What is your GOTY so far?

Jun 7, 2010
I'll probably only have bought three games this year.

Mass Effect 3 was mediocre.
Dishonored (which i've still to get) may or may not end up being the "best" game of this year, but that doesn't matter.
Spec Ops: The Line is getting my GOTY.
It is utterly outstanding.
You simply MUST play it.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I actually didn't get a lot of games this year, but I don't think I'm completely wrong when I say that Borderlands 2 is an absolute contender for everyone's list.

If I actually had played it, I'd be saying Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Borderlands 2 for me. I have Disonored but haven't played it yet. I watched my housemate play ME3 and thought it was excellent.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Depends on what criteria we're judging this by.

New IP that pleasantly surprised and shocked many gamers? In a toss-up between Spec Ops and Dishonored, I'd pick the latter. Both great games that shook up the FPS/TPS formats just a bit (Dishonored being Deus Ex meets Thief helped too).

A total game-changer for its respective genre? Guild Wars 2 has it all. I'd be surprised if the industry doesn't copy its model in the years moving forward. It's that good.

A sequel that refines everything that its predecessor did well? GW2 and Borderlands 2 both did it incredibly well.

Hell, RE6 could be a dark horse contender once people realize how much content the game is stacked with.

I don't consider X-COM, Diablo III or ME3 (or its fanboys) in my list, as they were good, but underwhelming in at least one way, shape or form (X-COM for not bringing back the horror and flexibility of the original games, D3 for its grindfest always-online gameplay, and ME3 for just about everything besides the combat). I don't see them winning anything this year.

I also don't see Halo 4 making much impact this year. Much shorter than previous campaigns, and mainly exists as a set-up for further games. Far Cry 3 could be awesome, but I haven't seen much gameplay to make an informed opinion.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
As it stands, so far my favourite game of the year is Persona 4 Arena. Guild Wars 2 comes in second.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I'm guessing it's Asura's Wrath for me but then again it's the only game released this year that I have picked up thus far.
But as it stands it is still one of the best multimedia experiences I've ever had with a game, even if the gameplay itself is lacking.

I tend to spend the year picking up games I didn't get from the year before and then picking up the current releases in December. So I'll have experienced Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 3 and probably Dishonored by year's end.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I haven't really brought that any games that came out this year, my choices would probably be between Mass Effect 3 which I thought was really good and I liked the ending too.

Tales of Graces f which is good despite it not being the best Tales game I've played.

Spec Ops: The Line which was just one of the most engrossing games I've played this year.

And Dishonored which I've been have having a lot of fun with.

Honourable mention to Journey, which I enjoyed but have played once and not played since. And probably XCOM: Enemy Unknown which I haven't gotten around to playing yet, but might be up there with the rest. I don't know what order this lot will be in by the end of the year though.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Seeing how I've played two new releases this year I'll go with Kingdom hearts 3D(the other game being P4 Arena,which was great too). The game seems to be channeling SMT:Nocturne in some aspects with fusing your enemies and the dropping mechanics. The actual combat is probably some of the best in the series,flowmotion combat while a bit frivolous is still tons of fun. The story does bring in time travel but handles it well enough and has got me exited for I assume KH3.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Brutal Doom.

Says everything

But in more current games I'm honestly lagging behind, my favourite recent game I played this year was Saints Row The Third. That is just the perfect crime-caper city sandbox game, it knew how to have fun unlike the pretentious crap of GTA4.

I still haven't played Max Payne 3 yet, that may be a top game for me.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I would have to say FTL for the best game released this year.

As for the best game I played this year, Dwarf Fortress.

In any case, both will annihilate your free afternoons and weekends.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Hmm there a few that have been released recently that I haven't played yet such as Dishonoured and XCOM so I feel kind of unfair calling that.

Borderlands 2 is definitely my multiplayer of the year.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
XCOM: Enemy Unknown. I just love the tactical application and management in games.

Faster than Light also gets special mentions for GOTY for me.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Dishonored my favourite game released this year that I have played. I wouldn't say it's my favourite game that I have actually played this year though.

That said the only other new games I have bought this year have been, Transformers FOC, Borderlands 2 and Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 3 was pretty bad, Transformers pretty average, and Borderlands 2 was pretty fun, but it's pretty much Borderlands 1 whereas Dishonored at least stands out on it's own.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I don't think I've played a 2012 game yet. I intend to play spec ops, and assassins creed 3 at some point, but probably not for a while.

Now the best game I played this year is metal solid 3. Yeah, I spend most of my gaming time, catching up on games I missed.