time I'm at it I'm going to remember to take a look, since I imagine the environment will be fantastic looking. Markarth remains my favorite location in Skyrim at the moment but if I see something really amazing it could be topped.
Which bug is that? Two of my characters live in Vlindrel Hall.

OT: Blackreach, Markarth and Riverwood get my votes for favourite places. Blackreach because it's the dungeon delve of a lifetime, Markarth because of the architecture and because for some strange reason it puts me in mind of Minas Tirith, and Riverwood because when I first arrived there I just looked around and thought "this is a nice little place".

Dr.Helios

Mar 31, 2010
Fleetfiend said:
galaktar said:
Pretty much this. I walked around for a few hours down there just staring at teh awesum.

I also really loved (insert forgotten place name here). With the giant waterfall and just beautiful overall setup, I thought the place was just stunningly awesome. I really wish I could remember what it was called. I know that a really big forsworn camp is there, and at the top there is a dragon word of power, in front of which two hagravens were creating a briarheart, which I actually snuck up on and watched because it was really cool. It had this giant plank sticking out over the waterfall (marked on the map) called Bard's Leap or something like that. I jumped off for lolz, and I got an interesting reward for doing so. xD
Bard's Leap :D

My favorite place so far would have to be Jorvaskarr, I love the feeling of togetherness in there, the overturned longship with a fire pit, leading out to the skyforge is just fantastic.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I like Windhelm. Reminds me of "a christmas carol" or something lol. I like the architecture of that city the best. None of Skyrim's cities can hold a candle to Balmora and Sadrith Mora from Morrowind though.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Sovngarde. The sky is eerie and appropriate, the dragonbone bridge, hall of heroes etc, all awesome.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Paul said:

Are you playing on PC? If so I know how to fix the Vlindrel Hall glitch.

Though in honesty I was underwhelmed with the Markarth home. There doesn't really seem to be a perfect place. Proudspire Manor and Hjerim are my favorites, but they are in such bad locations, and Whiterun's Breezehome has one of the crappier interiors. When the creation kit comes out, I'm building a huge tower in the middle of the map with an attached questline, the prize at the end being the best home you could possibly have . . enchanting\alchemy tables, 10 mannequins or more, a few dozen weapon racks and stands . . . it'll be a dreamhome.

Sorry, got carried away there.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Solitude is pretty nice. It's got wonderful architecture and weather, one of the best homes out there . . it's just a shame it's all the way in the corner of the map.

Grimfolse

Feb 28, 2011
I'm gonna say Markarth as well. That place just has a really nice design. A pain to navigate, but great to look at.