What is your favorite video game of all time?

Martin Yao

Jun 19, 2012
For me, it's Final Fantasy VIII and Red Alert 2. These 2 games have practically been my childhood (with Red Alert being the first game i ever played, been in love with RTS since).

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Persona 4.
Fell in love with the town of Inaba, its characters and even strangeness of what goes on in there.
Second place is Portal 2 followed by Ghost Trick, my two favorite puzzle games.

fuzz

Aug 27, 2012
My favourite would be Okami. It's just such an epic adventure, everytime I thought 'oh its going to end soon' a new area opened up filled with great characters and fantastic music. I'm eagerly awaiting the hd remaster this October.

Other favourites; Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4, Demon's/Dark Souls, Oblivion, Deus Ex HR and Bioshock.

Ventilator89

Jun 25, 2011
Kotor 2
(shut up! I just adore it =p)
I find that I get really attached for the main character. The whole story is so damn personal. It's not like the games that are like "Get the 7 gems of dragxon to defeat the evil baddy lord dude who rescues kittens from trees then eats them for breakfast." And there is real development to the character.
It's so nice to have a game that lets you just be grey, and not have to be a saint.
I could go on and on... And on... And on...

Oh, and dragon age origins.
That game story is epic, It just is too bloody Grindy. Sad face. Oh, and graphics just suck. I wouldn't even mind kotor graphics instead of those graphics.

Elgnirp100

Jan 18, 2012
Shadow of the Colossus

I only got it recently in the ICO and SoTC HD Collection, but it almost instantly became my favourite game

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
It would probably be Deus Ex. Amazing game for it's time, still much better than most modern titles. An engine that has aged well enough not to get in the way of the game (it's not pretty, but it wasn't that good looking even when it launched. But it's 100% functional even today.)

It's basically one of the games that I play once in a while to remind myself why I'm a gamer. Good mechanics, great story, lots of depth and exploration (I must have finished the game 6 times at the very least and many more partial play-throughs, and I still find something new every time)

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
Kinda of a bland title to list, but my all time game is Sims 2.

Of course, I have plenty of other games I adore and love, all ranking very close. But when it boils down to selecting a winner I will always go with the game that I can play over and over (even now that it's dated) and still as much as I did when it was first released.

Other list toppers...

Resident Evil Remake on the Gamecube

Xenosaga Episode I

Timesplitters: Future Perfect.

Commander CC

Apr 1, 2009
Baldurs Gate 2 with the expansion, and these days a few mods that I consider essential comprise my favourite gaming experience ever.

I enjoy a lot of other games, as I'm sure we all do, but it's always slightly in the back of my mind that "this is good...but its not BG2". Then I re-install.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
I posted this in another thread, but it applies to this one as well and I could never really voice 'why' again as well as I did that time, so here's a shameless cut-and-paste as to why my favorite game of all time is Final Fantasy X-2.

Before I play Final Fantasy X-2, I have to prepare. I have to plan in advance to set entire weekends aside just for this game. I have to make myself a nice hot cup of sweet, sweet coffee. I have to take a long, hot bath. I have to wear something loose-fitting and comfortable. I have to wrap up in blankets with the massive strategy guide set across my thighs. I've never ritualized a game before or since Final Fantasy X-2, and so many people have asked me "why the hell? Of all the games in the world, why Final Fantasy X-2?" The answer is because I've never, not even once, played a game that elicited every single positive emotional reaction I can think of, except this one. This is the only game that has made me laugh, cry, laugh until I cry, cry until I laugh, place my hands over my mouth in shock and surprise, place my hands over my heart and say "d'awwwww", thrust my arms upward and cheer with satisfaction, and truly feel at peace. I could talk about the combat, which I still think is the best in any J-RPG. I could talk about the amusing dialogue and cast of appealing characters spearheaded by the most believable female Japan has ever written. I could talk about the endless wealth of things to do, the clutch of fun minigames, the sense of wonder as I uncovered all sorts of new and exciting things, but the most important thing about Final Fantasy X-2 is that no matter what, if it's in my PS2 and I'm playing it, I'm always smiling. There is never a moment that is frustrating, never a moment that is tedious, never a "oh god, I have to do this part again?!" part. It dispenses happiness from eye-catching start to heartwarming finish and beyond, never once missing a beat. We're living in cynical times, and anything that can be relied upon to make me feel good no matter what is something to be treasured. I will always treasure Final Fantasy X-2.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Saints Row 2, without a doubt. I love the open world genre. The customization, the story, the races (especially the plane races), everything about that game I just loved. And every game of that genre I play I compare with SR2. As in, "Sleeping Dogs is a pretty good game, but it's no SR2". Or "Saints Row the 3rd is a steaming pile of dog excrement compared to SR2". And so on. I'm still waiting for the game that beats SR2 for pure fun and great story telling.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
Its a tie between fallout 3 and red dead redemption.

Fallout 3 because I love the post apocalyptic and fallout 3 hit that sweet spot for me of having a great open world experience but not being very buggy.

Red dead redemption because rockstar is one of my favorite developers and I love westerns.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
CrashBang said:
Final Fantasy IX.
FF IX is the most complete and perfect game for me. It has an astoundingly beautiful soundtrack, and wonderfully detailed and executed world filled with wonders and excitement. It is beautifully rendered with great aesthetics and character models. It's characters are well-ranged and hugely lovable. The story has amazing pacing and some great twists and turns.

I've played through it countless times and never get bored of it.
I fucking love Final Fantasy IX.
That is pretty much both my favorite Final Fantasy game AND my favorite JRPG. FFIX forever!