what is YOUR Guilty Game? (and why)

zealk

Oct 7, 2009
So your probably wondering what a Guilty game is. A guilty game is simply that, a game you are guilty to be playing, or ashamed to be enjoying. For instance, if you and all your buddies hate poke'mon and you find yourself with nothing to do and play lets say poke'mon red or something and enjoy it! Then its your guilty game. Every true gamer has one, even if they don't admit it or I have actually seen instances where the person was so deep in denial that they had convinced THEMSELVES that they did not like it. A buddy did not like halo due to boring game play, but loved modern warfare 2... BUT ONLY THE GAME PLAY. Deny it as much as you like but strip the characters, the plot and such away and the game play is the same thing.

So this fourm wouldn't be fair if i did not tell my Guilty game as well so here it is... Magic Pengel. A game that was made for young girls and Boys who need a way to tell their mommy they are in a closet. However there is no way I can deny its fun. The story is horrid, Apparently this world's animals come from little pixie things doodling. Every one had a pixie of their own and there were doodles galore... though i'd imagine if that happened here there would be a lot of cock-o-diles. Anyway to make the doodles (yes thats what they actually call them in game) you need these little color gems called color. Then some guy finds more fun things to do with Doodles than keep them as pets and started makings as many doodle slaves as he could. The pixies (aka the Pengels) got all hissy about him ripping off poke'mon that they all left. However they come back every now and then to serve people with pure hearts.

Now that i am done with the girly bit i can move on to what I like about the game. There are two stages to game play, making doodles and fighting other doodles. Making the doodles is the best part although you have to battle to earn the color, the new parts and the brushes. Making the doodle at first is difficult and your first one is going to be a blob with another blob sticking out that you told the game is a arm, but when you get the hang of it you can make some really cool stuff. I had three demons each biased on their own element and each with different strengths. Making doodles like that is really freaking hard! The game tells you earlier that doodles are baised one the three attacks of punch, magic, and block but leaves telling you that. then when you get into combat you see the joys in specializing. Combat is a game of rock paper, with one attack beating another, and that may sound dull but the design of the doodles takes so much into it. Its like playing a mech game where you spend hours picking out the best parts, fine tuning them all and the watch it tear the other mech limb from limb. With the exception of the fact that they are all colorful and cute.

(Look at this! this is actual game play)

The best part? Bosses... Yeah you would think that a game like this would have poor bosses, but thats not true. Imagine a orc in a peewee hockey game, then about every ten minutes Godzilla comes in and stomps on him. You go through the game with the same blob for a while, ignoring the new parts you can make and the new colors and brushes you have unlocked because he is working fine... then you fight your blob against a military jet! (i'm not kidding, there is a boss that is a futuristic military jet that shoots missiles!) So you go back and make a decent Doodle to see if you can hold Godzillas foot up a while longer this time.

Come to think of it... the best way to make you understand how fun it is... say some one made a Dead Rising clone, but now they where school girls and you dont kill them, you 'beautify' them. yes now its gay but it still would have the same game play. so what im saying is this is a great game that just put on the wrong suit.

Anyway i dont expect your reviews of your guilty game to be this big, but give us a understanding of why your guilty to enjoy it and why you do like it.

here is a link to show you how many things you can make in this game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmrH-N25T-0

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
GAH! WALL OF TEXT EXTREME EDITION!

OT: The Commander Keen series.

I'm WAY too old to be playing it by most people's standards, but the hell with them.

Childhood FTW!

zealk

Oct 7, 2009
Skorpyo said:
GAH! WALL OF TEXT EXTREME EDITION!

I'm WAY too old to be playing it by most people's standards, but the hell with them.

Childhood FTW!
lol, yeah i noticed when i posted, im getting some pics

Ashsaver

Your friendly Yandere
Jun 10, 2010
You're talking about guilty pleasure?

Well i played a lot of those i can't say the names but here's a few hints:They're Japanese games on PC.

zealk

Oct 7, 2009
Ashsaver said:
You're talking about guilty pleasure?

Well i played a lot of those i can't say the names but here's a few hints:They're Japanese games on PC.
yeah, but im only interested in the games you have guilty pleasures for... i figured there is a gamer way to say elite and laughing soooo why cant we have a special word for guilty pleasure games?

Ashsaver

Your friendly Yandere
Jun 10, 2010
zealk said:
yeah, but im only interested in the games you have guilty pleasures for... i figured there is a gamer way to say elite and laughing soooo why cant we have a special word for guilty pleasure games?
We don't have a special word for guilty pleasure games probably because these kind of things are....subjective? (is this the right word for it?) like Skorpyo up there,consider Commander Keen to be his guilty pleasure.

OT: well,if i have to name one.

This game is a mature only game,so if you're underage don't read what lies beneath the spoiler.

It's Artificial girl 3 a game that lets you create girls,their clothing,accessories etc. then import them into a game "world" to have your ways with them.

beside doing "things" to the girls,i enjoyed the game because of the creation parts,i can make the girl really hideous or really beautiful as i like,make a bunch of cool costumes for them to wear.

This game is better than any "Barbie" game ever release.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Little My Maid.

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.148564-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Little-My-Maid>For some very obvious reasons.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
As Ashsaver and NeutralDrow i have kind of similar guilty games...But i dont have any real shame or guilt when it comes to those games.

Umm...The Megaman X series...I not to old! I still play X3 and i love it. And i do play the other ones to but X3 will always be my favorite.

Allison Chainz

Oct 28, 2010
The whole idea of a guilty pleasure annoys me. Personally I don't feel guilty about anything I enjoy and can't enjoy anything I feel guilty about. Way I see it, if I feel that I can't openly discuss something that I do, I probably shouldn't be doing it.

Probably the weirdest game I have a mega crush on is Chu Chu Rocket. I've even been known to bust out singing the commercial in public. Some people think that all the sexual content I have fore Sims 2 is a little weird. I just like having my sims be more like real people with the good and bad that comes with the territory. There are quite a few teen moms in my neighborhoods.

The Topic Creator's game sounds fun. So does the one Ashsaver describes.

kailash

Mar 23, 2010
I tend to fall back into MUDs every now and again, and honestly of all the videogames and mmos and those are the hardest to try and explain and defend. Most non-gamers are like WTF is the matter with you staring at this rolling text of RPG words all day.

To me thats what makes games "guilty" pleasure, if it makes you look overly nerdy or something.

Aleate

Mar 24, 2009
I loved this game... and I still do. Hatsune Miku Project Diva (This one is from 2nd) I love the songs... I have no freakin' clue why...

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Honestly? Fallout New Vegas at the moment. I have this problem with all of the games in the series where I often find myself using the game to fill some hole in my social life. Whenever I notice such a thing, I'm actually bothered by it immensely.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Aleate said:
I loved this game... and I still do. Hatsune Miku Project Diva (This one is from 2nd) I love the songs... I have no freakin' clue why...
Yup, this is mine too, though it's becoming less guilty and more loud and proud as I've started playing it in public lately. My coworkers don't know how to take it yet.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Skorpyo said:

Childhood FTW!
Exactly =) I spent many fun times playing Commander keen when I was younger, and I'd love to be able to play it again today.

OT: Cooking Mama 3? The series really just got sillier as it went along, but...it's just so addictive to make dumplings!!

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
If I love a game idc I love it. Most of my friends that game used to say stuff about me playing the sims though

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
I don't exactly feel guilty about it, but I'd have to say Final Fight: Streetwise.

I don't care what anyone says, I enjoy the combat and the utter ridiculousness.

WhyLater

Sep 21, 2009
I'd have to say D&D, because really, it's about as geeky as you get. But I offset my shame by overemphasizing how much I love it. I have embraced my D&D geekdom. For instance, this past week I brought up the Axes of Alignment as a serious academic point in my Postmodern Literary Theory class. Then I said something about dragons, to be cool.

Firius

Oct 28, 2010
Aleate said:
I loved this game... and I still do. Hatsune Miku Project Diva, I love the songs... I have no freakin' clue why...
I have to admit, this is simialar to mine, I would be very surprised if anyone else played what I play though....K-ON Hokago Live.
EDIT:link failed... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-17nyZ-CoOg

I like it for the songs too, I'm surprised that this was the topic that finally got me out of lurking though.

zealk

Oct 7, 2009
wow, thanks for the list guys... uhh reminder, if you are a true gamer you do have one but if your not willing to admit it then dont post please.