What is your Favorite Location In Skyrim?

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Okay - Go to Solitude, the Front Gate, on the Outside. Now go East toward the Marshes. Youll find a Boat or two or three, in a River between the Marsh and Solitude. Swim just accross from the Boat to the Marsh. Look at Solitude and admire the Cliff.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Jake Wentworth said:
What's yours?
Whiterun. It's a peaceful place despite all those tensions, civil war and unrest. The place is nice, people too, the placement is very inviting...

...but let me tell you about Markarth and Riften. My hatred towards those places or, rather towards their rulers and some inhabitants knows no bounds. I feel literally dirty by walking on their roads. Awrrrrrrr...

Mar 30, 2010
Paul said:
Thyunda said:
THERE'S A BUG WITH VLINDREL HALL?!
If you're looking to buy it, you can't speak to Raerek with anything less than the money needed to buy it (8,000 Gold), and you need to buy it right there and then. You also cannot have completed "No One Escapes from Cidhna Mine". With that, I've made sure to do both and render the house probably broken forever, unless a patch arrives which sorts it out and accepts the five or more missions I did to become Thane.
I spent ages trying to buy that bloody house, doing a bucket load of quests (including Cindha Mine) to try and earn the Jarl's favour, but nothing was doing. Eventually I got bored and went off to do other things, including completing the main quest. I reckon the game itself contains a fix for this bug, as I now live in Vlindrel Hall...

At one point in the main quest you are called on to broker a peace treaty between the Empire and the Stormcloaks (if you've stayed neutral and not joined either the Empire or Stormcloaks). I allowed the Stormcloaks to take control of Markarth from the Empire, in exchange for Riften and payments for warcrimes. When I got back to Markarth the old Jarl (and Raerek) had been replaced by a Stormcloak nobleman, Silver-blood. As I had gotten him made Jarl he offered me the house straight away, and his steward sold it to me no problem. I'm currently toying with the idea of joining the Empire and retaking Markarth just to get the old Jarl and Raerek back, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

So yeah I'd say the bug is with Raerek himself, not Vlindrel Hall.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Hmm, quite possibly The Reach. It reminded me of the gulleys area outside Vergen in The Witcher 2, an area which I just loved. So that would certainly be one. Another that stands out to me would be the forest of Falkreath hold, simply because it is like a dense, pine forest which is cool.

Skyrim actually had quite an impressive variety of different environments which is a relief, since I was thinking it was all going to be plains upon plains of snow.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Paul said:
Thyunda said:
THERE'S A BUG WITH VLINDREL HALL?!
If you're looking to buy it, you can't speak to Raerek with anything less than the money needed to buy it (8,000 Gold), and you need to buy it right there and then. You also cannot have completed "No One Escapes from Cidhna Mine". With that, I've made sure to do both and render the house probably broken forever, unless a patch arrives which sorts it out and accepts the five or more missions I did to become Thane.
Oh. Thank God, I've already bought it. Not sure if I did it before Cidhna Mine or not though...though I can't imagine having the money the first time I spoke to Raerek. I was never very good at having money.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
endtherapture said:
I like the place with all the hot springs and geysers. Generally every around Riften is stunning in complete sunlight.
JoesshittyOs said:
The forest around Riften. Looks beautiful and warm.
This. I don't know why more people haven't mentioned it! More specifically the area south of Riften for me though. The golden leaved silver birch trees and overall warm glow that the place has in low light is simply stunning. Probably because Autumn is my favourite season and that place is perpetual Autumn.

I HATED the actual town of Riften when I started. I thought it was full of thieves and petty criminals, since everyone I spoke to seemed to try and recruit me for some sort of wicked deal. My character doesn't do that sort of thing. But after some digging I found most of the people there are decent and the crooked types are in the minority. Now Mjoll is my constant adventuring companion and my home is there too. Plus there's a wide variety of traders in close proximity to each other which means quick selling without even entering a single building! Convenient! Even if Grumpy Grelka is no doubt using the funds for less than honourable pursuits.

DustyDrB said:
That was your first run-in with Chaurus as well? I remember I was just wandering the area and I saw this lonely little lighthouse, so I decided to drop in and check it out. Then there was that body and the creepy notes on the floor where you enter. And that clicking. Then you read about the clicking.

I'm glad someone else loved it. I don't hear many people talking about it, so I was just a weird person who likes something everyone else finds boring.
I too enjoyed this place! The whole thing was genuinely creepy and had me on edge the whole time, something I don't really get all that often from Skyrim. I was tense when I picked the lock to the basement, even though I already had an idea what was down there. I actually felt really sorry for the people that had lived there. It wasn't my first encounter with the Chaurus but it was about the most intense, those things are pretty tough in large numbers.

Yggdraz0r

Jun 7, 2009
Fleetfiend said:
galaktar said:
Blackreach. I didn't want to leave because of the colors...and probably because of all the shroom goobers in the air. Unleashing the centurions on the other hapless inhabitants was fun too.
Pretty much this. I walked around for a few hours down there just staring at teh awesum.

I also really loved (insert forgotten place name here). With the giant waterfall and just beautiful overall setup, I thought the place was just stunningly awesome. I really wish I could remember what it was called. I know that a really big forsworn camp is there, and at the top there is a dragon word of power, in front of which two hagravens were creating a briarheart, which I actually snuck up on and watched because it was really cool. It had this giant plank sticking out over the waterfall (marked on the map) called Bard's Leap or something like that. I jumped off for lolz, and I got an interesting reward for doing so. xD
This <3. I went to that place once because It wasn't on my map yet. So when I got there I was amazed by the awesome scenery. After that I strolled around clearing that camp. I saw that wall of power and I just had to go there. Unknowingly I walked forward to my doom, as 2 hargravens and a briarheart start blasting me with really powerfull magic :(. I ran. SO HARD.

The camp is called Lost Valley Redoubt <3.

haveanicelife

Jan 9, 2012
JoesshittyOs said:
The forest around Riften. Looks beautiful and warm. Also that one area where it gives you a Gandalf Leap of faith.

Edit: I believe this is appropriate

Yes! This moment was brilliant when I stumbled across it (the massive drop). Also Eldergleam Sanctuary is probably one of my favourite places in Skyrim, certainly one of the prettiest areas.

Paul

Aug 21, 2009
Thyunda said:
Oh. Thank God, I've already bought it. Not sure if I did it before Cidhna Mine or not though...though I can't imagine having the money the first time I spoke to Raerek. I was never very good at having money.
As is typical of my luck, I didn't buy it before going off to Cidhna Mine. Now, I check the UESP wiki non-stop for information in case I might glitch something else otherwise.

galaktar

Nov 16, 2011
Fleetfiend said:
galaktar said:
Blackreach. I didn't want to leave because of the colors...and probably because of all the shroom goobers in the air. Unleashing the centurions on the other hapless inhabitants was fun too.
Pretty much this. I walked around for a few hours down there just staring at teh awesum.

I also really loved (insert forgotten place name here). With the giant waterfall and just beautiful overall setup, I thought the place was just stunningly awesome. I really wish I could remember what it was called. I know that a really big forsworn camp is there, and at the top there is a dragon word of power, in front of which two hagravens were creating a briarheart, which I actually snuck up on and watched because it was really cool. It had this giant plank sticking out over the waterfall (marked on the map) called Bard's Leap or something like that. I jumped off for lolz, and I got an interesting reward for doing so. xD
Ha, the bards jump. Did not see that coming.

galaktar

Nov 16, 2011
haveanicelife said:
JoesshittyOs said:
The forest around Riften. Looks beautiful and warm. Also that one area where it gives you a Gandalf Leap of faith.

Edit: I believe this is appropriate

Yes! This moment was brilliant when I stumbled across it (the massive drop). Also Eldergleam Sanctuary is probably one of my favourite places in Skyrim, certainly one of the prettiest areas.
...realizing that there is still a whole lot that I haven't seen yet.