What is Your Favourite Sound Effect From Any Game?

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I have a special place in my heat saved for the ring sound of Sonic the Hedgehog 1.

Memorieeeeees.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Morrowind has horrible sounds, on the whole, but the environmental soundscapes have some real gems in them. Silt striders and bull netches calling in the Ashlands, or the rumbling gears beneath the floors of a Dwemer ruin.

Half-Life's cityscape soundscapes are also great. I think someone made a blog post just about them. But the absolute best sounds in that game come from the Combine robots. So emotive and full of character.

But to be honest, I get the most pleasure from hearing the snap, crackle, pop of rifle rounds breaking the sound barrier over my head in ArmA 2.

Kanova

Oct 26, 2011
maturin said:
Morrowind has horrible sounds, on the whole, but the environmental soundscapes have some real gems in them. Silt striders and bull netches calling in the Ashlands, or the rumbling gears beneath the floors of a Dwemer ruin.
Agreed. I really liked it when I first played Morrowind, it was so majestic, then you see the Strider and it lets our that moan or whatever. Mmm, also, yeah the gears in the ruins.

tipp6353

Oct 7, 2009
KapnKerfuffle said:
JemothSkarii said:
Though it's also a real life sound, the 'ping' of an M1 Garand when you empty a clip.
yeah, that was a German soldiers favorite sound as well.
Yeah after they stick their heads up its a different story. the American soldiers would ping it just for them to get their heads up and mow them down with tommy guns..

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
The satisfying sound of a plasmagranade attaching itself to an opponent's face, and then detonating in halo reach.
"WAAAAAAA-""Boom"

columbianbacon

Dec 6, 2009
maturin said:
Half-Life's cityscape soundscapes are also great. I think someone made a blog post just about them. But the absolute best sounds in that game come from the Combine robots. So emotive and full of character.
Exactly. The best thing New Vegas did was the ambient sounds, many which have been pulled fromt he original Fallout games. It adds presence of a greater environment beyond what you can see, and it all the better for it.

Freakzooi

Mar 27, 2009
"Halt! Ein verletzte!"

Then followed by "Alarm Alarm!"

Hated that sound then, but simply loved that game, kudos if you know which one it is;)

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Either the Ps3 trophy sound or the victory theme.

I've even got the victory theme as my message tone.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Valagetti said:
Whenever I finish a section from L4D2, the generic rock is so... generic, but its to do with Skinners box theory. Most of these posts I'll predict will be about something to do with any random sound made and that will be part of the reward process.
When you finish a campaign section on highest difficulty, that becomes the single most relaxing and rewarding sound in the world.

OT: Mine would probably have to be the sound of the Squad Cannon from Killzone 1. I bloody loved that game, dispite it's flaws, namely because it had both kickass combat and even more kickass weapons, and the Squad Cannon was the most kickass of them all for me.