What is your favorite opening line of a book?

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
The best one I can think of right now is the one for Blood Rites(Book 6 of the Dresden Files).

"The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault."

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
"In the middle of the journey of our life
I found myself in a dark wood,
for the straight way was lost."
- The Divine Comedy​

Granted, not all are read exactly the same. Differing translations n' whatnot.

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
"No woman will ever satisfy me." From Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
William S. Burroughs had a bunch of good ones. Unfortunately I don't have them on me and can't remember them well enough to quote them.

Edit: Naked Lunch

I can feel the heat closing in, feel them out there making their moves, setting up their devil doll stool pigeons, crooning over my spoon and dropper I throw away at Washington Square Station, vault a turnstile and two flights down the iron stairs, catch an uptown A train?Young, good looking , crew cut Ivy League advertising exec type fruit holds the door back for me

PaulaG

Jun 16, 2009
From "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld

"The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit"

Now if that isn't a one hell of a hook, I don't know what is!

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
"When a day that you happen to know is Wednesday starts off by sounding like Sunday, there is something seriously wrong somwhere."

- The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham.

Pocket Nerd

May 21, 2009
"It was hot, the night we burned Chrome."

From "Burning Chrome," a short story by William Gibson. (Okay, I cheated a bit, since it's not really a novel.)

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Valiance said:
It was a pleasure to burn.

Fahrenheit 451
That is such a great book.

OT: Mine would be...

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking Thirteen." - Nineteen Eighty Four.

Or

"The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling. Ah wis jist sitting thair, focusing oan the telly, tryin no tae notice the ****. He wis bringing me doon." - Trainspotting.

ThatTallGuy

Jul 24, 2009
It is a truth universally accepted that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains. - Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

"Call me Ishmael." - Moby Dick.

Blondi3

Sep 12, 2008
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose...

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
Here are a couple I like...

From The Book of General Ignorance, Stephen Fry's foreword is pretty good.
'People sometimes accuse me of knowing a lot. "Stephen," they say, "you know a lot".' (Pretty typical Stephen Fry, really)

From A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
'What's it going to be then, ey?'
There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, Dim being really dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar making up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening, a flip dark chill winter bastard through dry.

I read A Clockwork Orange before seeing the movie, but I very nearly didn't after reading that line. All I could thing was 'what in the bloody hell did that mean??!!'

MAGNUSavage

Dec 10, 2008
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
by Stephen King