What is your favorite obscure Anime?

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
No Dragon Balls, no Orange Ninjas, no ...whatever the fuck Inuyasha is supposed to be - I want to hear about good Anime that I've never heard of.

I'll start. Recently a friend introduced me to a series called "Claymore". This. Is. Awesome. It's about a group of Warrior Women that basically are turned into inhuman fighting machines in order to destroy monsters that feed on human guts known as "Yoma", for a nominal fee.

The art is great, the story is compelling, the characters are interesting, and it doesn't overstay its welcome at a clean 26 episodes. I rarely hear people talk about this anime, but it is easily one of my all time favorites.

So, got any good obscure anime recommendations?

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
ARIA
Bounen no Xam'd (Xam'd: Lost Memories)
I've never heard ANYONE talk about xam'd despite it being awesome and made by Bones so you KNOW it's awesome.
Aria is a good show to watch inbetween your other shows, if it doesn't bore you. It's full of scenery pr0n.
Never heard of Zetsubou being talked about either. Even though it's full of japanese-society-commentary-win.

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
Zipang for a newer anime and Ninja Robots for an older.
I do realized how stupid the second one sounds and it's probably due to the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia that I pick it out but it was an awesome anime that I used to watch as a kid, that I've NEVER heard anyone talk about. Also Zipang is a really interesting take on the movie Final Countdown movie where a state of the art Japanese cruiser gets sent back in time to the Battle of Midway. What with it being a Japanese cruiser the plot is rather interesting and I recommend anyone to watch it.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
slopeslider said:
ARIA
Aria is a good show to watch inbetween your other shows, if it doesn't bore you. It's full of scenery pr0n.
while aria is (as far as i know) not that obscure it's a nice relaxing anime which you sometimes need
hmm Seto no Hanayome it's a nice humor anime

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
AcacianLeaves said:
No Dragon Balls, no Orange Ninjas, no ...whatever the fuck Inuyasha is supposed to be - I want to hear about good Anime that I've never heard of.

I'll start. Recently a friend introduced me to a series called "Claymore". This. Is. Awesome. It's about a group of Warrior Women that basically are turned into inhuman fighting machines in order to destroy monsters that feed on human guts known as "Yoma", for a nominal fee.

The art is great, the story is compelling, the characters are interesting, and it doesn't overstay its welcome at a clean 26 episodes. I rarely hear people talk about this anime, but it is easily one of my all time favorites.

So, got any good obscure anime recommendations?
Read the manga after the anime, still ongoing and only updated monthly but where the anime leaves off to its own ending the manga gets even more compelling.

On topic not sure if Berserk is exactly obscure less than mainstream sure but it has a cult following, failing that uhh Outlaw Star maybe?

Cyanide19

Nov 19, 2009
I've got Claymore on my "to watch" list of anime.
"Planetes" i guess is pretty obscure, hardly ever hear anyone talk about it. its a good space anime that works in some interesting views on human psychology of people in space towards the end.
I know its part of the popular series or universe but i really liked "Gundam 08th MS team". who doesn't enjoy the occasional mecha anime

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Nmil-ek said:
On topic not sure if Berserk is exactly obscure less than mainstream sure but it has a cult following, failing that uhh Outlaw Star maybe?
Berserk is amazing. Before the place I used to read the scanlations at took them all down, it was my favourite manga, even more so than Naruto and Bleach.

Gantz is up there for obscure I guess. They made 26 episodes before cutting it loose like a turd and buggering the ending, but the mangas still going strong I think.

outbreak21093

May 2, 2008
hmm... Yuria 100 Shiki if manga count... and Tora Dora as an anime

Edit: i find it funny that i have heard of nearly all of these

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Clementine

Les mystérieuses cités d'or

They are old. THey were awesome.
THe first one was more or less marketted as kid-friendly... but the way i remember it, it was brutal.
Mysterious cities of gold was just full of awesome.

steampunk42

Nov 18, 2009
Priest.....nothing beats the Japanese trying to make a western comic about a clergymen mowing down legions of the living-impaired with a Thompson

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
I wanted to say ''Dragon Ball'', then i read what you said and i'm still saying Dragon Ball.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
I think VanDread is pretty obscure, but I could be wrong. If it isn't, then I've probably not watched any really obscure animes at all...

Sigel

Jul 6, 2009
Baccano. I just recently discovered it and I think it is amazing!

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Elfen Lied
Negima!?
Midori no Hibi
Air Gear
Gantz
Hand Maid May
K-ON!
Karin - was I the only one who liked this show? It was charming...
School Rumble
Tenjou Tenge
I could go on but I'll leave it at that, I currently have 1.3TB of anime on my computer.