What is your gamer stereotype breaking hobby?

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
I'm a digital artist. I have a 1 year old, a fiance and a busy social life. Some of these may be against the typical gamer persona.

GroovySpecs

Feb 23, 2013
I'm not sure if this counts as stereotype breaking but I'm an on-off triathlete. The training is very intense and you need to step it up before you actually undertake a full triathalon so I have to consider my workload and decide when I can realalistically put the effort into preparing, but i try to undertake at least one full triathalon per year.

titankore said:
I own koi, and enjoy just as much time watching my little fishies swimming around the pond as I do playing video games. For a lot of people the idea of a gamer enjoying such a peaceful hobby is an exception rather than common place. So fellow escapsists, what are some of your favorite things besides gaming that people don't expect of gamers?

Here are some of my newer koi
Love your fish by the way!

DBLT4P

Jul 23, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Well if people consider gamers shy/unsocial/awkward/whatever I'm a stand up comedian although honestly we're some of the nerdiest people alive.
Dude seriously... a truthier truth has never been spoken, my little brother even has a stand-up station on pandora!

Me? (a person who has collectively spent over 1100 hours on the pokemon series as a whole (about 250 or so hours a game) and IIRC 24 days of WoW playtime on my DK main and started playing a month after vanilla was released...before I quit shortly after cataclysm)

I am a diehard NY Rangers fan, I TiVo and watch just about every game.

I'm a pretty badass snowboarder, IIDSSMS

I'm a decent painter (although most of it is Warhammer 40k so that probably doesn't count)

I shoot trap pretty well (the shout PULL! vaporize the little clay disc kind)

Wrestled in Highschool (now a theater major in college so go figure)

work construction during the summers and ride a motorcycle

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Well, I'm hanging out with my girlfriend right now. Is having a girlfriend a hobby? Though she is playing on her 3DS right now.........

Other than that, I'm in a band that's well-liked in our local scene as well as Florida. That's something I guess.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
I play Guitar, Bass Guitar, and Alto Saxophone. I can also draw fairly well, and am super obsessed with film and advertisement--my favorite book is the History of Design--with plans to study both at University. Oh, and I am also on track to become a beekeeper/bird keeper.

Kaxbe

Jun 4, 2013
I haven't had the time to do so lately because of schoolwork, but aside from video games, I would paint and read up on various social subjects.

Although, my more unconventional hobby would be beta fish breeding.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
So I'm assuming the stereotype is the anti-social, bad with members of the opposite sex, basement dweller right?

Umm, I'm in a healthy, long-term relationship, and I'm addicted to crossfit. I guess I'm a pretty decent artist too.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I run obstacle courses for kicks and fitness. Walls, ropes, beams, water etc. Great fun. I also practice archery and kenjutsu.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Gardening, cooking, painting, trying to stay fit, crocheting. It's probably crocheting. That's the one.

Stalag

Jun 23, 2013
I work for a company you've never heard of designing software you really wouldn't care about and don't have much time for any hobbies outside of gaming... and even in that I'm considered a "casual"

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I've been playing the guitar for about 9 years now. I'm a frat* guy, and mildly athletic.
I'm learning Japanese, watch anime, and love RTS's.

*It's a Jewish frat, and half the guys are nerdy.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
You wouldn't know it from watching me flail ineffectually in nightclubs (assuming you could get me into a nightclub in the first place, of course.) but I'm actually a pretty talented dancer. I've been dancing as part of one amateur performance company or another since middle school, and I've continued right into college. I focused more on modern dance in my younger days, but as I've gotten older I've seen more of the appeal of ballet, too. Loads of fun, and it's all kept me in great shape (and very flexible, ladies! Kidding, kidding. I'm pretty sure sharing a dressing room with a bunch of guys and girls in my most hormonal years is what turned me asexual. I just got inured to it.)

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Gamers are shy, timid, anti-social rejects?

I'm actually a talented public speaker with experience in broadcasting and live theater.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I hike, go shooting, used to fly quite a bit(solo hours baby), and I'm currently enrolled in a military college.

So quite a few things.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Sports sports sports sports SPORTS!
Here, here!

... and follow my Minnesota Vikings with great interest. ...
And now I'm contractually obligated to despise you, no offense. Can't be having any warm sentiments in the NFC North.

0-16 for life!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Brutal Peanut said:
Gardening, cooking, painting, trying to stay fit, crocheting. It's probably crocheting. That's the one.
I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that I exclusively crochet extremely nerdy stuff like my Tom Baker scarf collection.

OT: I can't really think of anything right now. I work at the ambulance service, I guess that's kinda not stereotypical at all.

Mullac

Oct 6, 2012
Well apart from gaming I go sailing (only started a couple months ago but love it), play guitar (played for just over 5 years now and still find it frickin' awesome) and play badminton when it's the season.

Apart from those three things, games, films and other media is what I'm into.