What is your favorite OLD PC game?

John Smyth

Jul 3, 2009
This thread made me feel old some of these still feel like recent releases.
I like doom, still play it, and most of the others mentioned are each treasures in their own right

Fallingwater

Mar 20, 2009
My favourite old game also happens to be the one I consider the best ever made: Unreal. I've still to find a better game.
An even older one, and one that holds a special place in my heart as the first serious game I played, is Mechwarrior 2. It had its fair share of problems and rather simple graphics, but I had a lot of fun with it, and occasionally still play it.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
onkeldanny said:
The grim fandango, but damn xp won't let me play it
Have you tried Compatibility Mode? Or if it's older, DosBox?

redmarine said:
Speed Freaks.

No. Just no. That game was made of suck, the controls were absolutely awful.
Now Crash Team Racing on the other hand... now there was a good game.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
The wait is over. In your hot little hands, you hold the biggest, baddest Doom ever - DOOM II: Hell on Earth! This time, the entire forces of the netherworld have overrun Earth. To save her, you must descend into the stygian depths of Hell itself!
Battle mightier, nastier, deadlier demons and monsters. Use more powerful weapons. Survive more mind-blowing explosions and more of the bloodiest, fiercest, most awesome blastfest ever!
The 3-D modelling and texture bit-mapping technologies push the envelope out to the max. The graphics, animation, sound effects and gameplay are so virtually realistic, they're unbelievable!
I played Lemmings on an Archimedes, so it doesn't count.

Hexen tops Doom II. Is original Quake old enough to count?

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Anyone remember a game called Realms of the Haunting? That is fairly high on my list (though Descent 2 is my absolute favourite).

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2
Mega Lo Mania
Cannon Fodder
The Secret of Monkey Island

Yep... there are plenty more I could list but these I will still pick up and play now.

Martster

Rated EC-10 Condemned
Mar 17, 2010
Doom is pretty much the game that made me a gamer so I'd have to say that it is my favourite

I really enjoyed Duke Nukem as well

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
System shock

I remember exploring citadel station and thinking 'I would have loved to have visited this place before everything went wrong'

Xaki

Sep 9, 2009
Doom was great, made for many late and great nights.
I did however spend lots of time playing Police Quest and Hugo's House of Horrors back in the day.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
early nineties i was only a wee lass who did not know of the awesomeness of pc gaming but in the late nineties the one i enjoyed the most is roller coaster tycoon also it is fun making death parks

also starcraft!

Egg

Feb 20, 2009
Suprised it hasn't been mentioned Ski Free!!!

Loved Transport Tycoon,loved making massive intricate train networks. Probably why I enjoy routing cables today.

As a kid, I was scared of the intro screen to Populous. So loud and scary 8-bit music

Mar 30, 2010
My all time favourite would have to be Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. This game was my first introduction to RPG style computer games, and I've been hooked on them ever since.

Never completed it though.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
You know that 10-15 years ago is the late 90s right so in that case i'd go for:
Donald Duck in Cold Shadow gets and honorable mention.