What is your favorite racing game?

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
JohnnyDelRay said:
srm79 said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
I'd like to get F1 2012, played F1 2010 for quite a while but held of on F1 2011 because of the reported bugginess/framerate issues on PS3, anyone know if this has been fixed? Maybe I should just get F1 2012
Sorry for the consecutive post, but I'm too damn melted to feck about with edits...

F1 2012 looks pretty good, but I am going to wait until it's released and the fan feedback starts to paint a clearer picture. F1 2011 was much better after the patch (although not without some pretty big flaws) but some of the display issues never went away for some apparently - something to do with certain types of TV or somesuch. Codies are bigging it up obviously, and it does look like the business but once bitten, twice shy and all that. If the AI and penalty/safety car system are still broken, then I'm not going near it. Probably. Maybe. But I do love F1...dammit!
Thanks for input, hope I don't go too far off-topic. Might wait for a bit more fan feedback in that case, because I love F1 as well and don't want to go for the wrong one just yet. One of my friends said I should just go for F1 Championship Edition instead, I think I only tried that once in a demo with a controller, seemed nice graphics and effects but don't know about the driving much. I Love F1 as well, just hope one of them is the solid, tight, game I'm looking for with all the tracks and car setup, moreso than graphics and presentation, can play GT5 for that, at least on PS3.
If you already have F1 2010 there's no real reason to recommend F1 Championship Edition.

For a start, it's so old that Michael Schumacher wins lots of races, and there are recognisable fag ads on the cars (albeit the "sanitised" European versions)!

Because of it's age, the rules are just different enough to confuse the hell out of someone depending on how long they've followed the sport. To anyone who is new to F1, the idea of tactical refuelling during a Grand Prix or running only one type of tyre for the entire weekend will be things they won't know a great deal about. And the scoring system will seem a little weird too.

Lastly, the weather engine is broken. Actually it's an AI flaw, but you can't win a dry/wet or a wet/dry race (or any combination thereof). You can win a dry race and you can win a wet race, but if you have dynamic weather on and the conditions change then you're stuffed. The AI is able to adjust it's wing angle to change the downforce levels during a pit stop. Unfortunately, the devs forgot to give the player the same ability. Basically as soon as the weather changes, the AI will adjust their setup to suit the conditions. The player will be stuck with the "wrong" setup, and you can basically forget any result.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
srm79 said:
Arina Love said:
Gran Turismo 5. i just can't get enough of it. i play it pretty much everyday since release. Not much just few timed laps on random track and couple practice laps on THE Ring so i don't get rusty. Recently released Twin Ring Motegi DLC sucked me in for 4 hours.
THIS! I fire up GT5 from time to time, and just hop on to a track day lobby and blast in a few laps in whatever takes my fancy that day. I'm especially feeling the love for Spa-Francorchamps at the moment for some reason...
hahaha yeah after watching Spa-Francorchamps F1 race i immediately turned on GT5 and gone for few SPA laps in Ferrari F1 :D

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Burnout Revenge is a good, mostly racing game. Never played anything but the Paradise demo.

Driver: San Francisco is a good driving game in general.

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
srm79 said:
Still playing F1 2011 and still have a lot of love for Gran Turismo 5. The WRC series are far better rally games than Dirt for the purist, and I even have NASCAR in my collection (unusually for a European). So yeah, I like my racing to be rooted firmly in the real world.

I never could come to love "kart" stylee games or arcade racers. They're fun, and I do play Need For Speed and Burnout in short bursts from time to time. They just never hold my attention the way a game with a more "sim" feel to it can. I think that puts me firmly in the minority of a minority on The Escapist...
I feel the same way. My driving and flying games are firmly rooted in Sim territory.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Great to see some love for racing games, especially with Psygnosis and Blackrock shutting down recently...

Anyway!

Wip3out
Burnout: Paradise
NFS8:MW
Re-volt
Split/Second

karcentric

Dec 28, 2011
Without meaning to offend anyone, I don't view Mario Kart as a racing game.

My choice is the Forza series, can't wait for Horizon.

smudgey

May 8, 2008
JohnnyDelRay said:
srm79 said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
I'd like to get F1 2012, played F1 2010 for quite a while but held of on F1 2011 because of the reported bugginess/framerate issues on PS3, anyone know if this has been fixed? Maybe I should just get F1 2012
Sorry for the consecutive post, but I'm too damn melted to feck about with edits...

F1 2012 looks pretty good, but I am going to wait until it's released and the fan feedback starts to paint a clearer picture. F1 2011 was much better after the patch (although not without some pretty big flaws) but some of the display issues never went away for some apparently - something to do with certain types of TV or somesuch. Codies are bigging it up obviously, and it does look like the business but once bitten, twice shy and all that. If the AI and penalty/safety car system are still broken, then I'm not going near it. Probably. Maybe. But I do love F1...dammit!
Thanks for input, hope I don't go too far off-topic. Might wait for a bit more fan feedback in that case, because I love F1 as well and don't want to go for the wrong one just yet. One of my friends said I should just go for F1 Championship Edition instead, I think I only tried that once in a demo with a controller, seemed nice graphics and effects but don't know about the driving much. I Love F1 as well, just hope one of them is the solid, tight, game I'm looking for with all the tracks and car setup, moreso than graphics and presentation, can play GT5 for that, at least on PS3.
Looks like there's gonna be a demo for F1 2012, i'm a big fan of the series but i'll still try before i buy. [link]http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f1_2012/news/f1_2012_demo_will_be_released_around_september_14.html[/link]

Back on topic! Favourite racing games:

F1 series (codemasters)
F1 World Grand Prix
Grand Prix Circuit
.... yeah, pretty much anything F1. And Wave Race 64.

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
F-Zero GX for the Gamecube.

I usually dislike racing games except some kart games like Mario Kart and especially Crash Team Racing considering my nostalgia soft spot for Crash Bandicoot. But upon playing F-Zero GX, I fell in love with it. It has a very important thing for a racing game: a true feeling of speed. You reach speeds of over 1500 MPH and man does it feel like it! No to mention the just right amount of challenge, no rubber-banding, customization, and kick-ass soundtrack. This is the only racing game that I can seriously play just about whenever.

I don't know what it is, but maybe for me "realistic" racing games are simply too boring for me. I need one with a more fantastical setting to keep it interesting.

I never played F-Zero 64 but the original F-Zero on the SNES also oozed style and that's saying a lot for a SNES game.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
I'm one of the few who have played and enjoyed Pyroblazer. It is a beautiful 3D racing game.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Can't even play it anymore. Damn thing was an MMO, but I've never seen detailed, component-by-component car tuning like that before or since... A little fine-tuning, an expanded scope (beyond just American V8s) and some added realism (not all small blocks by one manufacturer take the same sized head, for instance), and it could have truly been the only racing game for gearheads.

RIP Motor City Online.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Forza 2 and 3 are great. Not sure if it counts but Driver SF was great.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I was really good at Mario Cart Double Dash back in the day.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Arina Love said:
srm79 said:
Arina Love said:
Gran Turismo 5. i just can't get enough of it. i play it pretty much everyday since release. Not much just few timed laps on random track and couple practice laps on THE Ring so i don't get rusty. Recently released Twin Ring Motegi DLC sucked me in for 4 hours.
THIS! I fire up GT5 from time to time, and just hop on to a track day lobby and blast in a few laps in whatever takes my fancy that day. I'm especially feeling the love for Spa-Francorchamps at the moment for some reason...
hahaha yeah after watching Spa-Francorchamps F1 race i immediately turned on GT5 and gone for few SPA laps in Ferrari F1 :D
One of these days I will get round to grabbing the F1 cars - the only Ferrari cars I don't have in my GT5 garage yet!

falcon1985 said:
I feel the same way. My driving and flying games are firmly rooted in Sim territory.
Join the club - PMDG, LDS, Wilco, and a particular soft spot for IL2 :)

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
While I have plenty of sims (Race 07, Gran Prix Legends, F1 2011) I'm just not a great driver, while the recent F1 games scale very nicely I still prefer tin tops and rally. I would say Dirt 3 but for Sir Derpsalot the irritating voiceover guy. Mine is split between Dirt 2 and NFS:Shift for nice balance of sim and arcade with skinner box progression in Shift. Grid looks good but has iffy wheel support.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
F-Zero GX, even though I still haven't mastered it on harder difficulties (because of nausea inducing AI rubberbanding), also Trackmania (if that even counts)

crooky

Mar 13, 2011
GT1
GT2
GT3 (Notice a pattern yet?)
GT4
GT5 (Maybe not as much as the others but I think the fun is more online now which is harder to achieve.)

Burnout 2
Forza Series (excluding 1 and 4 as I've not got into them yet.)
Mario Kart Double Dash (Underrated game that's far better than MK Wii IMO.)
Mario Kart DS
GRID
Road Trip Adventure
Project Gotham Racing 3
Ridge Racer PSP
Ridge Racer Type 4

If I had to choose one it'd have to be GT2. Where else can you drive a Renault Espace people carrier with an F1 engine screaming in the back against Mini's, Toyota GT-One's, Ford Ka's, Aston Martin DB6 etc

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
srm79 said:
Arina Love said:
srm79 said:
Arina Love said:
One of these days I will get round to grabbing the F1 cars - the only Ferrari cars I don't have in my GT5 garage yet!

falcon1985 said:
Join the club - PMDG, LDS, Wilco, and a particular soft spot for IL2 :)
IL2 does tend to swallow up allot of my time. Especially the pacific fighters edition.

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
Mario Kart for sure. Whether is on the 64 or the Wii. I havent played any of the handheld versions, but its awesome regardless.

Also fond of the Burnout:Revenge series. I think I played 2 quite a bit. Really fun games.

Paladin2905

Sep 1, 2011
Pole Position baby! No racing game ever will compete with plunking down quarters in the local Pizza Hut back when I was five.

Also, Mario Kart 64; the timeless generator of thrown controllers and new and fantastic curses.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
Probably track mania. It had a lot of variation and the user made content doesn't hurt.

I'm not one for racing games, but TM comes the closest I've come to liking racing games.